Graphics
Pulse Radeon RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was looking to get the info to mount my EFI partition. Can anyone tell me what disk 4 is and if it should be there. I know what all the other drives are. Disk 4 does not show up in EFI Mounter.

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 20.58.39.jpg

I really don't like this... I've also had it appear after installing 10.13.
This is some sort of a container partition that was used to convert the hard drive to APFS

Disk 3 is what WAS your 10.12 boot drive I suppose, but after 10.13 was installed disk 4 appeared which
is linked to Disk3s2 (which is the main storage of that disk)
and if you look at disk3s2 is says "container disk4"...

I really hope this isn't how APFS is setup from now on...

I was looking to get the info to mount my EFI partition. Can anyone tell me what disk 4 is and if it should be there. I know what all the other drives are. Disk 4 does not show up in EFI Mounter.

View attachment 285025

disk4 is your APFS container drive. It is associated with physical storage at disk3s2, as you can clearly see in the output.

I really don't like this... I've also had it appear after installing 10.13.
This is some sort of a container partition that was used to convert the hard drive to APFS

Disk 3 is what WAS your 10.12 boot drive I suppose, but after 10.13 was installed disk 4 appeared which
is linked to Disk3s2 (which is the main storage of that disk)
and if you look at disk3s2 is says "container disk4"...

I really hope this isn't how APFS is setup from now on...

If you don't like it, use HFS+J.
This is how APFS works.

This is how APFS works.

But.. but... but.. I like shiny new things XD

Is there a real significant improvement for SSD performance using APFS?
because it seems to me that after I've had 10.13 installed I've lost a lot of performance is some apps.
specifically chrome which had a very awful bug that every time I would watch a video and click on fullscreen it would jerk really badly when stretching to full screen. Some thing that Safari for example didn't experience.

And in general I've had a general feeling of somewhat slow performance of the system it self.
and now I'm back at 10.12.6 since the supplemental update just crashed and I couldn't go past clover, it would just restart every time.

disk4 is your APFS container drive. It is associated with physical storage at disk3s2, as you can clearly see in the output.

This is how APFS works.

Its not that I don't like it I just wondered what it was. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back