INTEL CORE I5-4590
Graphics
EVGA GTX970
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am tring to fresh install high sierra 10.13.2. The installation went fien. I cannot boot into my ssd for the first time even my usb plugin. It only boot with safe mode to High Sierra. Anyone can help me find out why? Thanks

my mother board :gigabyte ga-z97m-d3h

CPU: I5 haswelll

GPU: GTX970

Attachments

• IMG_6739.jpg
    IMG_6739.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 113
I am tring to fresh install high sierra 10.13.2. The installation went fien. I cannot boot into my ssd for the first time even my usb plugin. It only boot with safe mode to High Sierra. Anyone can help me find out why? Thanks

my mother board :gigabyte ga-z97m-d3h

CPU: I5 haswelll

GPU: GTX970
  • Please edit your Personal Details so that your listed "MoBo|CPU|Graphics" will be displayed under your Login name and Logo and easily accessible to readers throughout the troubleshoot as per the Forum rules everybody is expected to follow
  • Thank you for uploaded verbose mode boot screen when the boot problem occurred. This was helpful in finding the cause as shown in uploaded edited image.
  • Reboot >Del key >BIOS Setup>Peripherals tab >>>>>>>way down Super IO > Serial Port Enabled(default) - change to >Disabled >F10 Save and Exit >Reboot System in Verbose
  • If there is problem upload image.

Attachments

• 1.Boot failure from Serial Port Enabled BIOS.png
    1.Boot failure from Serial Port Enabled BIOS.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • 2.BIOS_Peripherals_Super IO>Serial Port Enabled.-> Disabled.png
    2.BIOS_Peripherals_Super IO>Serial Port Enabled.-> Disabled.png
    655.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Please edit your Personal Details so that your listed "MoBo|CPU|Graphics" will be displayed under your Login name and Logo and easily accessible to readers throughout the troubleshoot as per the Forum rules everybody is expected to follow
  • Thank you for uploaded verbose mode boot screen when the boot problem occurred. This was helpful in finding the cause as shown in uploaded edited image.
  • Reboot >Del key >BIOS Setup>Peripherals tab >>>>>>>way down Super IO > Serial Port Enabled(default) - change to >Disabled >F10 Save and Exit >Reboot System in Verbose
  • If there is problem upload image.
thank you for your help, now I have other problem to deal with , I cannot get into the bios, I use del and f12, no luck, I think I stuck at the gigabyte logo. I try to clear the cmos by take out the battery, but there is no luck :(:banghead:

thank you for your help, now I have other problem to deal with , I cannot get into the bios, I use del and f12, no luck, I think I stuck at the gigabyte logo. I try to clear the cmos by take out the battery, but there is no luck :(:banghead:

Your hardware is still not listed in your Personal Details

• First Disconnect all HDDs from the system.
  • Reboot and see if you can enter the BIOS
  • If still stuck at the MoBo Splash screen, check your PSU. It may be defective and may need replacement. If you have another PSU that works, see switching with it to confirm either the PSU is defective or something else is the problem with the MoBo.

Your hardware is still not listed in your Personal Details

• First Disconnect all HDDs from the system.
  • Reboot and see if you can enter the BIOS
  • If still stuck at the MoBo Splash screen, check your PSU. It may be defective and may need replacement. If you have another PSU that works, see switching with it to confirm either the PSU is defective or something else is the problem with the MoBo.
OK my personal details is updated. How do I know my PSU is defective? I did try remove all the ssds and hdds, but it still stuck at the mobo splash screen. :(

Attachments

• IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 66
OK my personal details is updated. How do I know my PSU is defective? I did try remove all the ssds and hdds, but it still stuck at the mobo splash screen. :(

