Contribute
Register

[solved] ASUS Z370 SMBIOS and BIOS for Sonoma?

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thinking about updating to Sonoma, but have to consider changing my current SMBIOS from 18,3 to 20,1 to be able to.
Is 20,1 the most reasonable option for my system (z370, i7-9700K, RX580) or is something else more suitable?
Wasn´t the T2 chip introduced somewhere on the way possibly causing issues?

And - just in case ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero users are here - what BIOS are you currently using?
I am still on 1801 which sort of was modified by ASUS tech support for some iGPU settings that were no in the UI at that time.
Wondering whether updating to the latest 2701 would still allow me to use the iGPU as headless - as long as it would be possible with an updated SMBIOS.

TIA!

EDIT: Title and content corrected (Z370 iso Z390)

Last edited:
Just FYI, my system at left is running Sonoma 14.1.2 and uses SMBIOS 19,1 without problems. But I did note that although you state in your text that you are using a Z390, your signature at left lists a Z370, not a Z390. It does make a difference.

(...) It does make a difference.
So far I only tried to update via system settings where I do not get the update option. Did you install with a full installer? Got to try that anyway as you are reporting success...

Yes. I got it from Mr. Macintosh, here. But is your motherboard a Z390 or a Z370? The required OpenCore configurations are slightly different.

I guess there will not be too many changes required for my current OC setup on Z370. Just the typical suspects like serials etc. for imessage and updated USB map for the new SMBIOS. But we´ll see, i will try it first on a separate drive to evaluate if my broadcom WLAN will be ignored or not - and how that will impact my "user experience" :mrgreen:

Update: Got Sonoma installed as iMac20,1. The missing T2 is something I´ll have to dig deeper into, maybe 19,1 would be a more reasonable choice. But 20,1 would probably allow for longer upgradability before I have to switch to silicon.
And yes, my Wifi is also effected so I will stay on Ventura until there is a better solution than the current OCLP trick.
A BIOS update was not required.

One significant difference between Z370 and Z390 is that the Z370 is more "KabyLake" than "CoffeeLake," i.e. the Z370 is not a "true" 300-series motherboard. Consequently, your OpenCore's EFI/OC/ACPI folder requires only SSDT-AWAC-DISABLE.aml, SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, and SSDT-PLUG.aml files. It does not require, and should not have, SSDT-PMC.aml in that folder.

Also there are differences in the config.plist between the two hardware types.

Hmmm - close: I only have SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml, but I can´t remember how I finally got there when working through the dortania guide. This config runs stable since OC 0.6.9.
And it looks like that it does also in Sonoma with SMBIOSes 19,1 and 20,1.
But the WIFI issue lets me stay at Ventura for the moment. Maybe (hopefully!) one day there will be a more elegant solution than the current OCLP...

Back