Contribute
Register

Software update can't see 11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isee that when 064 was released but had rushed to update OC and left it alone at that time. I have removed it now and I can see Big Sur 11.1 update in system Preferences.

You updated to 0.6.4 without BlacklistAppleUpdate and then you added ? Can you be more specific what you did in order to get update? Thank you

I couldn't see Big Sur 11.1 update on OC 0.6.3, I updated to 0.6.4, still couldn't see the update, I changed blacklistappleupdate, I still couldn't see the update (resetting nvram each time)

I remembered I had sip disabled so I enabled sip then the update showed up.

You updated to 0.6.4 without BlacklistAppleUpdate and then you added ? Can you be more specific what you did in order to get update? Thank you
No. I updated from OpenCore 063 to 064 weeks ago before the Big Sur 11.1 update was out. OpenCore implemented BlaclistAppleUnpdate in version 064. So I just took it out (I don't need it). That is blocking people from seeing the Big Sur 11.1 update in the system preferences.

Make sure after you edit your config.plist that you restart and in the OpenCore boot menu, select reset NVRAM.

From the 064 release notes:

v0.6.4​

• Added BlacklistAppleUpdate to fix macOS 11 broken update optout

molko1234, yes SIP is enabled.

Last edited:
BlacklistAppleUpdate is for blocking firmware updates, not OS updates. From Dortania:
  • Used for blocking firmware updates, used as extra level of protection as macOS Big Sur no longer uses run-efi-updater variable
Enabling SIP restored the update functionality for me. Thanks @molko1234!

Last edited:
BlacklistAppleUpdate is for blocking firmware updates, not OS updates. From Dortania:
  • Used for blocking firmware updates, used as extra level of protection as macOS Big Sur no longer uses run-efi-updater variable
Enabling SIP restored the update functionality for me. Thanks @molko1234!

This is what know from 059-060 to 064

Code:
<key>run-efi-updater</key>
                <string>No</string>

* **run-efi-updater**: `No`
* this is used to prevent Apple's firmware update packages from installing, this is very important especially with PC hardware as these firmware updates will crash on updates.
* This is used to prevent Apple's firmware update packages from installing and breaking boot order; this is important as these firmware updates (meant for Macs) will not work.

run-efi-updater replaced BlacklistAppleUpdate in OpenCore v0.6.0 for firmware blocking under NVRAM.

BlacklistAppleUpdate in the new in 0.6.4 is under Misc Security.

#### v0.6.4
- Added `BlacklistAppleUpdate` to fix 11.0 broken update optout
Looks like a different usage especially for Big Sur update opt out (OS).

I never had SIP disabled and was still being blocked from seeing the 11.1 update. Only change was removing BlacklistAppleUpdate.

Last edited:
This is what know from 059-060 to 064

Code:
<key>run-efi-updater</key>
                <string>No</string>

run-efi-updater replaced BlacklistAppleUpdate in OpenCore v0.6.0 for firmware blocking under NVRAM.

BlacklistAppleUpdate in the new in 0.6.4 is under Misc Security.

Looks like a different usage especially for Big Sur update opt out (OS).

I never had SIP disabled and was still being blocked from seeing the 11.1 update. Only change was removing BlacklistAppleUpdate.
I've had this update issue since early Big Bur betas. With both OC 0.6.2 and 0.6.3. I tried different approaches with BlacklistAppleUpdate (TRUE, FALSE and no BlacklistAppleUpdate at all) when it was re-introduced in OC 0.6.4, but no change. Resolution (for me) was to enable SIP again.

Reactions: JBX
^ I see. I am hoping that Apple goes back to having standalone updates (and combo) download packages. But not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back