• Testing it with a PSU tester like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F778JO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
  • In my personal experience, connecting a new PSU if available or a known working Desktop PSU from another PC with similar power load is a better test to rule out a PSU related Motherboard Splash screen freeze before considering a damaged BIOS ROM chip and need for RMA of the MoBo if within warrantee.
Edited to add:
Quite often the system must have shown other symptoms like unexplained freezes, , uninitiated shut downs etc prior to this problem of Motherboard Splash screen freeze and we could have attributed all of them to software glitches or simply ignored. These are from my own personal notes from past hardware troubleshoots for inability to enter BIOS and failure to resolve after "Clear CMOS"

Last edited:
  • Testing it with a PSU tester like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F778JO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
  • In my personal experience, connecting a new PSU if available or a known working Desktop PSU from another PC with similar power load is a better test to rule out a PSU related Motherboard Splash screen freeze before considering a damaged BIOS ROM chip and need for RMA of the MoBo if within warrantee.
Edited to add:
Quite often the system must have shown other symptoms like unexplained freezes, , uninitiated shut downs etc prior to this problem of Motherboard Splash screen freeze and we could have attributed all of them to software glitches or simply ignored. These are from my own personal notes from past hardware troubleshoots for inability to enter BIOS and failure to resolve after "Clear CMOS"

Thanks for the information, cmn699. I just bought a PSU tester for around $15 dollar at amazon, and I will get it on the 12. Hopefully it is not my mobo failure.

After I clear CMOS (remove battery and put it back, I wait for around 60 seconds to put the battery back), my computer then was only on 2 seconds (with normal beep sound, nothing on the screen), and the computer restarted by itself,(with normal beep sound again. this time the screen is on with gigabyte logo) and stay at the mobo splash screen. In this situation, do you consider the my PSU is fail?

Thanks for the information, cmn699. I just bought a PSU tester for around $15 dollar at amazon, and I will get it on the 12. Hopefully it is not my mobo failure.

After I clear CMOS (remove battery and put it back, I wait for around 60 seconds to put the battery back), my computer then was only on 2 seconds (with normal beep sound, nothing on the screen), and the computer restarted by itself,(with normal beep sound again. this time the screen is on with gigabyte logo) and stay at the mobo splash screen. In this situation, do you consider the my PSU is fail?
If the problem of boot failure was due to CMOS corruption [ from repeated changes in hardware /reboots etc during numerous troubleshoots with shut down /restarts , Forced shut down , Power interruptions ] or incorrect CMOS entries by the user if you clear CMOS by cutting of Power from the CMOS coin battery to CMOS chip , on reboot BIOS should automatically prompt you with a message " Upload Optimized default BIOS and boot or Reboot " which will change the CMOS entries to the way it was when you bought the MoBo. You will then be 'allowed' to enter BIOS set up and reset the date from many previous years (when original BIOS was set ) to current and re-input all the required options for the intended OS to boot.

If at this stage the MoBo manufacturer's Splash screen just hangs there blocking you from entering the BIOS setup with Hotkey (Del in GA) you have to consider some serious hardware problem might have occurred.

At this stage strip the hardware one after the other from MoBO connectors starting from HDD which is one of the most common causes of this problem and leaving Video and RAM for further booting.

If you don't have another PSU and you got to wait a few days to test the PSU, then just shut down the Computer, pull PWR cable off from PSU socket, , remove the coin battery and leave that Computer overnight like that and reconnect all next day and see if it will boot and let you change BIOS setup.

Even if that happens , I will still consider Power Supply Unit as the problem hardware and rule that out as the other things like MoBO and CPU are more expensive and you don't want them to be the ones in trouble.

This is one of the worst enigmatic computer problems in my experience. You are not going to get much literature about the causes and troubleshoot as very few report the problem in a systematic way.

I have faced it and was happy to change a Brand new Corsair CX650M I had in that System with a new Thermaltake Tough Power Grand Series RGB 750 W PSU at the very last minute before I considered to remove the CPU Cooler/CPU and remove the MOBO and send MoBO RMA to Amazon. That Corsair CX650M passed the Test on tester!

