Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]FAKE SMC plugins kills USBports over VIA chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
CPU
i7 3770K OC:4.2GHz
Graphics
GTX960 (Asus strix)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
MBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH.
Chippy: i7 3770K
Graphic: HD4000 (internal)
MB: 5.3.1

I have a running system for some time. ALL usb ports work on my mobo. Some users reported that the USB ports that are driven by the VIA chipset don't work, but in my case they do. Happy me.

Two things i cannot make work and that is hardware acceleration. Don't know if that is really a worry. Other thing that does not work is the HW monitor plugin.

Today i tried to install the plugins again. I checked fakeSMC plugins 5.1.61, plugins and HWmonitor Application. But this time i also checked FakeSMC v5.1.61, something i forgot to do in the past. TADA! HW monitor works! Finally. BUT: now my USB on the VIA chipset is dead!
So, it looks like something in FakeSMC v5.1.61 is killing my USB ports on the VIA chipset.

If i take my safety copy and use CCC to copy my Library/Sytemfolder/Extensions back all USB ports are working again, (but not HW monitor).

Anyone any idea what i could do to make both HWmonitor and USB(VIA) work?

I tried to install the FakeSMC 's of the latest MultiBeast 5.4.3; version 5.2.725; but the same behaviour.

What is interesting is that my Wacom is connected to one of the VIA-usb ports. At boot, the LED lights up. But as soon as the extensions are loaded, during the grey screen with the apple logo, the light vanishes. That makes me think again it is something in the extensions.

Anyone? How can i (temporarily) turn extensions on and off?

Cheers, Fokke

FAKE SMC plugins kills USBports over VIA chipset.

Solved.

With the seperate kext from this post. The same kext is in the latest MB5.4.3 but on my system it gives an installation error. With the help of kext wizard i could make it install and my VIA USB ports are back alive. And hardware monitor is fully functioning.

RehabMan's version will no doubt be in the next MultiBeast, in the meantime you can find it here.

https://code.google.com/p/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/list

Adrian B

I think lately, MacMan has been including Zenith432's build in Multibeast. They are functionally the same other than the fact that Zenith432's build is a universal binary and is built for both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. Given that I always run 64-bit on ML and Lion, my build is 64-bit only and as a result is smaller.

An the version in this 5.4.3 multibeast gives me an Installation Failed error. The seperate kext doesn't.

An the version in this 5.4.3 multibeast gives me an Installation Failed error. The seperate kext doesn't.

You don't want the one in MB 5.4.3. It is not compatible with 10.8.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back