Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
**Solution in final post**

Everything worked fine until last week. 5+ years this Hackintosh has been rolling along. Then, accidentally updated for Security Update 003, and boom.

Long story short, in attempting to fix it, I made it worse. Ended up doing a clean install of El Capitan from an existing USB thumb drive (+Unibeast 6.2.0), and successfully installed a fresh El Capitan system.

But I can't boot into the OS. The progress bar hangs almost immediately. (screenshot of verbose mode attached). I can boot into the Recovery volume using the same USB installer, but not without it.

My current "workaround", if you can call it that, is that I am able to run the same installer from USB and *reinstall* the OS. For whatever reason, the system will load on the *first* reset after the installation. This continuous installing-over-the-existing system doesn't seem to do any harm, but it takes 20+ minutes each time, and obviously it's annoying as hell just to restart the computer.

Clearly, there's something wrong in the Boot setup. I'm well versed in MultiBeast, but as that software changes, I have to change my settings too, based on my hardware. I'm learning a lot about Clover/Clover Configurator as well, but clearly there's more under the hood I don't know.

Can anyone offer insight or help in to how I should configure my system?! My hardware, admittedly from 2012, is listed in my avatar. But I don't think that's the problem because it literally worked perfectly until last week! The question is how to configure this hardware properly.

Here's some specific questions:
  • Should I be using particular boot arguments? (e.g. nv_disable=1)
  • Should I be using particular System Definition? (e.g. Mac Pro 3,1)
  • Would I be better served using an older version of MultiBeast or Clover? If so, which one?
I'm more than happy to follow directions, but I still consider myself not-very-technical, compared to some in this forum. Although I've been at it a few years, I'll need some guidance on going really deep with Terminal commands, modifying the config.plist files manually, or choosing which boot arguments to use.

Your help is massively appreciated — I'm at wit's end over here.

asset-3.JPG

Last edited:
Why have you installed AppleIntelInfo.kext ?
It is just for testing power management and should not be installed.

At some point I was probably testing power management, and/or trying to troubleshoot some sleep/wake issues.

I guess I should remove it? Or just boot without kext injection?

Help me out if I'm about to make things even worse!

Thank you for responding. I'm sure you have many hapless folks like me causing problems. Like everyone else — trying to get back up and running!

I guess I should remove it? Or just boot without kext injection
Of course you should remove it, it will only cause you problems if you don't.

That worked! I removed AppleIntelInfo.kext from within my /System/Library/Extensions folder, and restarted. Boot to desktop with no problems.

Thank you P1LGRIM for the eagle eyes in spotting my mistake. How did you recognize this, by the way?

Clearly, this was a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but it's also a learning experience. Onwards and upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back