Contribute
Register

SOLVED -- Audio Z77x-UD5H -- What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H - OpenCore
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
HD 7950
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently finished a new build with a Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H and an i7-2700K and have everything working flawlessly except for audio. I have tried a few different things and am a bit confused about the Toledo method -- here is what I have done:

• Downloaded the DSDT from the tonymac database and placed it onto the desktop.
• Ran MultiBeast with User DSDT, Realtek ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, & maolj's Atheros for internet.
• Downloaded AppleHDA.kext for interim solution for realtek 898 from tonymac audio section and placed it on the desktop.
• Ran system utilities and reboot.
• No Joy.

By editing the boot.plist and changing 'UseKernelCache' to 'No' I was able to get audio out of the black audio port (the main output is green) -- however by doing so I lose the ability to connect any USB devices. Changing it back to 'Yes' gets my USB back, but with no audio. I have been wrestling with this for a few weeks now... can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Audio Z77x-UD5H -- What am I doing wrong?

staticmotions said:
• Downloaded AppleHDA.kext for interim solution for realtek 898 from tonymac audio section and placed it on the desktop.
• Ran system utilities and reboot.
• No Joy.

By editing the boot.plist and changing 'UseKernelCache' to 'No' I was able to get audio out of the black audio port (the main output is green) -- however by doing so I lose the ability to connect any USB devices. Changing it back to 'Yes' gets my USB back, but with no audio. I have been wrestling with this for a few weeks now... can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You put the AppleHDA.kext on the desktop, but you need to run KextBeast not System Utilities. Try again ;)

Sorry, I forgot to write that down -- I did run kextbeast after putting the HDA file onto the desktop. I also ran system utilities -- Still no Joy

I couldn't get the audio to work with the DSDT from the database with the interim 898 kext. I had another DSDT I had to use with that kext.

Now I would recommend using the new Ivy audio kext here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63854 with no DSDT at all and the HDA non-DSDT enabler in multibeast. I also had to delete all the non-898 HDA enabler kexts in the extensions folder. Now audio works perfectly on every reboot with no DSDT so I'm pretty happy :)

Thanks RandallPhoto -- I reinstalled lion using 'user DSDT' but I didn't put the DSDT on the desktop and I used the HDA that you linked to as well as the non DSDT enabler. After rebooting I hit the volume buttons on the keyboard the volume on the screen changed -- before it would pop up but was crossed out and there were no output devices in the audio section of system preferences. That being said, while the volume moved up and down on the screen, nothing came out of the speakers. It's a major step forward, but not quite there. I tried the black and green audio ports and neither worked, will try the others when I have some time -- did I miss anything? I didn't delete any kexts because I did a fresh install. If there is anything that I need to get rid of please let me know -- thanks again :headbang:

staticmotions said:
Thanks RandallPhoto -- I reinstalled lion using 'user DSDT' but I didn't put the DSDT on the desktop and I used the HDA that you linked to as well as the non DSDT enabler. After rebooting I hit the volume buttons on the keyboard the volume on the screen changed -- before it would pop up but was crossed out and there were no output devices in the audio section of system preferences. That being said, while the volume moved up and down on the screen, nothing came out of the speakers. It's a major step forward, but not quite there. I tried the black and green audio ports and neither worked, will try the others when I have some time -- did I miss anything? I didn't delete any kexts because I did a fresh install. If there is anything that I need to get rid of please let me know -- thanks again :headbang:

I'm using the orange jack. Try deleting the non 898 HDA enabler kexts as well

randallphoto said:
I couldn't get the audio to work with the DSDT from the database with the interim 898 kext. I had another DSDT I had to use with that kext.

Now I would recommend using the new Ivy audio kext here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63854 with no DSDT at all and the HDA non-DSDT enabler in multibeast. I also had to delete all the non-898 HDA enabler kexts in the extensions folder. Now audio works perfectly on every reboot with no DSDT so I'm pretty happy :)

Wow. This was the only kink I had left to iron out (ok, ok so maybe I still need to mod for HDMI audio). I didn't know it could be as simple as deleting my DSDT and installing non-DSDT and the modified Ivy AppleHDA.kext. Much appreciated.

Agreed -- very simple. The one step that I haven't seen mentioned is that you will also need to change your sound output settings from 'built-in speakers' to 'line out.' I was surprised to see 2 'line outs' in my system preferences, one controls the orange audio jack, the other enables the black one -- the orange is preferred in my case as it is the only one that seems to work with logic or garageband. My apogee firewire device is working well with this solution :headbang: thanks for all of the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back