Asus Maximus VIII Gene Z170
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
5600XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi! This is an odd one.

I just updated to 10.13.4 using my usual method.. clone boot drive to external usb ssd, then update MacOS, Clover, Nvidia.

Everything went as usual, although I chose to use the Nvidia-update script instead of the usual latest driver thing so I'm actually at an older driver version.

The issue is that my SSD that I clone the drive to is no longer visible in Disk Utility or diskutil after the update. It is still seen in the BIOS, and its entries still show up in Clover. So this seems to be a MacOS issue. I have not tried booting into a different version of the OS to verify that the ssd is visible there.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks,

Gerry

Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Did the upgrade convert the SSD to APFS and you don't have apfs.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI ?

The ssd already had apfs partitions on it, and I already have apfs.efi there. However, you bring up a point that I'm unclear on. I think that someplace I saw instructions that when upgrading macOS the apfs.efi in this folder should be manually upgraded? I have never done that and maybe that's why?

thanks,

gerry

Thanks! I'm not really clear where I would try to delete those files from though.

I got a little more info. The external SSD contains a Rescue Drive and a Clone of the main system drive in an encrypted partition. I booted into the Rescue Drive (10.13.2) from clover and opened up disk utility and took a picture (I don't know why its upside down sorry):

IMG_0624.JPG

Next I booted back into the main drive (10.13.4) and opened up disk utility and took a picture:
IMG_0625.JPG

I'm not sure if that helps, but I noticed that the device that contains Stuff is showing at the top of the list in the Rescue drive. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I also plugged in another external drive and my install usb's and none of them showed up. So it seems that all external usb devices are now broken.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the USB port limit patch? I never did the "proper" solution proposed by pastry chef, I'm just using the patch installed by multibeast. Maybe something changed there?

Thanks,

g

I got a little more info. The external SSD contains a Rescue Drive and a Clone of the main system drive in an encrypted partition.
In Disk Utility you should select View - Show all Devices.

In Disk Utility you should select View - Show all Devices.

OK, this is the result:

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.48.08 PM.png

The external devices are still missing. I think its interesting that they are missing at a hardware level rather than at the logical volume level.

The only other thing that I can think that might be related is that I used to have an fstab file to prevent the external drives and Windows drive from mounting at boot, and to mount the Windows drive in read only. When I upgraded to High Sierra, the Windows part still worked, but the External drives still mounted. So I would unmount them manually upon boot instead. Super Duper used to be able to mount the external drive at a scheduled time, and since the High Sierra upgrade has been unable to. So maybe there is something funny going on with my particular configuration and High Sierra (which was a fresh install)

Last edited:
I have problems with external USB drives too, however, it started a couple of days AFTER I installed 10.13.4 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back