4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated Clover to v 5118,
updated all kexts to latest (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, virtual SMC)
Downloaded catalina updater through Software update. It did the install/restart but does not detect the new installer partition, and boots back into 10.15.4.

This happened last time to me, and I ended up installing the total install package rather than the updater. Hoping for a better alternative.
Oh, I did use f11 at boot to try to flush nvram. Doesn't seem to help.

I'm not sure what is going on. If you use Clover Configurator, when you go into Boot, what is your Default Boot Volume?

Alternatively, in your config.plist, what is your Boot > DefaultVolume?

Updated Clover to v 5118,
updated all kexts to latest (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, virtual SMC)
Downloaded catalina updater through Software update. It did the install/restart but does not detect the new installer partition, and boots back into 10.15.4.

This happened last time to me, and I ended up installing the total install package rather than the updater. Hoping for a better alternative.
Oh, I did use f11 at boot to try to flush nvram. Doesn't seem to help.

I'm not sure why you ask that - it is not having any problem finding the boot disk. Nevertheless here is what you asked for
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>MosheSSD</string>

(which is the correct name of the boot drive)

The issue is that it is not recognizing the install partition. It does recognize the old boot partition.

I'm not sure why you ask that - it is not having any problem finding the boot disk. Nevertheless here is what you asked for
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>MosheSSD</string>

(which is the correct name of the boot drive)

The issue is that it is not recognizing the install partition. It does recognize the old boot partition.

It was just a hunch! I'm not sure why it's not working correctly.

Success. Of course, it was me. I did need to reset the NVRAM, and thought I did the f11 step correctly, but did not. On the Apple keyboard you have to hit Option-F11 or it maps to Volume down instead. After doing that, it was able to install as it should.

Glad to try to help. My CPU is the skylake 6100. I'm running on a GB H170N. This combination does not have hardware NVRam, so I am also using the clover software to emulate NVRAM. Apparently, when using the Apple installer, the emulated NVRam does not update and leads to booting into the existing (older) system rather than temporary installer needed to complete the installation process. But, the trick here is that at the stage when the Clover screen is visible -one can issue the keyboard command F11 (the hardware function 11 key on many keyboards). This tells Clover to reset the NVRam.
For many people this is enough. I was a bit confused because it didn't seem to work for me. But my confusion resulted from using an Apple keyboard, where the F11 function is not executed unless you hit the alt/option key and press the F11 button simultaneously. Then it does work. At that point complete the boot process and run/install the updater again. On the next restart cycle, the new boot installer should be visible. Or maybe yet again reset the NVRam. Anyway, it did eventually work for me. It may take an additional cycle of booting to make it work.

Alternatively, the F3 command may reveal the hidden boot option. So i've read, but never tried.
I believe a help list of Clover commands can be generated at boot by hitting F1 or Esc then F1.

Last edited:
Well, Moshes, you saved me from my embarrassment of a week. Thanks to you, I finally got my update done.

I was going to try F11 first and then eventually try option+F11.

For those who would have the same problem, here is precisely what I did: I downloaded the update from the preference panel and launched from it the restart cycle to update. Opening Clover: I press F11. The computer freezes. I restart with the power button. No change in Clover, macOS boot without installing the update. In the system preference panel I ask again for the reboot cycle for this update. This time in clover, the installation volumes are present.
Success.
I'm not sure that the right boot volume for the installation was selected automatically. The installation was done with the "Boot macOS Install from MacM2" volume, but there is discussion everywhere whether "macOS Install" or "Install PreBooter" is better.
Installation screen for 14 minutes.
Reboot.
In Clover now there are only the usual boot volumes. (I thought there were 2 reboots, right?)
Usual boot progress bar then 10 minute progress bar to complete the installation.
Only one reboot, then. I hope that's normal.
The system preference panel indicates that the system is up to date. The "About" section indicates 10.15.5 (19F101) -> 10.15.5 Supplemental Update.
It seems to have worked. Thank you very much.

Super! Glad to give back to the community that makes it all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back