i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just did a fresh reinstall of 10.13.2 and it went good except that the wired connection was showing as "Cable Unplugged" even though it was securely plugged in (tested and verified with Ubiquiti controller).

I deleted the NetworkInterfaces and preferences plists in L/E/Preferences/SystemConfigurations and deleted all connections from the Network menu in System Preferences. Repaired permissions and rebuilt cache with DPCIManager and restarted.

Now the wired connection isn't listed in Network and will not let me add it however it is listed int he PCI List on DPCI Masnager. See screenshots and config.plist

Any suggestions to get the wired connection to show back up?

View media item 189925
View media item 189926

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.6 KB · Views: 244
Not a Desktop Guide Moved to Desktop Support.

You can install the Ethernet kext manually :

Remove any previous failed attempts from /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions.

Open Finder and browse to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ then delete these two files :
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist

Download this kext and put it on your desktop.
Download and run KextBeast selecting /Library/Extensions as the location.

In Terminal :
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Press return, type your password (it will not show on screen), press return again and when the command has completed, restart.

Sorry for posting it in the wrong section.

I went through the above steps and the wired connection still does not show in the Network Preferences.

No ethernet card detected in the System Report

It is showing on the PCI List in DPCIManager.

Is there a line for the builtin ethernet in APFS High Sierra?

I looked at my com.apple.Boot.plist on my old El Cap machine and this is present:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
</dict>
</plist>

But nothing like this at all in my High Sierra Boot.plist.

There is also a Fix Lan option in Clover Configurator but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
My NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist files are attached.

They look odd to me. wi-fi is en0 right now and bluetooth PAN is en1. My wired connection is not even listed.

I know how to get the wired connection to en0 IF I can get it to show up in the list.

Attachments

• NetworkInterfaces.plist
    1.7 KB · Views: 223
  • preferences.plist
    3.3 KB · Views: 269
I just edited my com.apple.Boot.plist to add the EthernetBuiltIn string above, deleted networkinterfaces.plsit and preferences.plist, deleted Mausi kext, rebuilt kexts, repaired permissions, restarted ->no change. wired connection still not showing up.

This situation is getting worse.

I decided to do a fresh reinstall since I had just done one and not gotten to far into the setup.

I made a new UniBeast USB with my MacBook Air, android a fresh reinstall including resetting my BIOS settings and formatting my SSD.

When I get back into the installer, I get a screen I've never seen before asking me how I connect to the internet? The only option is wired and if I chose it, it reboots the computer. If i chose that it does not connect to the internet, it will complete the installation but no wired connection is listed in the network preferences and the NetworkInterfaces.plist doesn't even get installed.

What the heck did I do wrong? I've double and triple checked the wiring but that's not even the issue; the computer literally has no idea there is a network adapter on the motherboard. Is there a way to recompile the PCI list? Is there a way to "hard reset" the motherboard? Would resetting the CMOS help? Any suggestions at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions at all?
Did you check if the LAN Controller is enabled in your BIOS?

BIOS > Peripherals > PCH LAN Controller
Enables or disables the onboard LAN function. (Default: Enabled)

Thanks for the reply. I did try that and every other network repair technique I've learned from previous installs. Nothing worked. Extremely odd, its like somehow the board "forgot" that the LAN port was attached although DPCIManager confirmed it was a viable PCI connection and being detected properly.

I was finally able to get it back running this morning. I had to re-flash the BIOS, reset the CMOS, reset the RST, re-build my USB twice, reinstall about 6 times with different hardware connected and disconnected from the board, and (most importantly), run MultiBeast twice - the first time without the Maui kext and the second with only the Maui kext.

I also noticed that MB modified my NetworkInterfaces.plist file. The first main line on a fresh install was:

<key>Active</key>
</true>

After running MB, this key string was removed. I had to duplicate and replace the file to add that line back and it finally worked.

Not sure if this is an issue with 10.13.2 but its the first time I've ever had the issue since 10.8.

Also, the 10.13.2 supplemental update would not complete and gave me the IOConsole issue where it stuck during boot. I was able to complete the update by removing my GTX960, and booting from the Intel graphics and installing the NVIDIA driver update.

As of the moment, I'm 100% functional I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back