Contribute
Register

[Solved] Fail on Mojave upgrade GA-270N-WIFI stuck need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Centris
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Lisa
  7. Performa
  8. Plus
  9. Power Mac
  10. PowerBook
  11. Quadra
  12. SE
  13. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hello,
My build:
- GA-H270N-WIFI
- Intel i7 7700K
- MSI Radeon RX560 8GB
- Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 ssd

I had a fine running system with OS X 10.13.6. Then I tried to upgrade directly. After first reboot I got a white screen with Apple logo. Nothing more. I thought I had prepared my EFI folder properly before the update, update clover boot loader, update kexts etc. But seems something is not compatible.

I made a new install Mojave USB. I am able now to boot into the USB and I completed the Mojave installation. Well I think so but still there is an option to boot from "Boot macOS Install from Prebooter from Preboot" and "Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD". So I have to boot from USB and then choose Macintosh HD. In verbose mode I get the attached screen. It stops at

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3....

I have now disabled the RX560 GPU and only running from Intel onboard graphics to make sure it is not a graphics issue.
Anyone seen this issue and have any advice?

DSC_0006.JPG

Hello,
My build:
- GA-H270N-WIFI
- Intel i7 7700K
- MSI Radeon RX560 8GB
- Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 ssd

I had a fine running system with OS X 10.13.6. Then I tried to upgrade directly. After first reboot I got a white screen with Apple logo. Nothing more. I thought I had prepared my EFI folder properly before the update, update clover boot loader, update kexts etc. But seems something is not compatible.

I made a new install Mojave USB. I am able now to boot into the USB and I completed the Mojave installation. Well I think so but still there is an option to boot from "Boot macOS Install from Prebooter from Preboot" and "Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD". So I have to boot from USB and then choose Macintosh HD. In verbose mode I get the attached screen. It stops at

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3....

I have now disabled the RX560 GPU and only running from Intel onboard graphics to make sure it is not a graphics issue.
Anyone seen this issue and have any advice?

View attachment 371681
## UPDATE ##
I am now able to boot into Macintosh HD (must boot from USB!)and it finished the Mojave upgrade (even though I already did a reinstall from USB). But I seemed to have some unfinished stuff. But it still would not boot before I removed the RX560 and used only internal graphics.

So then I could log in but now is the problem. I can not mount EFI folder from Clover Configurator 5.3.2.0. Mount EFI does nothing. I also tried EFI Mounter V3 and EFI Mounter Pro from Insanelymac. (Operation not supported - error).

How do I mount the EFI folder to change it? Here is what happens in terminal:

diskutil.png

Last edited:
How do I mount the EFI folder to change it? Here is what happens in terminal:
Incorrect: sudo diskutil mountDisk disk0s1
Try: sudo diskutil mount disk0s1

Note: Make sure you do not boot in safe mode, as you can only mount /EFI in normal mode.

Thanks @BreBo ,you were right, the reason I could not mount EFI was safe mode. I managed to get a bootable USB and then I could mount the EFI on the system drive. I am not sure really what I did but stripped down everything except my DSDT that I have used some time to get right.

So everything is up and running on OS X 10.14.1 now. This was not straight forward! What a mess. I have upgraded 4 hacintoshes now from 10.13 to 10.14. Every one took me hours of research and troubleshooting :(

Thanks @BreBo ,you were right, the reason I could not mount EFI was safe mode. I managed to get a bootable USB and then I could mount the EFI on the system drive. I am not sure really what I did but stripped down everything except my DSDT that I have used some time to get right.

So everything is up and running on OS X 10.14.1 now. This was not straight forward! What a mess. I have upgraded 4 hacintoshes now from 10.13 to 10.14. Every one took me hours of research and troubleshooting :(
Any hints/tips on getting mojave installed on this motherboard. I appear to be running into a bit of a block and not sure why. Using onboard video card and am trying a unibeast install now to see if I can get this running.

Any hints/tips on getting mojave installed on this motherboard. I appear to be running into a bit of a block and not sure why. Using onboard video card and am trying a unibeast install now to see if I can get this running.
I don't have the GA-270N here now since I built it for a friend. Recently he had no problem upgrading from OS X 10.14.6 to 10.15.2 directly (after I upgraded all his kexts to latest versions first!). In fact never had such an uncomplicated upgrade. If you don't get yours working I could get a copy of the EFI folder with a working DSDT etc. The BIOS setup on the motherboard should be straight forward, make sure that is correct first.
Haha - I see now that this thread was my own, never really got any help, but just writing about it may have fixed it :cool:

Last edited:
Here is attached a working EFI folder for GA-270N and running OS X 10.15.2 Catalina. Should work fine also on 10.14 Mojave. Don't forget to change the serial and board number.

Attachments

• ga_270_n_EFI.zip
    24 MB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back