Contribute
Register

so far no dice with iboot/multibeast (sort of solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: so far no dice with iboot/multibeast

hi hi

Reinstalled and was able to boot into safe mode with 10.6.5 and Vervet. I've never gotten that far before so I will take this as a good sign.

hi hi

Some strange anomalies to report.

Although I had previously thought that I had installed the com.apple.Boot.plist with 32 bit GraphicsEnabler=No, when I went into the file to check it manually it said it was running with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Very strange indeed, I think perhaps some operation in MultiBeast might have been changing it back to Yes, but I don't know what.

Second when I checked my system profile for the PCI slot, it said I was running Uakari even when I had installed Vervet. I am not sure if this is a superficial difference or if MultiBeast isn't installing Vervet at all.

At least I can boot into safe mode now. I suppose I'll have to search and find a stand alone version of Vervet and see if that works.

icekatze said:
hi hi

Some strange anomalies to report.

Although I had previously thought that I had installed the com.apple.Boot.plist with 32 bit GraphicsEnabler=No, when I went into the file to check it manually it said it was running with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Very strange indeed, I think perhaps some operation in MultiBeast might have been changing it back to Yes, but I don't know what.

Second when I checked my system profile for the PCI slot, it said I was running Uakari even when I had installed Vervet. I am not sure if this is a superficial difference or if MultiBeast isn't installing Vervet at all.

At least I can boot into safe mode now. I suppose I'll have to search and find a stand alone version of Vervet and see if that works.
Are you still booting with iBoot or from your HD?

hi hi

I am booting from my hard drive. I just recently reformatted and installed fresh with the same results. My working hypothesis is that it is either a superficial labeling mismatch, or that MultiBeast 2.5.1 is installing the wrong ATY_init.

I am going to see if MultiBeast 2.4 will do anything differently. (If I can find a place that is still hosting it)

hi hi

I re-installed ATY_init using Vervet from MultiBeast 2.4, however the result is the same. My system profiler still says it is running Uakari. This leads me to believe that it is a superficial indicator and I did actually install Vervet. If that is the case, then neither of them seem to work.

I seem to be exhausting all of my software options and it may be that there is something about my particular brand of graphics card that is causing a hardware conflict. It works fine on my Windows 7 drive, but so far all I can get out of OS 10.6.5 (outside of safe mode) is either a grey screen or a jumbled screen after the grey apple boot screen. (and yes, I did set GraphicsEnabler=No)

So I suppose until I can figure out what (if anything) I did wrong, I'd suggest other people stay away from this graphics card for their build, regardless of any good bargains they may or may not find.

hi hi

I got my machine to boot up in 10.6.5, using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental by Kabyl. I checked to make sure my device id was in the 5000 and 3000 kext, and it was.

However in order to make it happen, I had to remove the 3000 kext, so I don't know if it is going to be working at full capacity yet.

icekatze said:
hi hi

I got my machine to boot up in 10.6.5, using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental by Kabyl. I checked to make sure my device id was in the 5000 and 3000 kext, and it was.

However in order to make it happen, I had to remove the 3000 kext, so I don't know if it is going to be working at full capacity yet.

Thats good to hear, keep us updated.

Remember to click on the root check box for System Utils so both items are checked in Multibeast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back