Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] 10.11 system non-bootable since Clover upgrade; kernel panic on boot; have also changed CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all

EDIT: OK, I've solved my problem and am now booted into my 10.11 install with updated Clover. I will remove a lot of the excess detail I added as I was debugging, but will leave an update in case it resolves the issue for anyone else via Google.

My problem was that following an upgrade of Clover, my 10.11 install would kernel panic on boot. The issue seemed to maybe be more complex because I had also upgraded my CPU since I last tried to boot, and I also had a weird issue where my BIOS frequency/voltage settings were reset. I didn't know which of the issues was the dominant one. Turns out it was simple: I need extra ACPI options in the later Clover than I did before.

The resolution was to edit my Clover config.plist to add two new settings in ACPI: FixDarwin and FixUSB. I haven't yet found out why these were needed in the new Clover but not the original one I had before. I found that they were required in an El Capitan install thread, where another X58 user had a similar issue and gave them as a fix.

How to get the system booted one time, so you can then fix it permanently with Clover Configurator:
  1. On the Clover boot screen, interrupt the boot and select Clover Options
  2. Choose ACPI then the option that's called something like "DSDT Fix Mask"
  3. In this list, tick FixDarwin and FixUSB
  4. Exit out of options and hit enter on your macOS partition to boot it. It should now boot OK into the OS.
  5. Now run Clover Configurator
  6. Mount the EFI partition and open your config.plist from there
  7. Choose ACPI, and again tick FixDarwin and FixUSB
  8. Save the config.plist back to the EFI partition, unmount EFI, and reboot.
My original post:

I have a 10.11 system installed on a 250GB SSD. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. When the system last worked the installed CPU was an Intel i7 930, but I now have an Xeon X5670 installed. Graphics card is an NVidia 980Ti, which I think was already installed last time it worked. I definitely have the NVidia Drivers already installed and enabled on boot.

Middle of last year I decided I would prepare for a Sierra upgrade, so I upgraded my Clover as per an upgrade guide I read. Since then I've not been able to boot the system.

The first time I booted with the upgraded Clover, I got a kernel panic and then when I rebooted, I found many BIOS settings had been changed, for example, frequency, voltage, etc. As I run an overclocked system, this messed that up such that I couldn't even boot into Windows afterwards until I re-changed them.

At the time I gave up trying to fix it almost immediately as lots of life stuff started happening, and since then I've just been using Windows. Only now have I come back to try again, as I really want iTerm 2 for the projects I'm working on.

When I try to boot the system today, I get a kernel panic on boot every time. This also happens with a Safe Mode boot.

At first I thought this must also be related to the BIOS settings reset I mentioned. This post gives instructions for how to solve that BIOS mess-up (disable AppleRTC patch in Clover, install it another way). But when I tried doing that today - using Clover's boot menu to disable the loading of AppleRTC patch - I still get the same kernel panic almost immediately on boot. So I can't even get the system booted to try the second part of that fix, which involves putting a file in EFI/Clover/APCI/patched.

And I think that the fact I can't boot at all means I am not having that same problem - or at least, not only that problem.

Here's the kernel panic message I get - which is the in safe mode, and regardless of AppleRTC patch enabled or not:

(click for larger)

The backtrace mentions com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBUHCIPCI(1.8.1).

Could this panic be related to my now having a different CPU installed? It appears to be related to USB. So I've tested booting with all USB devices unplugged except a single keyboard, without help. I don't think I've changed anything related to USB since I last had it working. I have USB 3.0 disabled in the BIOS, as per recommendation for my x58 mobo.

To summarise, since I last had this working, I have:
  1. Upgraded Clover to latest version (as at mid-2017) - this was what caused me to no longer be able to boot
  2. Since then, I have also changed my CPU from an Intel i7 930 (quad core x 2.8ghz) to an Intel Xeon X5670 (six-core x 2.93ghz)
  3. I have tried booting with and without AppleRTC patch enabled, attempting to fix the first problem I saw of having BIOS settings overridden. I still get the same kernel panic on boot regardless of whether it's enabled.
I am currently booting without any overclock enabled; the CPU is running at stock speeds. I won't re-enable the OC until I have OSX booting properly again.

Last edited:
EDIT: Removed, as was not relevant to fix.

Last edited:
Ive got past the USB panic. I needed different APIC options such as FixUSB and FixDarwin.

Not fully sure what it is doing now, it started a fsck style disk check and now i have thousands of unreadable lines scrolling down the screen that may be file names. I think I can make out words like System and Library. Possibly because I am in vervose mode. Or it might be jammed further into the boot.

Edit : yeah I am fairly sure I am seeing the verbose output of a full fsck run,which is therefore taking forever. The disk light is active, and the line that is constantly scrolling starts something like: "Sandbox dirhelper system policy allow: file-write-unlink..."

I hope this is normal fsck behaviour and it's not because my file system is toast :)

Hopefully this one day finishes and I can see if I have a working boot.

Last edited:
This has been running for 30+ mins now. I'm wondering if I should reboot and run in non verbose mode. And/or if I should be worried by this output.

I'm hoping it's simply the verbose logs of a normal fsck, taking forever because it is listing every file operation on every file on disk. But I am slightly worried by that 'file-write-unlink', which sounds like changing data, not just checking it is valid.

edit: booted :D Now I need to make the ACPI changes permanent in clover config.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back