Contribute
Register

[Solved] can't install Security Update 2018-001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it took rather long on my hardware too...and I'm using a SSD, restarted, installed and restarted again, shows about 45min but took about 20min altogether.
I had the same experience. It showed me it'd take like 38 minutes when I started, but end-to-end it took maybe 20. I'm also using an SSD. The previous supplemental update took a long time, too.

"INZICHT
May 4, 2018 at 9:40 PM#153
I updated through AS.
Got a black screen error after updating Nvidia driver. Editing my config.plist with CsrActiveConfig to 0x00 > reboot > CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 was the solution."

He reinstalled the driver with SIP enabled (0x00) and after reboot disabled the SIP (0x00). Those settings can be found in your config.plist opened in Clover Configurator under RT Variables. You can try the same with the updates, though you can keep SIP enabled now.

here is my symbols settings from the clover config

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
<string>09/03/2013</string>
<key>BiosVendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>IM142.88Z.0118.B00.1309031249</string>
<key>Board-ID</key>
<string>Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61</string>
<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
<key>BoardType</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
<string>iMac-Aluminum</string>
<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
<key>ChassisType</key>
<string>13</string>
<key>Family</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>Manufacturer</key>
<key>Mobile</key>
<false/>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>iMac14,2</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>--redacted--</string>
<key>Trust</key>
<false/>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>

Last edited:
Hi, @AllanMarcus. You changed your post before I had a chance to respond. I know you mentioned two plists, one at 14,2 and the other at 15,1. In Sierra the recommendation was to use iMac 14,2, because 15,1 caused a black screen, and currently in High Sierra they said, I believe, that 15,1 doesn't black screen now. The best fix for that anyway--NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext--are said by RehabMan to be important for Nvidia graphics in other ways, so should still be used. So use them. Here are pictures of my kexts and drivers.
kexts.pngdrivers.png
If yours don't match that, then I'd feel fairly safe in saying that since our systems are fairly close you could use these same kexts and drivers. I use HFS+. If you use APFS you need that driver.
Now I don't know your technical knowledge about tonymacx86 setups and all that, so I'd rather be crystal clear and not assume proficiency. I got into all this and just followed basic directions and never really put together in my head what I was doing and when El Capitan came around my settings were a mess, so I skipped eventually to Sierra--and man I had to read these posts endlessly to understand this stuff (but just for my system or ones close, though the basics are the same).

@ 15,1 is closer to the right setting for your system (than even mine is). But 14,2 is no problem until Apple makes that smbios obsolete.
@ If you ever make a new USB installer use the RehabMan's method I mentioned before.
@ In case you don't, always use Clover Configurator to work on your system configuration. It looks complex at the start, but once you get used to it it will be great. You can look at the EFI partition folder of any of your disks or your USB installer by goin down to Tools> Mount EFI. You can look at your Clover config.plist in the entire top section of the app by simply dragging the plist image to the Clover Configurator icon in your dock, which opens it up.

@ I wrote the following in another post, but pursue it since much still applies:

I suggest you follow ILikeHackintosh's guide exactly. Without this guide I would not have gotten past the point where you are now: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-black-screen-panics.234390/#post-1603620

Moving to High Sierra was very hard for me, so for anyone with a Z87 or Z97 motherboard who is trying to do this with difficulty, I am posting my notes, apologizing for length:

I added “Dart=0” (re RehabMan, which negates the VT-d that seems to be enabled by default in the UEFI) into Clover plist. Then I tried four different USB-drive installer setups, finally settling on RehabMan’s installation [MAKE NEW INSTALLER!]: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

With RehabMan’s fork of Clover and the High Sierra installer, I added my previous EFI file. I added additional kexts (for black screen, probably) and used his HFSPlus.efi, and have only the “Other” folder in kexts. [USE NEWEST KEXTS!]

