Contribute
Register

[solved] Can't connect to App Store (Mobo Ethernet fried)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkCenter M91p
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500
Graphics
nVidia GeForce GT640
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi.

I have a serious problem here. I hope against hope that somebody will be able to help me, though I highly doubt it.

I have a Lenovo Desktop computer running 10.11.6 currently. I have been using this for awhile now (since 10.9 at least). Without too many problems (iMessage isn't working but that's because I CBA to make it work as I don't really need it).

However a few weeks (months? I forgot exactly) ago there was a storm that fried too much equipment at our house, including (or so I thought) my Hackintosh. But it started anyway and after checking and re-checking I found out that nothing else was broken than the on-board Ethernet. Well no big deal I have a bunch of USB-Ethernet adapters. I stuck one in and continued to use the computer. After some time I noticed that I get an error each time I reboot ("cannot connect to iCloud...") but everything seemed to work still, even iCloud so I didn't make a big deal out of it.

But then I noticed updates didn't work. Third-Part ones. Apple (OS) updates worked just fine so I shrugged it off and thought I'd update them later. Now however I had a need to buy an app from the store and noticed I can't. Store seems to work, but everytime I try to buy an app, I get an error "An unexpected error occured while signing in. Your device of computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance." And the "Purchased" tab shows me the "You need to me signed in to view..." -text

And no matter what I do, I can't use the App Store but to update Apple's own updates. This became infuriating since I noticed macOS Sierra needs me to be logged in to upgrade.

So now I can't upgrade to macOS Sierra, nor can I update 3rd part apps or buy ANY new apps at all.

Otherwise network works perfectly tough.

Is there anything I can do? (I've tried multiple different USB-Ethernet adapters and none of them work, so)

What I have done without a working Ethernet chip on the motherboard is to install this Fenvi WIFI/BT adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLG51U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Then have it set to En0 Builtin to enable Mac App Store access. I'm using iMac 14,2 system definition. It's a genuine Broadcom card. BCM94360CD. It's seen as an Airport Extreme card. BT works great as well. You may need to delete the existing Network preferences .plist to get it seen as En0 after you install this card.

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 4.06.31 PM.png

Works perfectly for me even though there is no Ethernet showing up anywhere in my system.

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 4.12.58 PM.png

Hmm.. so it DOESN'T need a working Ethernet card at all? (I seem to remember that was needed sometime ago, even though using wifi a working ethernet was mandatory?)

That's worth a try then, since I think I do have a "piece-meal" variety of said card. I have the original card from a real iMac, then an adapter for that to MiniPCIE(?) and then an adapter from that to PCIE... I might need to try if I can get that to work.

Wonder if it works with that even if I do connect via the USB-Ethernet. My WiFi is really, really bad in this house (that's a topic for another time though, but feel free to point me to a direction of a WiFi expert...).

If I manage to piece that together, I'll update this thread and let you know if it works. If it doesn't.. well, I might need to find a place to order that card (Amazon doesn't ship that one to Finland).

EDIT: The only problem with that is, that I'll lose my precious PCIE slot then (so no USB 3.0 or any USB expansion anymore...). That's a really harsh trade-off for me (the machine only has 4 USB 2.0 slots), but maybe that's what it is then, sucks big time though.

Hmm.. so it DOESN'T need a working Ethernet card at all? (I seem to remember that was needed sometime ago, even though using wifi a working ethernet was mandatory?)
A working Ethernet card on En0 is mandatory if you're using a USB dongle. If you have a Broadcom Wifi/BT card that works natively via the PCI-e x1 slot then it isn't needed. That's been my experience. The App store, handoff, continuity, iMessage all work. I'm running El Capitan on an older H61M Gigabyte motherboard. Using iMac 14,2 as the SMBIOS.
worth a try then, since I think I do have a "piece-meal" variety of said card. I have the original card from a real iMac, then an adapter for that to MiniPCIE(?) and then an adapter from that to PCIE... I might need to try if I can get that to work.
If you already have a genuine iMac card, ideally from a 13,1 or 13,2 iMac it should work simply by putting it in a Fenvi adapter.
I bought the 4 antenna version without the iMac card from Amazon for about 29 USD. Assembled it myself, connected to the onboard USB 2.0 header and it worked OOB. MiniPCI-e is not needed just goes into the Fenvi PCI-e x1 adapter then into the motherboard x1 slot directly.
If I manage to piece that together, I'll update this thread and let you know if it works. If it doesn't.. well, I might need to find a place to order that card (Amazon doesn't ship that one to Finland).
If you'd like to get a complete kit that's pre-assembled, looks like Fenvi (China) will ship direct to you in Finland for free.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-Wif...248865?hash=item3f6ff4b961:g:w2MAAOSwiDFYNqe6
Their prices are the best on Ebay as well.
Screen Shot 4.jpg

The range of these 4 antenna models is superb. My BT track pad stays connected from over 10 feet away. Wifi antenna picks up signals from all over the neighborhood. For 60 USD or less they are a really good deal for anyone needing Wifi and BT.

Last edited:
I have bad news and good news.

The good is that the card that I had worked perfectly. It was recognized by the system automatically and I can connect to my WiFi and internet is working (although slowly).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/38jb5utimvbkin4/Screenshot 2016-12-18 14.04.38.png?dl=0#

However, the bad news is that it didn't matter. App Store still says the same thing and I can't use it.

Is there something I need to do to "reset" something or...?

Yes, the wifi card needs to be set to en0 Builtin for the App store to work. Here's the other steps to take:
No need to add back Ethernet, just wifi.
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 3.34.07 PM.png

Last edited:
I did remove everything and re-added them, but I didn't delete the plist... I got the AirPort at en0 (as you can see from the screenshot), but I think the key here is to get it to show as "builtin", which yours does and mine doesn't.

I'lll try deleting the plist now and I'll hope it'll get the "builtin" working.

EDIT: ...aaand no dice. Tried that removing with deleting the plist and reboot. Although network does work, DPCIManager doesn't show it as "builtin" and App Store isn't working :(

Last edited:
Hi.

I have a serious problem here. I hope against hope that somebody will be able to help me, though I highly doubt it.

I have a Lenovo Desktop computer running 10.11.6 currently. I have been using this for awhile now (since 10.9 at least). Without too many problems (iMessage isn't working but that's because I CBA to make it work as I don't really need it).

However a few weeks (months? I forgot exactly) ago there was a storm that fried too much equipment at our house, including (or so I thought) my Hackintosh. But it started anyway and after checking and re-checking I found out that nothing else was broken than the on-board Ethernet. Well no big deal I have a bunch of USB-Ethernet adapters. I stuck one in and continued to use the computer. After some time I noticed that I get an error each time I reboot ("cannot connect to iCloud...") but everything seemed to work still, even iCloud so I didn't make a big deal out of it.

But then I noticed updates didn't work. Third-Part ones. Apple (OS) updates worked just fine so I shrugged it off and thought I'd update them later. Now however I had a need to buy an app from the store and noticed I can't. Store seems to work, but everytime I try to buy an app, I get an error "An unexpected error occured while signing in. Your device of computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance." And the "Purchased" tab shows me the "You need to me signed in to view..." -text

And no matter what I do, I can't use the App Store but to update Apple's own updates. This became infuriating since I noticed macOS Sierra needs me to be logged in to upgrade.

So now I can't upgrade to macOS Sierra, nor can I update 3rd part apps or buy ANY new apps at all.

Otherwise network works perfectly tough.

Is there anything I can do? (I've tried multiple different USB-Ethernet adapters and none of them work, so)
You can always use this https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back