Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170A Gaming M5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi everyone!
Had my Hackintosh up and running with Big Sur 11.0.1, successfully updated from Catalina using OC 0.6.3, but then I got this "Couldn't alloc class 'AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI'" error when updating to 11.1 - after the second restart.

First Error.jpg

I've managed to access the EFI through my Windows HD and there I did the following:
- updated OC to 0.6.4
- added CtlnaAHCIPort.kext
-
blocked AppleAHCIPort.kext
(as proposed by Dortania).

Then I got another error, ending with "kext com.apple.driver.AppleAHCI port did not start":

Second Error.jpg

Kexts are updated.

What am I missing?

My config.plist and the debug logs from both inicializations are attached below.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.5 KB · Views: 199
  • opencore-2020-12-16-175229.txt
    256 KB · Views: 141
  • opencore-2020-12-16-180422.txt
    256 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Having the same issue myself with my Clover r5127 install.

It boots fine when I boot from my Macintosh partition, but I get the same error you are experiencing when attempting to boot from the Preboot partition.

Only reason I found this is because I'm troubleshooting another issue that has come up since I updated from Catalina to Big Sur.

Attempting to run through the steps described here to see if it resolves both issues I'm having:

Test success! can solve without lose your current data:

1. use full installer media (U disk or partition)
  2. boot clover r5126, boot installer
  3. install 11.0.1 and cover the current partition (we call this partition name as Macintosh in this example)
  4. on the 2nd step of installation, choose boot install of your Macintosh partition
  5. on the 3rd step of the installation, MUST choose Boot preboot from Macintosh
  6. then you can success install/ update appa from mac app store
the key point is 'we haven't finished the installation of the installation of macOS then we face that issue'

I'll let you know if I have any success.

Yeah sorry can't help you with OpenCore, haven't tried it myself, too familiar with Clover now to let it go just yet, although if I can't get Big Sur working properly then I may be forced to...

Nothing to report just yet, still messing around with the re-install.

Okay had success with reinstalling as per those instructions I posted above.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.58.20 am.png

Basically you let the installer restart once, select the `Install from Mackintosh HD` partition option to boot from the first time, then on the subsequent restarts you select the `Install from Macintosh HD - Preboot` partition option and let the installer complete. Perhaps OpenCore is masking the `Preboot` option some how like how Clover does in its `GUI - Hide Volume` options?

For what it's worth here is my config.plist, not sure how useful it will be to you as it's for Clover.

It appears my issue was two-fold:

1. The Big Sur update didn't complete properly on the first attempt.
  2. I needed to boot from the 'Preboot' partition for Big Sur rather than the 'Macintosh HD' partition like I have been for Catalina and below. Note - to reveal 'Preboot' in Clover I needed to edit the 'Hide Volumes' config.plist entry.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 226
Nice! Good to know that you managed to fix your update!
I was looking for some option that could show the "Preboot" entry on OC, but got nothing...
Now I'm creating a new BS USB installer (mine isn't working) and then will try this method too (in my case, with OC).

I'll report the results here :)

Ty again @MrNarrow o/

Doing some more reading about OpenCore, think I'd like to give it a try actually, wonder if I can set it up on a USB and try boot my existing install from it...

Any way, in my reading I came across a list of OC's limitations and in that it mentioned the inability to hide volumes, so the 'Preboot' volume should be there for you, perhaps it's the one you are using already and I've sent you in the wrong direction here?

SOLVED!

Short version:
Check your BIOS settings (look for your processor – mine is Skylake).

Long version:
Got a little busy on the weekend, but yesterday I was back to my attempts.

The solution, in my case, wasn't too far: after following the steps from Dortania to the kexts and config.plist, followed the instruction to update/verify my BIOS.
And the answer was there! A ton of settings had to be adjusted! After this, the system "magically" booted – even without the "Preboot" volume.

OBS: Those settings were OK when I was using Clover – looks like some of them are different on OC.

Ty @MrNarrow for your help o/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back