Graphics
Intel HD 4400
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This morning everything worked fine. Come back after a while and computer has crashed. Reboot. I get a message never seen before from the BIOS: "Your BIOS is corrupted. Loading BIOS settings from backup BIOS". Ok. After boot, no more ethernet. System Preferences>Networks shows Ethernet(built-in) as RED, cable disconnected. I have encountered this a couple of times before, and a reboot would fix it.

But not this time. I tried everything I could think of:
- checked BIOS settings. Everything looks normal. LAN enabled
- re-apply MultiBeast
- change network driver freom Apple Intel to IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0
- replace ethernet cable

Nothing. LED on ethernet connector is a slow yellow blink (not sure what it was before).

Any ideas? Hardware problem? Can I get a PCIe ethernet card natively supported by macOS?

System info below.

Solution: I think my problem was a hardware problem of the motherboard LAN. So I bought a new PCIe LAN board. This is an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO /1000, $36 at Central Computer. It has the Intel 82574L controller, which is natively supported by macOS. All I needed to do was to install the AppleIntelE1000e kext with MultiBeast.

Notes:
- I could have bought the TP Link TG-3468 ($15 or so), and loaded the Realtek LAN kext
- the IntelMausiEthernet kext would not work, as it dropped support for this old controller

I just tried an Intel Expi9301ctblk with the AppleIntelE1000e kext via MultiBeast and got things working as well. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back