i7 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!

I have successfully installed High Sierra on my (old) Hackintosh system (Intel core i7 3,41 GHz, Asus P8P67-M Pro motherboard) but I can't boot without USB installer. Everything else works, wifi, Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics, external audio interface.

I found a guide how to copy EFI files to the partition to boot from. The problem is that I can't mount the partition as it seems to not be an EFI disk type. Is there any way make this partition EFI or do I have to install everything from the beginning? I have tried post installation with multibeast several times without success.

I have attached a screenshot of the partitions in Clover Configurator if that can be of any help. I am all new to the Hackintosh world so I need all the help I can get. I want to boot from the volume called High Sierra (464 gb).

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-03-09 kl. 13.20.18.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-03-09 kl. 13.20.18.png
    180 KB · Views: 633
Hello!

I have successfully installed High Sierra on my (old) Hackintosh system (Intel core i7 3,41 GHz, Asus P8P67-M Pro motherboard) but I can't boot without USB installer. Everything else works, wifi, Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics, external audio interface.

I found a guide how to copy EFI files to the partition to boot from. The problem is that I can't mount the partition as it seems to not be an EFI disk type. Is there any way make this partition EFI or do I have to install everything from the beginning? I have tried post installation with multibeast several times without success.

I have attached a screenshot of the partitions in Clover Configurator if that can be of any help. I am all new to the Hackintosh world so I need all the help I can get. I want to boot from the volume called High Sierra (464 gb).

• You are almost there since you have launched CCV> Clicked Mount EFI. Your EFIs of both USB and System disk are waiting to be 'mounted" on the desktop.
  • Do the following steps to complete that step:
  • From the Left end of Dock(Taskbar at the bottom) click Finder icon.
  • Then, from Top Menubar click "Finder" again to get a drop down menu and from that click "Preferences"
  • Click and place [√] on all boxes. This will make your Disks attached to the Motherboard to be displayed as their icons on Right side of Desktop to easily locate them to click and navigate.
  • Next go to CCV screen and click on 'Mount partition of each to show their EFI Partition icon (White for USB and dark for HDD/SSD) on the Desktop for easy navigation like EFI\EFI\CLOVER\
  • See composite image of all of the above steps using your image at its bottom uploaded named "EFI Mounting".

Attachments

• EFI Mounting.png
    EFI Mounting.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,537
  • You are almost there since you have launched CCV> Clicked Mount EFI. Your EFIs of both USB and System disk are waiting to be 'mounted" on the desktop.
  • Do the following steps to complete that step:
  • From the Left end of Dock(Taskbar at the bottom) click Finder icon.
  • Then, from Top Menubar click "Finder" again to get a drop down menu and from that click "Preferences"
  • Click and place [√] on all boxes. This will make your Disks attached to the Motherboard to be displayed as their icons on Right side of Desktop to easily locate them to click and navigate.
  • Next go to CCV screen and click on 'Mount partition of each to show their EFI Partition icon (White for USB and dark for HDD/SSD) on the Desktop for easy navigation like EFI\EFI\CLOVER\
  • See composite image of all of the above steps using your image at its bottom uploaded named "EFI Mounting".

Thank's for a quick respond.

I followed the instructions and managed to mount the system disk on the Desktop but it doesn't show as EFI partition in Clove Configurator. It says Apple HFS. The only EFI partition that shows on the Desktop is the High Sierra Recovery HD (that is the current boot disk what I can tell. It shouldn't be that I guess). If I open up the system disk "High Sierra" I can't find an EFI folder to copy the files to.
Skärmavbild 2018-03-09 kl. 15.52.49.png
Skärmavbild 2018-03-09 kl. 15.52.49.png

Thank's for a quick respond.

I followed the instructions and managed to mount the system disk on the Desktop but it doesn't show as EFI partition in Clove Configurator. It says Apple HFS. The only EFI partition that shows on the Desktop is the High Sierra Recovery HD (that is the current boot disk what I can tell. It shouldn't be that I guess). If I open up the system disk "High Sierra" I can't find an EFI folder to copy the files to.View attachment 318144 View attachment 318144
If I open up the system disk "High Sierra" I can't find an EFI folder to copy the files to.

