Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630, 4K
Has anyone running High Sierra on Dell XPS 13 9434 successfully updated to 10.3.4? My machine has been running fine with 10.13.3 but it just could not get updated to 10.13.4. Mac App Store would download, reboot and install the updates. When It reboots to back Clover there is a "Boot macOS Install" option, which was a leftover from updating to 10.13.3, as well the normal "Boot macOS" option. I tried both after every downtown/reboot/install cycle. The system is still 10.13.3.

This machine has a history of problems of running macOS update. First, there was a workaround for directly install the updates under /Library/Updates, which stopped working some versions ago. Then set SMBIOS to iMac 16.1 made it work until now. Anyone has success updating to 10.13.4 please share your experiences and the Clover config files.

Last edited:
Has anyone running High Sierra on Dell XPS 13 9434 successfully updated to 10.3.4? My machine has been running fine with 10.13.3 but it just could get updated to 10.13.4. Mac App Store would download, reboot and install the updates. When It reboots to back Clover there is a "Boot macOS Install" option, which was a leftover from updating to 10.13.3,

Not a left over.
It is part of the 10.13.4 update process.
You must boot it until it goes away.

Not a left over.
It is part of the 10.13.4 update process.
You must boot it until it goes away.

I first noticed the "Boot macOS Install" option when updated to 10.3.3. The update was successful but this options remained there. Maybe 10.13.4 over-writed it. I tried to boot from "Boot macOS Install" options at least two consecutive times but it just won't get into 10.13.4. Probably the process was never finished, seems an old problem with 9343. Looking for yet another workaround.

I first noticed the "Boot macOS Install" option when updated to 10.3.3. The update was successful but this options remained there. Maybe 10.13.4 over-writed it. I tried to boot from "Boot macOS Install" options at least two consecutive times but it just won't get into 10.13.4. Probably the process was never finished, seems an old problem with 9343. Looking for yet another workaround.

You must boot the updater/installer until it goes away.
The installer/updater is multiple phases across several reboots.

You must boot the updater/installer until it goes away.
The installer/updater is multiple phases across several reboots.

The "boot updater/installer" just could not finish with some panic message flashed too fast I could not read. In the end, I use the USB installer to boot and managed to have the update installed. But then the system won't boot into 10.13.4 with seemingly the same panic message flashed too fast I could not read.

Without a clue, I ran the EFI-shell and found that the BIOS setting DVMT was reset to the original value. After setting it again, the system boots fine. Have no idea when the BIOS setting was reset and why the same setting worked for 10.13.3 but failed to boot with 10.13.4 updater.

The "boot updater/installer" just could not finish with some panic message flashed too fast I could not read. In the end, I use the USB installer to boot and managed to have the update installed. But then the system won't boot into 10.13.4 with seemingly the same panic message flashed too fast I could not read.

Probably due to DVMT prealloc being set incorrectly.
Use invalid ig-platform-id.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back