Contribute
Register

[solved] Black Screen after upgrade to High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
my cpu is haswell and after restarted, login screen is black.
i have replaced the file and now i dont have the backup.

Same problem I had, luckily I backed up my folder on a USB drive with SuperDuper and booted into it to get it back.

With the 4k display, if you patched CoreDisplay without using CoreDisplayFixup.kext, don't forget you have again patch it manually after the update.
Boot with an invalid ig-platform-id, so you can patch CoreDisplay to defeat the pixel clock limit.

If you delete folder via terminal (using installation usb)your display will back to normal. If you can't find that folder use a portable Linux.

You need to use displayVendorID of your display.
1. Download Darwin dumper, from dump list choose EDID and on top of app choose a path for saving files, then hit run.now you have 3 file in your dump folder:EDID.bin, EDID.hex, EDID.txt
2. Download FixEDID, choose "open EDID binary file" and open EDID.bin that created by darwin dumper
3.then choose one of Apple display from list and click make
4.now you have 3 files/folder in desktop: DisplaymergeNub.kext, EDIDxxxxxx.bin, DisplayVendorIDxxxx folder (x=vendor ID of your display)
you need only DisplayVendorIDxxxx folder. copy it to System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/
5.fix permissions(I don't know that this rely necessary or not) and restart.
now test your display for sleep/flickering issues. if your problemt is persist you need to repeat step 2 and select another Apple Display(for me Apple iMac Display worked).
6.after you find the best Apple Display for your system you need to make some changes as below to it for match your display better.
7. open DisplayProductID-xxxx(inside DisplayVendorIDxxxx folder) by plist editor, copy IODisplayEDID to a new text document and also open EDID.txt created by darwin dumper in first step and do as i did in picture:
8.after create your customized EDID code replace IODisplayEDID code by your customized code.
fix permission and restart.
for calculate cheksum you can use online checksum calculator like http://easyonlineconverter.com/converters/checksum_converter.html. copy all hex code (except yellow code) and claculate cheksum.
good luck. :)

hi @rafigh89

I have tried every steps carefully as you mention but...
1. tried with iMac Display(16:10) => getting display blank when i have restarted. (i have removed DisplayVendorIDxxxx folder with terminal from recovery utility to get back to normal)
2. with iMac Retina Display(16:9) => working but screen flickerring as fast as we cant see anything properly.
3. with MacBook Pro(16:10) => same as 1
4. with MacBook Air(16:9) => screen looks normal but sleep working but wake from sleep again blank screen
5. with Cinema HD, ThunderBolt Display and LED Cinema Display => same as 1

now what should i do ?
every thing working properly before i have changed my display.. but problem with current display.

hi @rafigh89

I have tried every steps carefully as you mention but...
1. tried with iMac Display(16:10) => getting display blank when i have restarted. (i have removed DisplayVendorIDxxxx folder with terminal from recovery utility to get back to normal)
2. with iMac Retina Display(16:9) => working but screen flickerring as fast as we cant see anything properly.
3. with MacBook Pro(16:10) => same as 1
4. with MacBook Air(16:9) => screen looks normal but sleep working but wake from sleep again blank screen
5. with Cinema HD, ThunderBolt Display and LED Cinema Display => same as 1

now what should i do ?
every thing working properly before i have changed my display.. but problem with current display.
edit/customize Macbook Air or iMacRetina Display (step6) and try again.

Last edited:
edit/customize Macbook Air or iMacRetina Display (step6) and try again.

O.k., at least for me I have completed steps 1-5 and am able to boot up now and get my display with the customized folder. The blue was purple, but went in and calibrated color and fixed that. Now to test Sleep mode. No flickering or anything either BTW. It is funny, even though I have a 23" display, under Display hardware from the upper left Apple logo, it shows I have a 11" display... Lol, obviously from choosing what works, which is the MacBook Air setting for me.

** Update **:

So without editing the file from Step 5 on, I have no wake on the monitor, still black and won't come back. Everything sleeps fine, but it will not wake back up. So lets try from Step 5 on now.

** Last Update **:

Hmmm, changed the 21st block from 95 to 80, which is mine and it still stays black..

Last edited:
O.k., at least for me I have completed steps 1-5 and am able to boot up now and get my display with the customized folder. The blue was purple, but went in and calibrated color and fixed that. Now to test Sleep mode. No flickering or anything either BTW. It is funny, even though I have a 23" display, under Display hardware from the upper left Apple logo, it shows I have a 11" display... Lol, obviously from choosing what works, which is the MacBook Air setting for me.

** Update **:

So without editing the file from Step 5 on, I have no wake on the monitor, still black and won't come back. Everything sleeps fine, but it will not wake back up. So lets try from Step 5 on now.

** Last Update **:

Hmmm, changed the 21st block from 95 to 80, which is mine and it still stays black..
Please send your native EDID(dump folder from darwin dumper) and your edited EDID

Please send your native EDID(dump folder from darwin dumper) and your edited EDID

Cool, thank you. Here it is.. I put the modified file within the EDID folder, it was easier for me to zip it that way.

Attachments

• EDID.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back