Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is not the machine in my sig, it's an older system:
- GA Z77X-UP4 TH
- core i7
- radeon HD 6850 GPU
- ram
- High Sierra

Unibeast/Multibeast install worked fine. System boots fine. The problem is that all the methods I've tried so far yield a desktop that flickers, it'll look fine for a few seconds, then the color balances will all shift, stay that way for a bit, then switch back. Most of the methods show the right words in System About (Radeon 6850 1MB, sometimes, Radeon 6850 1024).

Stuff I've tried in various combinations:
- fixDisplay true
- inject ATI
- inject 0x67381002 (vs the native 0x67391002)
- frame buffer duckweed
- patch vbios
- ports 4

Most of the time regardless of what I change the boot log seems to indicate that the card is recognized as a 6850 but the desktop outcome is no different. Sometimes I get snow that goes away if I unplug and replug.

The card works under El Capitan, the system I upgraded this particular hackintosh from. It also works from windows on the same hardware, so it's not a loose connection, which is what the behavior reminds me of. Under el cap I don't remember what I did to get it working, I might have made some modification to the 6000 kext.

Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

This is not the machine in my sig, it's an older system:
- GA Z77X-UP4 TH
- core i7
- radeon HD 6850 GPU
- ram
- High Sierra

Unibeast/Multibeast install worked fine. System boots fine. The problem is that all the methods I've tried so far yield a desktop that flickers, it'll look fine for a few seconds, then the color balances will all shift, stay that way for a bit, then switch back. Most of the methods show the right words in System About (Radeon 6850 1MB, sometimes, Radeon 6850 1024).

Stuff I've tried in various combinations:
- fixDisplay true
- inject ATI
- inject 0x67381002 (vs the native 0x67391002)
- frame buffer duckweed
- patch vbios
- ports 4

Most of the time regardless of what I change the boot log seems to indicate that the card is recognized as a 6850 but the desktop outcome is no different. Sometimes I get snow that goes away if I unplug and replug.

The card works under El Capitan, the system I upgraded this particular hackintosh from. It also works from windows on the same hardware, so it's not a loose connection, which is what the behavior reminds me of. Under el cap I don't remember what I did to get it working, I might have made some modification to the 6000 kext.

Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Are you experiencing the High Sierra Desktop background's Color shifting from Yellow/Orange/brown to purple , blue shades and flickering?

Does any Finder activity cause color changes both on the Desktop and on the Browsers?
Do all Dock icon colors shift to purplish-bluish hue?

Unfortunately my uploaded images may show up normally when viewed in computers with normal functioning graphics cards
and therefore may not represent what I had experienced.

Image #1 is before and image # 2 is after fix from "Billions of colors" to "Millions of colors".
Edit:

I had reported this problem before . I got no response : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-macos-high-sierra-beta-4-on-ga-z77x-up4-th.229142/

Attachments

• 1.Billions of Colors.png
    1.Billions of Colors.png
    3 MB · Views: 585
  • 2.Millions of Colors.png
    2.Millions of Colors.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Are you experiencing the High Sierra Desktop background's Color shifting from Yellow/Orange/brown to purple , blue shades and flickering?

Does any Finder activity cause color changes both on the Desktop and on the Browsers?
Do all Dock icon colors shift to purplish-bluish hue?

Unfortunately my uploaded images may show up normally when viewed in computers with normal functioning graphics cards
and therefore may not represent what I had experienced.

Image #1 is before and image # 2 is after fix from "Billions of colors" to "Millions of colors".
Edit:

I had reported this problem before . I got no response : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-macos-high-sierra-beta-4-on-ga-z77x-up4-th.229142/
I believe I am experiencing that problem. It's not just the background, to be clear, it's the entire UI. The login screen, browser windows, etc. I see the color shift from mostly normal, to a purplish tint. Thanks for responding.

So do we think this is an issue with this graphics card and High Sierra?

I believe I am experiencing that problem. It's not just the background, to be clear, it's the entire UI. The login screen, browser windows, etc. I see the color shift from mostly normal, to a purplish tint. Thanks for responding.

So do we think this is an issue with this graphics card and High Sierra?
  • I have experienced it in a few of my systems using Radeon cards both in Sierra and High Sierra.
  • MOBos are GA-H77-DS3H and GA-Z77-UP4 Th. Cards are Radeon 5450. There is one more system. I can't recall now.
  • I have fixed the problem using a paid software SwitchResX I guess Ver 462 after failing with some freeware. Earlier version does not work >leads to error messages.
  • As shown in the image uploaded in the link I posted and now uploaded to this post, our Radeon is showing Billions of Colors causing the problem.
  • If you Run SwitchResX latest version, and select the Check box for "Millions of Colors" from the prior Billions of Colors , the screen will refresh 1-2 times and everything will be Perfect. If you uninstall SwitchResX , the problem returns,
You may be able to test the software for a few days before buying.

Attachments

• SwitchResX for Color problem in Radeon.png
    SwitchResX for Color problem in Radeon.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • I have experienced it in a few of my systems using Radeon cards both in Sierra and High Sierra.
  • MOBos are GA-H77-DS3H and GA-Z77-UP4 Th. Cards are Radeon 5450. There is one more system. I can't recall now.
  • I have fixed the problem using a paid software SwitchResX I guess Ver 462 after failing with some freeware. Earlier version does not work >leads to error messages.
  • As shown in the image uploaded in the link I posted and now uploaded to this post, our Radeon is showing Billions of Colors causing the problem.
  • If you Run SwitchResX latest version, and select the Check box for "Millions of Colors" from the prior Billions of Colors , the screen will refresh 1-2 times and everything will be Perfect. If you uninstall SwitchResX , the problem returns,
You may be able to test the software for a few days before buying.
Thank you @cmn699 I will give that a try.

Thank you @cmn699 I will give that a try.
Your description fits what I had in my Systems. I believe you will be able to fix using SwitchResX. Please post and let me know the result. You are the only other person who has reported this problem in my search.

Your description fits what I had in my Systems. I believe you will be able to fix using SwitchResX. Please post and let me know the result. You are the only other person who has reported this problem in my search.
SwitchResX does solve the issue, as far as I can tell. I still experience a snow effect on boot up, probably 50% of the time, that goes away if I unplug and replug the monitor, but the colors are right and don't flicker. Thanks!

SwitchResX does solve the issue, as far as I can tell. I still experience a snow effect on boot up, probably 50% of the time, that goes away if I unplug and replug the monitor, but the colors are right and don't flicker. Thanks!
Thank you for your update on Billions of Colors fix with Millions of Colors √ using SwitchResX :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back