Contribute
Register

[solved] Atheros bluetooth problems on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've installed Windows to test it there and it surprisingly started working on macOS. Strangely, installing this kext you recommended make Bluetooth even disappear from the system preferences, breaking Bluetooth functionality completely.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• problem_reporting.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Now it suddenly started to work with the kext. But I don't know the difference of using it or not. And I also don't know if there's any benefits of using it or not.

The kext loads firmware into the device on cold boot and wake from sleep.

The kext loads firmware into the device on cold boot and wake from sleep.
So, without the kext, the firmware it's probably using came from Windows?

So, without the kext, the firmware it's probably using came from Windows?

Only in the case of restart (warm boot) from Windows.
In cold boot and wake from sleep, no firmware without the kext.

Only in the case of restart (warm boot) from Windows.
In cold boot and wake from sleep, no firmware without the kext.
That's exactly what happened. Bluetooth was on the system preferences and not detecting any devices. Then, I booted into windows and, after that, rebooted to macOS and Bluetooth started working (without the kext). Better let the kext here anyway. The clue is solved now. Thank you.

That's exactly what happened. Bluetooth was on the system preferences and not detecting any devices. Then, I booted into windows and, after that, rebooted to macOS and Bluetooth started working (without the kext). Better let the kext here anyway. The clue is solved now. Thank you.

The key to realize is that the BT controller loses firmware upon power loss.
Power to the BT controller is cut on shutdown or sleep.
So... on wake from sleep, or cold boot, firmware must be loaded.

IOath3kfrmwr.kext loads firmware for the cases there is no firmware already loaded (the device-id changes when firmware is loaded, and IOath3kfrmwr.kext matches against the device-id used pre-firmware load)

Marked solved.

The key to realize is that the BT controller loses firmware upon power loss.
Power to the BT controller is cut on shutdown or sleep.
So... on wake from sleep, or cold boot, firmware must be loaded.

IOath3kfrmwr.kext loads firmware for the cases there is no firmware already loaded (the device-id changes when firmware is loaded, and IOath3kfrmwr.kext matches against the device-id used pre-firmware load)

Marked solved.
Hi bro,
I have the same problem with you on mac os high sierra. I read your article but still don't understand how to solve it. Every time I shutdown, I have to go to the window and then boot into mac os very inconvenient. Can you guide me?
My card is Atheros 9485.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back