Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Ethernet port dead after 10.11.6 install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi P1lgrim,

Well, I'm putting this down to a faulty ethernet port. Have just managed to boot a backup of the system and ethernet seems dead in that system also. Tried other cables, router etc... to zero avail.

Strangely my backup refuses to boot with the GPU it's been running for ages. Had a GT640 laying around which happily boots without Nvidia drivers – there appears to be native support for this so will stay with that.

Can't d/l Sierra without logging into AppStore so knocked that game on the head.

Many thanks for your attention and tips.

Hi P1lgrim,
Well, I'm putting this down to a faulty ethernet port. Have just managed to boot a backup of the system and ethernet seems dead in that system also. Tried other cables, router etc... to zero avail.

So, after some kerfuffle I'm back on deck. Turns out the ethernet port on the previous motherboard was severely fried. I booted the machine with a copy of Ubuntu, which also showed no existence of an ethernet port. The Ubuntu installer is quite special, as you can boot the entire system from a DVD and use it in a trial way. Great for formatting drives in NTFS, like other systems don't.

So, I hurriedly grabbed a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 motherboard with an i5 2500K onboard. And for a fair price, I'll add. Surprisingly, the board booted up into 10.11.6 with the system build for the GA-H67-MA-USB3. However, have started from scratch with a new system.

Thanks again for your help, P1LGRIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back