2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE
  7. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After I upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur (currently at 11.0.1 Beta (20B5012d)) I started to get random crashes. Screen would freeze and computer had to be hard reset.

I left Console.app running I could see there were always some "virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2..." and "void IOAccelEventMachine2..." errors before the crash:

IMG_0988.jpeg

Then I disabled the iGPU in BIOS and the crashes went away.

Does anyone know if any settings need to be tweaked for the iGPU + dGPU to work better in Big Sur? I can live without the iGPU and only use the dGPU, but without it, video/DRM is broken in Safari.

MB: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
dGPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 560 4 GB
SystemProductName: iMac17,1

OpenCore: 0.6.2
Lilu: 1.4.7
WhateverGreen: 1.4.2

AAPL,ig-platform-id=01001219
Boot-args: keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 shikigva=80 -v brcmfx-driver=2 brcmfx-country=SE

After I upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur (currently at 11.0.1 Beta (20B5012d)) I started to get random crashes. Screen would freeze and computer had to be hard reset.

I left Console.app running I could see there were always some "virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2..." and "void IOAccelEventMachine2..." errors before the crash:

View attachment 493739

Then I disabled the iGPU in BIOS and the crashes went away.

Does anyone know if any settings need to be tweaked for the iGPU + dGPU to work better in Big Sur? I can live without the iGPU and only use the dGPU, but without it, video/DRM is broken in Safari.

MB: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
dGPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 560 4 GB
SystemProductName: iMac17,1

OpenCore: 0.6.2
Lilu: 1.4.7
WhateverGreen: 1.4.2

AAPL,ig-platform-id=01001219
Boot-args: keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 shikigva=80 -v brcmfx-driver=2 brcmfx-country=SE

I personally Use Imac Pro 1,1 even on the z170 system that I gave away earlier this year, I never noticed any issues. However, when you change out your system definition software will require you to re-register it.

When you turn off the Igpu do you remove the shikigva boot argument also? Maybe without the IGPU turned on and shikigva boot argument your DRM will work.

When you turn off the Igpu do you remove the shikigva boot argument also? Maybe without the IGPU turned on and shikigva boot argument your DRM will work.

I've tried and turned it off, but DRM still won't work. I have only got DRM to work when I have iGPU enabled + shikigva=80.

Otherwise I haven't messed around with any settings yet. I can always use other web browsers for video/DRM content.

But I also updated Lilu and WhateverGreen yesterday. I'll enable the iGPU again and see if the crash issue persist with the updated kexts.

I've tried and turned it off, but DRM still won't work. I have only got DRM to work when I have iGPU enabled + shikigva=80.

Otherwise I haven't messed around with any settings yet. I can always use other web browsers for video/DRM content.

But I also updated Lilu and WhateverGreen yesterday. I'll enable the iGPU again and see if the crash issue persist with the updated kexts.
Pretty sure that if you changed your system definition to Imac Pro the DRM would work since that is a pretty common way to make DRM content work on a hack. I am personally not a big fan of the IGPU it always gives me trouble.

Pretty sure that if you changed your system definition to Imac Pro the DRM would work since that is a pretty common way to make DRM content work on a hack. I am personally not a big fan of the IGPU it always gives me trouble.
But if I change model, will not Messages/iCloud break? I really don't want to set that up again. Just logging out/in to iCloud is a pain (re-syncing the whole Photos library, iCloud Drive etc).

I've now re-enabled the iGPU + shikigva=80. So far no crashes...

I still do have playback issues in Safari though. But it's probably due to problems with the latest Safari version: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-for-systems-with-amd-gpu.288015/post-2177141

But if I change model, will not Messages/iCloud break? I really don't want to set that up again. Just logging out/in to iCloud is a pain (re-syncing the whole Photos library, iCloud Drive etc).

I've now re-enabled the iGPU + shikigva=80. So far no crashes...

I still do have playback issues in Safari though. But it's probably due to problems with the latest Safari version: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-for-systems-with-amd-gpu.288015/post-2177141

Yes, you would have to logout and back into iCloud however, syncing should be Automatic with your apple ID these days.

Still no crashes, I think the issue is resolved. So I guess the solution was one of the following two:

- I found an error in my config.plist: the AAPL,ig-platform-id type was set to String instead of Data.
- I updated Lilu to 1.4.8 and WhateverGreen to 1.4.3 (now running 1.4.9 and 1.4.4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back