But it was not until I added “MATS” in Clover Configurator’s ACPI Drop Tables (because of my Z87/Z97 board) that I could finally use the USB installer to actually install High Sierra: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/page-60
referred to this source, see the top of this page: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/kernel-panic-on-high-sierra-installation.233227/page-2 so that I was able to get past a kernel panic, showing a frozen white apple, as I tried to install. This is added into Clover plist:
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>MATS</string>
</dict>
</array>

Additionally, I had NOT been able to install from the boot SSD as an upgrade either, probably for the same reason.
[The kernel panic results from an invalid character in the MATS table in the system UEFI with Z87/ Z97 boards, as detailed by Moheban79 here (#7): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-in-clover-configurator-to-drop-mats.226488/ and worked out in Pikeralpha et. al. discussion, ”Chameleon and High Sierra…” for a solution re Z87/ Z97 boards and High Sierra: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/chameleon-and-high-sierra/ ]

However, because I definitely wanted to stay with HFS+ and not convert to APFS yet, I started the installation from the Install High Sierra app on the SSD partition, just to see if it would work now, and it did.

After the install, I could not boot into the High Sierra desktop—every attempt would go into a reboot before the login screen. Then I found and followed this brilliant guide from top to bottom:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-black-screen-panics.234390/#post-1603620 The numbered list below is derived from ILikeHackintosh’s instructions.

1) Removed NVDAStartupWeb.kext as directed, but did so by finding/removing from my other bootable SSD. Now I was able to reach the desktop!
2) I had none of the three mentioned kexts to remove.
3) Added EmuVariableUefi.efi into /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI.
4) Downloaded and installed the new NVIDIA Web Drivers fix kexts and then rebooted afterward:
  • Lilu.kext (>=1.20) [NOW AT LEAST 1.2.3]
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext (>=1.20) (requires Lilu.kext) [NOW AT LEAST 1.2.6]
  • Do not use NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext with them.
(See Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition if you use those definitions.)

5) Enabled SIP by editing Clover configuration file, set SIP-related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x00. Rebooted. Then before installing the web driver, I disabled SIP again by setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 as before.
6) Installed the latest NVIDIA web driver: (17A405) 378.10.10.10.15.120 [USE AT LEAST THE 25.104 WEB DRIVER]
7) NOW I was able to properly boot with the Nvidia graphics.

Because of this amazing post, #53, by Antilogical:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/page-6
I switched “Other OS” to “Windows 8” and this opened up the CSM Support option for the first time, and I turned this to “Never.” That was it! I finally fixed the monitor blackout, forcing a turn off-and-on of the monitor [DISPLAYPORT]. Now the Clover boot loader and the entire boot up process are in full resolution, and startup takes far less time than before!

@AllanMarcus, more in next post...

Last edited:
@AllanMarcus:
So here is a picture of my Clover folder:
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.29.11 AM.png
Ignore that whole bottom row, from "misc" to "tools". Now, inside "ACPI" is the "patched" folder for an SSDT.ami if you should ever make one (a different subject). Can be blank. Ignore "doc" folder.

That leaves "drivers64UEFI" for your drivers and "kexts" for your kexts--and then your one and only config.plist. Drag the image of that file to the dock icon of your Clover Configurator, and bang it fills out the info in the top section of the app.
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.40.07 AM.png Only MATS table dropped here. Next--
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.42.59 AM.png You may or may no want these settings, it's complicated.

Now, nothing much until Kernal and Kext patches:
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.45.37 AM.png That USB 10.13.4+ by PM... patch is GOOD to make USB3 work in 10.13.4.

Here is the top of the RT Variables section:
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.48.11 AM.png 0x00 is setting for SIP enabled.
And the top of System Parameters:
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.51.27 AM.png Use these settings!

SMBIOS should be set up completely by you, if you haven't already using this major guide by P1LGRIM:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

When you're done editing your config.plist you go to Clover Configurator's menu and SAVE! Your plist has been saved changed.

Guess that's enough for now. Let me know what you think! If it's too basic, too simple let me know.

Thanks! The 15,1 was in the old Chameleon extras folder, which I have since deleted. I checked the migration page, and I didn't have anything else chameleon related.

I'm about to go away for a week (Bryce and Zion), so I will look at this stuff when I get back.

Wow, you had a rough time. I didn't have any of those issued when I upgraded from 10.11.6 to 10.13.4. My only problem is iTunes crashes a lot on launch, but eventually doesn't, and I cannot apply the security patch. I just used UniBeast to create the install USB stick, and MultiBeast for the audio driver. I did download Clover directly and updated it.