Just to prove the diagnosis was right, I reinstalled the Corsair and the Splash screen Freeze returned and was reversed by the other PSU.
I was happy in that there was very little down time and cost of fixing the problem a lot better than otherwise.

Some of the so-called Smart PSUs we see these days if malfunction can confuse us really bad.

If you have any doubt about your Clear CMOS procedure( I don't think so based on what you have posted) repeat removing the CMOS battery for longer time before re-inserting and rebooting..

I suggest shut down PC. Press On/OFF switch a few times to discharge the Capacitors. Then remove CMOS battery. Wait 5-6 minutes and reinsert. Just to make sure you have not failed that step.

If the problem of boot failure was due to CMOS corruption [ from repeated changes in hardware /reboots etc during numerous troubleshoots with shut down /restarts , Forced shut down , Power interruptions ] or incorrect CMOS entries by the user if you clear CMOS by cutting of Power from the CMOS coin battery to CMOS chip , on reboot BIOS should automatically prompt you with a message " Upload Optimized default BIOS and boot or Reboot " which will change the CMOS entries to the way it was when you bought the MoBo. You will then be 'allowed' to enter BIOS set up and reset the date from many previous years (when original BIOS was set ) to current and re-input all the required options for the intended OS to boot.

If at this stage the MoBo manufacturer's Splash screen just hangs there blocking you from entering the BIOS setup with Hotkey (Del in GA) you have to consider some serious hardware problem might have occurred.

At this stage strip the hardware one after the other from MoBO connectors starting from HDD which is one of the most common causes of this problem and leaving Video and RAM for further booting.

If you don't have another PSU and you got to wait a few days to test the PSU, then just shut down the Computer, pull PWR cable off from PSU socket, , remove the coin battery and leave that Computer overnight like that and reconnect all next day and see if it will boot and let you change BIOS setup.

Even if that happens , I will still consider Power Supply Unit as the problem hardware and rule that out as the other things like MoBO and CPU are more expensive and you don't want them to be the ones in trouble.

This is one of the worst enigmatic computer problems in my experience. You are not going to get much literature about the causes and troubleshoot as very few report the problem in a systematic way.

I have faced it and was happy to change a Brand new Corsair CX650M I had in that System with a new Thermaltake Tough Power Grand Series RGB 750 W PSU at the very last minute before I considered to remove the CPU Cooler/CPU and remove the MOBO and send MoBO RMA to Amazon. That Corsair CX650M passed the Test on tester!

Just to prove the diagnosis was right, I reinstalled the Corsair and the Splash screen Freeze returned and was reversed by the other PSU.
I was happy in that there was very little down time and cost of fixing the problem a lot better than otherwise.

Some of the so-called Smart PSUs we see these days if malfunction can confuse us really bad.

If you have any doubt about your Clear CMOS procedure( I don't think so based on what you have posted) repeat removing the CMOS battery for longer time before re-inserting and rebooting..

I suggest shut down PC. Press On/OFF switch a few times to discharge the Capacitors. Then remove CMOS battery. Wait 5-6 minutes and reinsert. Just to make sure you have not failed that step.
wohooooooooooooo
it is back to work, i finally can enter bios , turns out that I only take out the battery chip out over night, then I put it it works. I got my psu tester, but I didn't open it and use it. wooohoooooo..... Thank you cmn 699 i am going to see what will be happen when i try to install the high serria. Thanks again !

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpg
    IMG_6757.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6758.jpg
    IMG_6758.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6759.jpg
    IMG_6759.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
wohooooooooooooo
it is back to work, i finally can enter bios , turns out that I only take out the battery chip out over night, then I put it it works. I got my psu tester, but I didn't open it and use it. wooohoooooo..... Thank you cmn 699 i am going to see what will be happen when i try to install the high serria. Thanks again !

Please keep in mind your PSU may not be very reliable.

If I were in your place, I will have a fall back plan with a good PSU as a standby if necessary by borrowing from a friend if you cannot readily buy one locally. If waiting time is not an issue then it does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back