Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have had a stable and stably updating configuration with Sierra. However today I had to temporarily remove the Sierra drive from this dual boot (win 10) machine and update BIOS to the latest version for an ASUS Maximus VIII mobo because of serious issues on the Windows side, now solved.
I have a Macbook Pro so I do not absolutely need the hackintosh but it is an obsession of years to keep it running since Snow Leopard.
The most recent version of the BIOS required some changes in the settings to get OSX to boot--following instructions from this web site-- which it otherwise does now stably. Network and audio both work normally.
I have uploaded a copy of the configp file presuming the answer lies there. I thought I followed the instructions given others with similar problems but to no avail.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Attachments

• config copy Aug 2017.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 234
I have uploaded a copy of the configp file presuming the answer lies there. I thought I followed the instructions given others with similar problems but to no avail.
BIOS - Disable Integrated Graphics - PEG as Primary
Use a digital connection to your monitor - VGA is not supported.
Boot with nv_disable=1
Install Nvidia Web Drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6 (Install EmuVariableUefi-64 + RC Scripts)
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist
MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition need black screen fix as per Link

This is my last ditch effort to get this running.
Everything works except the nVidia Webdrivers needed for my monitor resolutions.
I have to get back to work which at least I can do in Windows or on an Apple laptop.
I modified the config.plist I believe correctly but could be wrong if someone more knowledgeable could review the attached file.
I made changes using the latest clover installer as per directions although NVRAM emulation appears to apply to Gigabyte and not ASUS mobos.
The system definition does not appear to be in error.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia web drivers but nothing I do gets them to mount.
This is my first epic failure since Snow Leopard.

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.5 KB · Views: 121
This is my last ditch effort to get this running.
Everything works except the nVidia Webdrivers needed for my monitor resolutions.
I have to get back to work which at least I can do in Windows or on an Apple laptop.
I modified the config.plist I believe correctly but could be wrong if someone more knowledgeable could review the attached file.
I made changes using the latest clover installer as per directions although NVRAM emulation appears to apply to Gigabyte and not ASUS mobos.
The system definition does not appear to be in error.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia web drivers but nothing I do gets them to mount.
This is my first epic failure since Snow Leopard.
Your config.plist is corrupt which is the same as no config at all.
Code:
config.plist: Found non-key inside <dict> at line 543
This typically happens when you edit the file with a text editor instead of a dedicated plist editor.

Your config.plist is corrupt which is the same as no config at all.
Code:
config.plist: Found non-key inside <dict> at line 543
This typically happens when you edit the file with a text editor instead of a dedicated plist editor.
I usually just use my NVRAM to store the Nvidia driver information for booting it works best and what's really good about it it disables the NVIDIA driver when there was a kernel panic which is extremely helpful

Diligent search pays off: there is a thread with exactly the same title and the same problem resolved by reverting to the last known working BIOS which I will pursue when able.
Fixing the config.plist (I appreciate a response even when it is "the same as" no response at all) does not fix the problem.

Fixing the config.plist (I appreciate a response even when it is "the same as" no response at all) does not fix the problem.
Attach your fixed config.plist.

FIXED!
Although I do not absolutely need this hackintosh I have invested so many hours over the years installing and maintaining various iterations that my OCD would not let me abandon the thing (I also have a few DRMed programs to which I did not want to lose access before High Sierra forces me to).

I don't think failure to load the nVidia driver has much if anything to do with configp.list where changes can not solve the problems loading the nVidia driver after a major skylake bios update for complex reasons explained in other posts. Sadly even with a search I can not find those specific posts but I have copied and pasted the relevant fix information if anyone with the same problem stumbles on this post. I take zero credit for the solution and am grateful others shared their knowledge on this awesome web site.

To correct this problem see slim.jim's guide's Problem/Solution #6, or use MultiBeast v9.1 with just selecting the following selection, install and reboot:
Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM.
I did both the direct clover update then the Multibeast 9.1, probably only the latter is required.

At that point the system booted to a black screen but I could boot with nv_disable=1. I could then see the nVidia driver was checked but when loaded caused the black screen.
The fix for that was to download and manually install kexts as instructed below. There are two parts to the Lilu kext.

EDIT (03/01/2017):
vit9696 offered a new solution for those who want an easy fix. I haven't tested this but it sounds like it bypasses the offending functionality of Apple Graphics Display Policy. Because it is a separate pair of kexts, it should not require any actions (re-patching) after updates. Install the Lilu.kext & NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. It says it's for MacPro6,1 but
omrij confirms it works for iMac15 and pastrychef confirms it works for the iMac 17 board IDs as well.

That is what I ultimately did and the computer boots stably now into 10.12.6 running a 4k and 1080 monitor. If you have the same issues after a major BIOS update I hope this works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back