Contribute
Register

Solved > BS installation attempts end up with a blank grey screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I recently started using OpenCore 0.6.2 on my Skylake build (thanks to @Henties) and decided to try Big Sur Public Beta. Unfortunately, each installation attempt ends up on a blank grey screen with a movable pointer and I get stuck there...

Oddly enough, for a fraction of a second, I can see some "Choose language" item at the top left of the screen just before the grey screen appears.

Any idea how to solve this?

Attachments

• Stuck.JPG
    Stuck.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 402
Hi all,

I recently started using OpenCore 0.6.2 on my Skylake build (thanks to @Henties) and decided to try Big Sur Public Beta. Unfortunately, each installation attempt ends up on a blank grey screen with a movable pointer and I get stuck there...

Oddly enough, for a fraction of a second, I can see some "Choose language" item at the top left of the screen just before the grey screen appears.

Pikera?
Try different output ports?
Turn off IGpU in bios?

Hi all,

I ended up with a grey screen too with a movable pointer on OC 0.6.2 Haswell build.

Tried to install with usb installer and direct from installer in applications, same results.

After tinkering around I found a solution that worked on my system and could successfully install directly from installer in Applications.

Disable Apple Secure Boot in config.plist.

Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel -> Disabled

Pikera?
Try different output ports?
Turn off IGpU in bios?

Gigamaxx, thanks for your reply.

Tried with and without agdpmod=pikera on different ports.
Tried IGPU first in BIOS with monitor connected to mobo HDMI.
Tried to disconnect all volumes except target (blank) volume.
Tried many things, but still stuck!

Will try with IGPU off...

Thanks Sopeldarn, but SecureBootModel is already disabled.

Edit: I have not yet tried to install directly from installer app. Will try...

Last edited:
I ended up with a grey screen too with a movable pointer on OC 0.6.2 Haswell build.

Tried to install with usb installer and direct from installer in applications, same results.

After tinkering around I found a solution that worked on my system and could successfully install directly from installer in Applications.

Thank you for that! As Clover wouldn't work at the time (back a month ago on Beta 3), I then switched over to OpenCore and got the Beta to install on my NVMe. It was then running fine even with updates to Beta 8 - but when I went to update to Beta 10, it wouldn't update and System Prefs said I needed to DL & run the latest installer. I did that and got through about 2 reboots only to have a repeating crash on the third. I saw your suggestion and changed my config.plist, rebooted, and voila! It then continued past the previous crash point and completed the update (20A5395g).

Turn off IGpU in bios?

So turning off IGPU in BIOS allowed me to go a step further...

unStuck.JPG

...but as soon as I clicked the "continue" arrow, bim! Grey screen again!

Then, restarting on Catalina, I tried to install directly from the BS installer app...
This time, no grey screen, and after a couple of reboot and configuration, bam! Big Sur installed!
Big Sur.png
Thanks @Gigamaxx and @Sopeldarn :thumbup:

Hi @pit512 and all others interested. There seems to be a language problem with the beta 10 installer.
For some or other reason, if the NVRAM-->prev-lang:kbd variable is set to a language which this particular installer does not support then you apparently end up with the grey screen as you described.

The workaround seems to be to start with the installation with the NVRAM-->prev-lang:kbd variable cleared, in other words empty, you will then reach the language picker, once booted into in the reboot volume, choose English as the install language and you should be golden. Choosing English apparently has no effect on your underlying installation, as far as language is concerned. Once completed you will be back to the original language of your choice, which in your case appears to be French.

Greetings Henties

@Sopeldarn the variable needs to be empty as per the screenshot and also make sure your data type is indeed set to "Data"
For most users on another forum and also in another language this seems to work for BS beta 10 20A5395g. Once done you can revert back to your preferred setting. Also note that the problem does not seem manifest itself on previous BS beta iterations,

Greetings Henties

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 7.55.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 7.55.40 AM.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 984
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back