[Solved] 5.1.2 Atmos on Ventura?

Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero X Z370
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
I feel a bit daft posting this.

I upgraded to Ventura in order to use Atmos natively.

I thought I was done after being helped on here to migrate from clover to opencore and then successfully and consistently being able to boot into Ventura.

But I can’t seem to get sound to the .2 overhead speakers. When I go into Audio/Midi configuration, clicking on the test button for channels 7 & 8 simply produces sound in the rear speakers instead.

Do I need to use a specific alternative kext or something? I’m genuinely puzzled as to whether this is a hackintosh issue, or just something I’m unfamiliar with in macOS.

I’m sending the signal out via GPU HDMI to a Denon receiver, which I’ve independently verified is able to play Atmos content from TV and Blu-ray player. The signal shows up as PCM rather than as “Atmos” on the receiver front panel when sending from my hackintosh. (Shows Atmos when playing Atmos things from tv and blu-ray player.)

Thanks!

This might help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254776890?answerId=259165044022#259165044022

I ran into a similar issue where I could only get 5.1 playback from Apple Music after I updated to 13.4.1(c) and I figured it out from this thread that your output device channels must match your speaker configuration in AMS. So in my case with 9.1.6, I need a 16 channel device for it to stream atmos properly. Any mismatch will result in a 5.1 stream.

In your case, it needs to be a 8 channel audio device for it to work. You may need to route it through a virtual sound card of sort to get it working as in some people noted in that apple thread.

This might help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254776890?answerId=259165044022#259165044022

I ran into a similar issue where I could only get 5.1 playback from Apple Music after I updated to 13.4.1(c) and I figured it out from this thread that your output device channels must match your speaker configuration in AMS. So in my case with 9.1.6, I need a 16 channel device for it to stream atmos properly. Any mismatch will result in a 5.1 stream.

In your case, it needs to be a 8 channel audio device for it to work. You may need to route it through a virtual sound card of sort to get it working as in some people noted in that apple thread.

Thanks I will have a look! My set-up is exactly 8 speakers though, it matches. Hmm.

Also double check your speaker configuration in AMS for the HDMI device.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 13.36.32.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 13.36.32.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
Also double check your speaker configuration in AMS for the HDMI device.
Thanks. It’s the AMS bit I’m having trouble with. I’ve selected the right config (in my case Atmos 5.1.2), but the last 2 channels are coming out of my rears instead of overheads.

My intuition tells me that unless the AMS part is working, no app like Loopback will circumvent it.

I’ve got a feeling I need to either get a new custom kext or select a different aclid number in boot arguments…

Mods, I may have posted this in wrong sub forum, please feel free to move to audio section!

Turned out this was an AVR issue. Needed to change the speaker configuration to 7.1 in order to have all the speakers accessible to my hackintosh. Having the AVR in 5.1.2 speaker config somehow “hides” the .2 part from the signal chain.

The AMS settings are still 5.1.2, but now the test tones redirect to the correct speakers.

An embarrassingly simple and pretty much non-hackintosh related solution, but thought I would update folk in case they run into a similar issue!

Back