Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Asus Strix GTX 950 - Yosemite 10.10.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

I have just upgrade to 10.10.5 and also a 4K Dell Monitor and had to change from a GTX 570 (which worked perfectly) to a Asus Strix GTX 950.

I am unable to load full acceleration on 10.10.5 and have to use the nv_disable flag to boot otherwise I get a reboot.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is my system information for the GFX card:

Unknown:

Chipset Model: Unknown
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 0 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1402
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 84.06.2F.00.22
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

Asus Strix GTX 950 - Yosemite 10.10.5

Apple do not have driver support in OS X for this series of cards. You must use nVidia drivers to get the card running properly. Have a look at the following two threads for information on this topic. :thumbup:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-10-5-346-02-03-a.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-problems.html

Awesome, thank you.

I installed the web driver for 10.10.5 and added the nvda_drv=1 and it's working!

Cheers!

Hi guys! I have the EVGA2GB D5 X GTX950 FTW R and everytime I use After Effects or do video stuff, my hackintosh occasionally reboots by itself.

I've got the NVIDIA web driver installed and nv_disable is also on.

Any ideas?

Hi guys! I have the EVGA2GB D5 X GTX950 FTW R and everytime I use After Effects or do video stuff, my hackintosh occasionally reboots by itself.

I've got the NVIDIA web driver installed and nv_disable is also on.

Any ideas?

You shouldn't have nv_disable

You shouldn't have nv_disable
sorry, my bad. I meant I use the flag nv_driver=1, not nv_disable which would logically default to the osx default driver.

now, last week after a lot of reboots and crashes I tried to implement the kext patch as described here (problem 4):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

and the computer ran ok afterwards. I ran multiple instances of quicktime, AE in ram preview, chrome with an opengl experiment, as well as a benchmark (!) program running all at once. despite from the fact that my computer performed extraordinarily well, there was no crash at all.

but today it happened again! a simple reboot without any warning... I was working in After Effects (not the CC version). ...

sorry, my bad. I meant I use the flag nv_driver=1, not nv_disable which would logically default to the osx default driver.

now, last week after a lot of reboots and crashes I tried to implement the kext patch as described here (problem 4):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

and the computer ran ok afterwards. I ran multiple instances of quicktime, AE in ram preview, chrome with an opengl experiment, as well as a benchmark (!) program running all at once. despite from the fact that my computer performed extraordinarily well, there was no crash at all.

but today it happened again! a simple reboot without any warning... I was working in After Effects (not the CC version). ...

Is there any error message when the computer reboots? I occasionally get something like this on my 2010 MBP and it is caused by a failing GPU. The error report mentions something about being unable to read from the VRAM. The MacBook just reboots without warning and doesn't always produce an error message when it finishes booting back up.

Is there any error message when the computer reboots? I occasionally get something like this on my 2010 MBP and it is caused by a failing GPU. The error report mentions something about being unable to read from the VRAM. The MacBook just reboots without warning and doesn't always produce an error message when it finishes booting back up.
no error whatsoever. I am still looking for the log, but the console shows nothing and I have "searching log database..." at the bottom.

I did see however that when I try to boot up in single user/safe mode, I get this message popping up in the verbose screen:

"iousbfamily was not able to enumerate a device" - it pops up periodically but then the computer boots into the login screen without problems. I did this without any usb devices plugged in and I still get this message. Maybe I can simply ignore it?

no error whatsoever. I am still looking for the log, but the console shows nothing and I have "searching log database..." at the bottom.

I did see however that when I try to boot up in single user/safe mode, I get this message popping up in the verbose screen:

"iousbfamily was not able to enumerate a device" - it pops up periodically but then the computer boots into the login screen without problems. I did this without any usb devices plugged in and I still get this message. Maybe I can simply ignore it?
Look elsewhere before you blame the VGA! You got a motherboard from Asus which is known for having some quite annoying bugs running os 10 and yet try and make sure you're running the proper SMBIOS for your CPU. Some people tend to think that this is only cosmetics but it does play a huge role on your hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back