I kinda rely on the Hackintosh community to work it out, and get resolutions into MultiBeast and Clover. That said, since I don't use built in audio (I have a USB DAC), I think the only thing I installed was the FakeSMC plugins, the Atheros E2200 driver, and set the Mac to 14,2. I imaging I could tweak with a SSDT.ami, but I don't know if the results are worth the time.

Lilu.kext sounds interesting, but I need to do some reading as to what it does.

I'm gonna assume since I'm nat having any graphics card issues, I don't need the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have had the mac just freeze a couple of times. Had to hard reboot. Maybe Lilu might fix that?

I have not tested USB3, but I rarely use it.

My plan is to try a fresh install, not an upgrade, and see what issues I run into. Fresh install, add audio and network drivers. Multibeast, and hope that's all I need. I like to keep it simple.

Thanks again for the great info.

@AllanMarcus, you're welcome! Too much I know, but 14,2 as SMBIOS would've made all the difference for me, but like a mule I stuck to 15,1. Lilu.kext is a helper kext that goes along with others, like NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. It's safe for you to use them and the two might make a big difference for you.

Anyway, for the chance that this might be useful to you or anyone reading this thread, I'm going to paste another long post I wrote before, which luckily really helped somebody.

2 & 3 are most important. Edited to shorten:

"Something's amiss, but here are some basics re Z87 and Z97:

1) You don't need the latest firmware for your motherboard, but check the Gigabyte website to make sure you have firmware that works well with Haswell/Refresh. For my OC board that's F7. Don't use beta firmware. If you update, do it from a flash drive using Q-flash; don't use the @BIOS utility.

2) In BIOS (UEFI), you know to start by loading optimized defaults. Use the profile for your RAM, if you need it. No OC on your processor. Fast Boot (DISabled); Execute Disable Bit (Enabled); Intel Virtualization (Enabled); Secure Boot (DISabled); Boot Mode Selection (I suggest UEFI and Legacy, but can try UEFI Only); Storage Boot (Legacy Only); Initial Display (PCIE 1) if you use first slot; XHCI Mode (Smart Auto /or Auto); Intel Graphics (DISabled); Intel Rapid Start (DISabled); Legacy USB (Enabled); XHCI Hand-Off (Enabled); EHCI Hand Off (DISabled). ***@AllanMarcus, the UEFI setting are really important***

3) Very important: In order to disable CSM you must not use "Other OS" in BIOS. Instead set to "Windows 8" (and if you dual-boot and use Windows 10, that's the setting as well; if your system is macOS only you still set to Windows 8). When you do that it opens up the CSM Support setting below it. Now change that setting to "Never." See post #53, by Antilogical: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/page-6
Solves a monitor blackout. Now the Clover boot loader and the entire boot up process are in full resolution, and the startup takes far less time. And the boot up in Windows 10 is also almost instantaneous.

4) Follow this guide by ILikeHackintosh to install updates, a huge help:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-black-screen-panics.234390/#post-1603620

5) Make sure the MATS table is dropped in your Clover config.plist within Clover Configurator.

6) As noted in MultiBeast update listings, the FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext in FakeSMC Plugins OK w/ Maxwell.

7) And more to the point, always use the latest versions of Clover and all kexts (and drivers); if you use UniBeast and MultiBeast, make sure they're the latest versions. I use Rehabman's installer detailed here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
This method really works well. With High Sierra, don't put kexts into S/L/E. It's debatable whether or not to put kexts into L/E or even into the disk EFI (aside from the kexts mentioned in Post #1.) You could put everything into your flash drive installer and boot from that, but that's up to you. Clover will inject regardless. I use these kexts' latest versions: Lilu (at least 1.2.2), IntelMausi, USBInject, FakeSMC, and both FakePCIID were RehabMan’s; and NvidiaGraphicsFixup (at least 1.2.2) and VoodooHDA (at least 2.9.1). I replaced the VBoxHfs-64.efi UEFIx64 driver with Apple’s HFSPlus.efi.

8) Also, make an SSDT with this method:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/"

I did a fresh 10.13.4 install, and was able to upgrade it using the app store's security update. I had to turn off Inject Intel for the graphics drivers, but that worked, and that was it for off modifications. I think it's time I did a fresh install anyways, even though it's a lot of work. Time to clean out the cruft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back