• No problem.:)
  • You can just copy the EFI folder from your USB installer's EFI Partition icon ( which has everything it needs to boot to the installation screen to install this system on your hard disk and hence will have almost everything needed for the System disk to boot to its Login screen) and paste it on the dark EFI hdd look-like icon you have circled with Red

• You can just copy the EFI folder from your USB installer's EFI Partition icon ( which has everything it needs to boot to the installation screen to install this system on your hard disk and hence will have almost everything needed for the System disk to boot to its Login screen) and paste it on the dark EFI hdd look-like icon you have circled with Red
Edited to add:
You had not run Multibeast or Stand alone CLOVER on the System Hard disk.
That is why you cannot see EFI folder inside the EFI Partition of the System hard disk
Edited to add and clarify:

• Once you click "Mount Partition" , DO NOT look inside the divided CCV window anymore.
  • Just concentrate on the Desktop Right side with the mounted White EFI ( recipient) and Dark EFI (Donor)
  • The Dark EFI is the DONOR and the White EFI partition is the Recipient of this EFI Folder Transplant!

Last edited:
Edited to add:
You had not run Multibeast or Stand alone CLOVER on the System Hard disk.
That is why you cannot see EFI folder inside the EFI Partition of the System hard disk
Now I have copied the EFI Folder to the System Hard drive but I just can't get i to boot without USB. What am I doing wrong? When I remove the USB installer from the computer it just boots into my windows system. I have set the system to boot from Mac OS HDD in bios but it doesn't seem to help. It just boots into Win10. It seems so simle to just copy the EFI folder to the system disk but it just don't work for me.

Now I have copied the EFI Folder to the System Hard drive but I just can't get i to boot without USB. What am I doing wrong? When I remove the USB installer from the computer it just boots into my windows system. I have set the system to boot from Mac OS HDD in bios but it doesn't seem to help. It just boots into Win10. It seems so simle to just copy the EFI folder to the system disk but it just don't work for me.
Now I have copied the EFI Folder to the System Hard drive but I just can't get i to boot without USB.

• You should copy the Blue EFI folder from your USB's White EFI Partition mounted on the Desktop but SHOULD NOT PASTE it onto the dark System Drive!
  • You should paste the BLUE EFI FOLDER from USB's White EFI Partition on to the Dark EFI icon of the System Disk circled in Red in your image.
  • EFI Folder must be in EFI Partition (200+MB) NOT the Major System Partition ( which is in Gigabyte or Terabyte)

• You should copy the Blue EFI folder from your USB's White EFI Partition mounted on the Desktop but SHOULD NOT PASTE it onto the dark System Drive!
  • You should paste the BLUE EFI FOLDER from USB's White EFI Partition on to the Dark EFI icon of the System Disk circled in Red in your image.
  • EFI Folder must be in EFI Partition (200+MB) NOT the Major System Partition ( which is in Gigabyte or Terabyte)
Hello again! I finally got Mac OS to boot correctly but with a different solution. I read a post (don't remember where) that someone did a Multibeast installation but choosed legacy boot instead. I tried that and it worked! I'm not sure if it will cause any problems but I will go with that for now. The only problem I have at the moment is with Cubase 7.5 not working correctly but I have posted another thread about that in the music section. Hopefully someone can help me with that.

Hello again! I finally got Mac OS to boot correctly but with a different solution. I read a post (don't remember where) that someone did a Multibeast installation but choosed legacy boot instead. I tried that and it worked! I'm not sure if it will cause any problems but I will go with that for now. The only problem I have at the moment is with Cubase 7.5 not working correctly but I have posted another thread about that in the music section. Hopefully someone can help me with that.
Good for you .
You must have installed the System on your hard disk in Legacy Mode.
Your original post began with a POST installation issue without mentioning how you installed the System on your Hard disk

Please update your profile with your hardware specs added to it by clicking Personal Details

You can just copy the EFI folder from your USB installer's EFI Partition icon ( which has everything it needs to boot to the installation screen to install this system on your hard disk and hence will have almost everything needed for the System disk to boot to its Login screen) and paste it on the dark EFI hdd look-like icon you have circled with Red

Hey Guys - just stumbled across this chat and wanted to confirm -
(Apologies if there is a Mojave version of this thread, I couldn't find it)

I have a working Mojave hack now, but wanted to try a Clover dual boot with Win10. So I want to make sure that everything I have done to this build thus far is archived and saved.

Can I just mount my working Mojave EFI Partition, and then save the contents, so that if my future tinkering messes up my build, I could go back and get that working EFI partition, and then overwrite it to a broken EFI partition (I always assume I will break something)?

I don't need to clone the whole drive at this point , a la Time Machine or CCC, as it has 500 gb of software and media on that is already backed up (I can always re-download software, photos on iCloud, etc).

Thanks for any help, or redirection to a better location for this post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back