Contribute
Register

SO CLOSE CATALINA 15.5.1 / Asus Rog Strix Z390-E / i9-9900K/ Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll, we fixin' to find out....

It failed with the same error message.

Well, that's a bad but good news. At least you know your SSD is fine.

Did you build your own EFI folder?

There's a guide for your motherboard you probably have seen and someone succeeded installing Catalina on it and shared their EFI (can you give it a try?):

I found a Clover/OpenCore Github repo too:

That is actually the EFI I am using. I'm not familiar with OpenCore. I took a look at it and it seems like it might be a little above my pay grade. I just checked the BIOS and noticed my SSD was plugged into SATA 2. Would that be a problem?

Not really, it's just gonna be running slower that what it is capable of.

I'm starting to think that there's something going on with 10.15.5.
This section of the forum is filled with Z390 chipset owners having issues updating from an earlier version of Catalina to 10.15.5.

Well I just checked that BIOS settings that cat on GitHub was using and he's running in XMP2, so gonna give that a try, Yeah I looked like crazy for one of the gigabyte designaire boards but they were sold out everywhere, and I do notice a lot of people having issues with this particular board.

I do notice a lot of people having issues with this particular board.

I'm helping another person with the exact same board (without dGPU), so once I get his to work, we'll know if the issue is caused by that specific motherboard.

I'm helping another person with the exact same board (without dGPU), so once I get his to work, we'll know if the issue is caused by that specific motherboard.

Other folks have gotten it to work. Thats why I chose it. It seemed like the closest thing I could get to the Designaires, on a 300 series chipset with baked in USBC. This has turned into such a time sink and its keeping me out of the studio for much longer than I had anticipated. I sure hope once I get it set up I'm not chasing problems down all the time. I'm getting a little despondent.

I've setup several Hackintoshes for friends over the years, it's always easier when you have the hardware in front of you...

Oh yeah, I’m sure. I’m thankful for everyone’s help. I’m technology proficient but no expert when it comes to deeper computer functions, so the expert advice is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back