Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My current Hackintosh (a readymade) is dying under my feet after 5 mostly stable years (S***T!) so here I am - out of my depth!

I need a build to run Mavericks and Adobe CS6 (mainly Photoshop but also Indesign and Illustrator). I generate big files (>1gb) in my work as an illustrator, I zoom and pan a lot and have got used to a really reliable budget set up.

I don't want to ditch CS6 and I'm told Mavericks is the latest OSX that will work best with it but obviously the hardware has moved on. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on my list so far.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H M-ATX 1151 7th Gen DDR4 M.2

CPU
Core i7-7700K, Speed: 4.2 GHz, QuadCore, 8 Mb Cache

RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2C16G4D240FSC (White)

COOLER
Corsair hydro series H55

GPU

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050 GDDR5 2GB PCI-E

PSU
Corsair SF450 SFF450watt

DRIVES

LG Electronics Super Multi DVD Writer GH24NSD1 with M-DISC

Do you think it will work? It's a budget stretch so I sure as heck hope so.

My current Hackintosh (a readymade) is dying under my feet after 5 mostly stable years (S***T!) so here I am - out of my depth!

I need a build to run Mavericks and Adobe CS6 (mainly Photoshop but also Indesign and Illustrator). I generate big files (>1gb) in my work as an illustrator, I zoom and pan a lot and have got used to a really reliable budget set up.

I don't want to ditch CS6 and I'm told Mavericks is the latest OSX that will work best with it but obviously the hardware has moved on. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on my list so far.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H M-ATX 1151 7th Gen DDR4 M.2

CPU
Core i7-7700K, Speed: 4.2 GHz, QuadCore, 8 Mb Cache

RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2C16G4D240FSC (White)

COOLER
Corsair hydro series H55

GPU
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050 GDDR5 2GB PCI-E

PSU
Corsair SF450 SFF450watt

DRIVES

LG Electronics Super Multi DVD Writer GH24NSD1 with M-DISC

Do you think it will work? It's a budget stretch so I sure as heck hope so.

This build will only work with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra.

If you really need to run Mavericks, then you will need to find an older system with Haswell hardware (Intel 8 / 9 series chipset) or before. I have several older systems with Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge hardware (Intel 6 / 7 series chipset) that runs older versions like Mountain Lion / Mavericks / Yosemite quite well.

thanks for this information both of you. Worrying though it is :eek:. Can you point to me a build list i could use as a start point. Or recommend a motherboard? Many of the older ones seem unavailable or at crazy high prices.

Might something like this work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Ha...237924?hash=item5d7b56b2a4:g:SPQAAOSwTIhaVPY3

This build will only work with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra.

If you really need to run Mavericks, then you will need to find an older system with Haswell hardware (Intel 8 / 9 series chipset) or before. I have several older systems with Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge hardware (Intel 6 / 7 series chipset) that runs older versions like Mountain Lion / Mavericks / Yosemite quite well.

Thanks for this information both of you. Worrying though it is :eek:. Can you point to me a build list i could use as a start point. Or recommend a motherboard? Many of the older ones seem unavailable or at crazy high prices.

Might something like this work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Ha...237924?hash=item5d7b56b2a4:g:SPQAAOSwTIhaVPY3

That PC could work with Mavericks, although I can't be certain as the seller did not mention the motherboard model.

My "older build" and "Backup Sandy Build" both uses older Sandy Bridge hardware (Z68) paired with older graphics cards (GTX660 / GT240) which work well with Mavericks. Other Nvidia Kepler GPUs such as GTX650 / GTX650 Ti also work natively.

You can also consider a motherboard based on the Intel 7 series chipsets (Z77 / H77 / B75). Some time ago I have a build based on a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard (Realtek LAN and audio, both supported), Xeon E3 1230 V2 CPU, and an old GTS450 graphics card. It worked well with Mountain Lion to El Capitan. That motherboard is now used elsewhere and replaced by a GA-H77M-D3H, which also worked well, but the H77 has VIA audio which is not supported.

Thank you for that information. That gives me something solid to work on. For now I think I will shelve this project for later and source an older mac pro as my current machine has died completely and deadlines loom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back