EVGA GTX 770 4GB SC DDR5
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

Ive started planning my first hackintosh build and am trying to wrap my head around the best build for allowing myself to expand and add other functions later.

I'll be using my build for about 50% Video Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro and some After Effects work, and 50% Davinci Resolve Grading. I wont be grading much above 2k Prores but want a lot of overhead room for expansion/abilities for later.

Planning to run OSX Yosemite, with Adobe CC 2014 and Davinci Resolve full version.

I'll be using this with 2 Dell U2413 monitors.

Ive done a lot of research and pretty sure all of this will be compatible, but correct me if im wrong:

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth X79
- Socket 2011
or
Gigabyte X79-UP4
CPU: Intel Core i7 4930K
- 6 core
- 3.40GHz
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 780
- 6GB DDR5
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB
Power: Corsair AX 760 Watt
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i 240mm
Case: Corsair 600T
SSD for Boot (OSX): Samsung 850 EVO- 250GB
SSD for Boot (Windows:
Samsung 850 EVO- 250GB
SSD for cache: Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB
HD for general storage: Samsung Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Wifi adapter card: TP Link
Optical: LG Bluray RW

NOTE: I would be looking to add another 32GB of Ram in the future.

So my questions/plans are:

Is the GTX 780 going to be reliable, should i trade off and get a 760 4GB instead if it isnt going to be, even though its 2GB RAM less?

The GTX 780 is going to take up 2 of the x16 PCIe slots as its dual slot, then i plan to purchase a reference monitor (Eizo CG) which i will be running through something like the Blackmagic Intensity Pro which will take up a third PCI slot, im not sure whether it will rely on needing the third 16x Slot, but its compatible with 4-16x. I also then want to setup an internal or external RAID (probably 0 or 1) and this is where im not sure what the best setup would be for this machine, im assuming a RAID PCIe card would be the way to go but then arent the Blackmagic Intensity and RAID card fighting for the third slot? Or would it be a better idea to use one of the MOBO 6GB/s Sata connections for a raid setup as it supports RAID 0, 1, and 5, which means i could use the BM Intensity card for the third 16x PCIe slot? Ultimately should i be looking to find a different Mobo with more PCIe slots and lanes?

Or would the Gigabyte X79-UP4 be a better motherboard instead of the Asus as its got an extra 16x slot that acts as 8x if using the first 2 16x?

What complicates this further is that i need Firewire 800 support as i have quite a few drives that rely on that connection, and so i would get a PCIe firewire card like this, would that be compatible for a Hack and would it mess up the PCI configuration with all the other cards, including the Wifi adapter card?

Also is there anything i should bear in mind setting up the system for Dual boot with windows and OSX? I would use Windows for gaming only really.

And finally, am I making it too complicated/challenging for myself for my first Hack build? I just want to do it properly and set myself up with a powerful machine from the start but i know im probably aiming high!

Apologies if ive made any stupid mistakes, this is my first foray into this and i knwo that ive got a hell of a lot to learn!

Thankyou for any comments or advice,

Steve

Steve, yes, you've got a lot to learn when attempting an X79 system as a first build. Luckily
you can read through a LOT of information here on tonymacx86 and ask for help. Start by
reading this very long and detailed thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-iv-extreme-32gb-ram-gtx-770-4gb-success.html

Also a good idea to bookmark this thread in the bookmarks bar on your main browser.
It's about a different Asus board but most of it will apply. As you likely already know, X99 systems
are also available and will be more future proof. They have more Sata 3 connections, USB 3 ports
and faster DDR4 ram. You also get two extra cores with the 5820K the entry level CPU for X99
systems. But the 5930K will still be the best choice for one of these builds for Pro use.

There is no support in the OS X kernel yet, not until there is a Mac Pro refresh.
We don't have any timeframe for that. The documentation is also not up to the level it is in Shilohh's
X79 build either. If you try X99 it will take more work and time to get the build working like an Apple
Mac Pro.

Best of luck on your build.

Steve, I'll be moving your post #3 to the R4E thread so that you can get answers from those that
use Pro Video builds as a daily driver. I only use a single graphics card on a socket 1150 system
so I really don't have the answers to your questions. Best of luck on your Build !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back