Graphics
HD 5870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've installed Big Sur (OpenCore) for the first time and trying to nail down a few issues. This is the last one, I think. When the computer boots, at the login screen the display goes blank for about 15 seconds, then resumes normal operation. When the display goes to sleep, the screen goes blank, the monitor enters its sleep mode with the LED backlights turning off, and then about 10 seconds later it LED backlights come on again. But then the screen goes blank without the desktop appearing and the backlights go off and the monitor enters sleep mode again. This cycle continues endlessly about every 30 seconds. Pressing the spacebar or mouse button brings up the desktop just fine, so it's only this repeating cycle that I need to get sorted out. Right now, all I can do is either shut the computer down, or turn the display off. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Which system are you having this issue on?

What if any Shutdown/sleep settings have you applied to this system? Any USB/shutdown SSDT's or kexts injected by your bootloader (OpenCore?).

Have you configured the USB ports for this system? As this is not your first Hackintosh, I would assume you have dealt with this issue.

How are the Systemwide Power Settings configured? See the Terminal Commands in the attached text file, see if applying these help.

Attachments

• Disable hibernation commands.rtf 2.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 66
What if any Shutdown/sleep settings have you applied to this system? Any USB/shutdown SSDT's or kexts injected by your bootloader (OpenCore?).

Have you configured the USB ports for this system? As this is not your first Hackintosh, I would assume you have dealt with this issue.

How are the Systemwide Power Settings configured? See the Terminal Commands in the attached text file, see if applying these help.
A. It's not set to shut down automatically. In System Preferences > Energy Saver, I have:
  1. Turn display off set to 1 hour (screen saver comes on after 10 minutes)
  2. Set to wake on LAN
  3. Set to put hard disks to sleep when possible
  4. Set to prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
  5. Enable power nap
  6. The only thing not enabled on this screen is start up automatically after a power failure
B. No USB/shutdown SSDTs or kexts from OpenCore as far as I know.
C. I think USB is ok. I generated a USBPorts.kext for it using Hackintool to map the ports (exactly 15 ports).

In the file you attached, should I execute all of those commands, or one at a time to see if it fixes the issue?

I have now another issue that's popped up. The Finder has crashed twice in the last two days and cannot be relaunched. I have to reboot the computer to get it working again.

Thanks for your help.

The Terminal Commands should be used as follows:

Copy and paste:
sudo pmset -g

Take a snapshot of the Terminal output from this command and post it here. The output from this command will show the current Systemwide Power settings for your Hack.

This is a copy of the Systemwide Power Settings on my Hack iMac1 in my signature below:

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 16.04.34.png

Depending on what the output from the command above shows from your system, you may need to use the additional commands listed below. Each of the italicised commands should be entered (copy & pasted) in to the Terminal window, and you need to press the Enter/Return key after each line/command has been entered.

Disable Hibernation
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

The three commands above, together disable Hibernation, which doesn't work on a desktop Hack anyway. The first sets the Hibernation mode to 0. The second deletes the existing sleep image folder. The third makes a new directory named 'Sleepimage'.

Disable other hibernation options
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
sudo pmset powernap 0

The three commands above disable the three power settings standby, autopoweroff and powernap. As again our hack doesn't need or use these power settings.

Ideally you should not have your system set to 'Wake on Lan'. Nor should you have the Power Nap option enabled.

Using just one of the commands above would do little to help you set the power settings on your hack. The commands should be used as a whole to see if they help.

Start a new thread about your new issue in Finder, otherwise this will get messy.

@Edhawk

Here's the initial output:
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 1
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake 1
powernap 1
gpuswitch 2
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
standbydelayhigh 86400
sleep 0
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 0
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow 86400

And here is what it looks like after executing the six commands you listed above:
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake 1
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
standbydelayhigh 86400
sleep 0 (sleep prevented by mds_stores)
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 0
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow 86400

I will reboot to see how it does.

Thanks very much for the detailed response and explanation.

Well, 3 and 25 did not work, either. And pmset did not accept 29. I'm beginning to think my problem lies elsewhere.

Probably, but I wanted to see if the power, sleep & hibernation settings were causing the issue. Revert to hibernate mode 0.

The next thing to look into is your USB configuration. Can you post a copy of the USBPorts.kext you are using plus a copy of your config.plist, so we can see what you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back