Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkPad T530, 2429-W92
CPU
i5-3230M 2.6 GHz, QM77 chipset
Graphics
HD 4000, 1600x900
Mac
  1. Mac mini
The basic instructions here on TonyMac describing this install says to download iBoot and provides a link:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

The linked page shows 3 iBoot files but no criteria by which to choose one of the three:

The "iBoot 3.3.0" is "a Chameleon Boot132 CD specifically designed to work with Intel CPUs". I don't know what a Chameleon Boot132 CD" is. Do I need this? How can I know?

The "iBoot Ivy Bridge 1.1.0" file is not for me, I think. As best I can tell the T3400 is not an Ivy Bridge CPU.

The "iBoot Legacy 2.7.2" says it's for "unsupported Intel processors". Which processors are these? Which are supported and which are not?

Which iBoot file to I need to install Snow Leopard on this Toshiba laptop?

Thanks,
Mac (really!)
- - -
Toshiba Satellite L305-S5937

PSLB8U-0FE040

UPC: 883974187386

Details here:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_L305-S5937.pdf

Use iBoot 3.3.0 however if that does not work use iBoot Legacy

OK, I booted the iBoot disc (iBoot.iso) and installed Snow Leopard.

When I got to the configuration pages (setting up Snow Leopard) it comes to the page where I choose a network. I can't choose the LAN -- it's grayed-out. No driver?

So I can't download the 10.6.8 updater nor MultiBeast.

What next?

Another question: do I have to boot iBoot every time I want to run OS X on this Toshiba laptop? Or is there a point where it is "self booting" (without iBoot)?

Thanks!

Hi Yes, you need to run Multibeast 3.9.1 and select Chimera etc then you can boot without the CD. As for the LAN can you find out first is it Aetheros (like the wifi) or Realtek...you can then set this in Multibeast or get the right kexts from somewhere. To get Multibeast download to a USB stick on another pc and then copy over to desktop. Also caution with 10.6.8 you may find it gets stuck on PCI Configuration begin....:(

As a tip I split my drive in 2 partitions, one for back-ups. Once you have installed 10.6 use disk utility to save a back-up image on the spare drive. I do this often then if you ever break it you can boot from the iBoot, run USB install and use Disk Utility in the install to restore the good image...sure saves a lot of time.

OK, I booted the iBoot disc (iBoot.iso) and installed Snow Leopard.

When I got to the configuration pages (setting up Snow Leopard) it comes to the page where I choose a network. I can't choose the LAN -- it's grayed-out. No driver?

So I can't download the 10.6.8 updater nor MultiBeast.

Download them using another machine. Transfer with USB stick.

What next?

Another question: do I have to boot iBoot every time I want to run OS X on this Toshiba laptop? Or is there a point where it is "self booting" (without iBoot)?

Thanks!

You need to install a boot loader.

FYI: I had this same laptop and tried to install SL on it. I got it working, including full resolution, but no QE/CI which makes it a pretty miserable experience. The GMA4500 is not supported by OS X. Maybe you'll have better luck finding a solution to that. I did not.

Also, I wasn't able to get the Realtek ethernet working with any of the four drivers now available. Maybe it was a bug that I could have fixed, but didn't look into it. I did get WiFi to work by swapping in a compatible card.

Hi Yes, you need to run Multibeast 3.9.1 and select Chimera etc then you can boot without the CD. As for the LAN can you find out first is it Aetheros (like the wifi) or Realtek...you can then set this in Multibeast or get the right kexts from somewhere. To get Multibeast download to a USB stick on another pc and then copy over to desktop. Also caution with 10.6.8 you may find it gets stuck on PCI Configuration begin....:(

1.5 GB USB stick (4 GB partitioned to 1.5 & 2.5 GB) is not seen by TonyMac Snow Leopard install. System Profiler shows nothing plugged into USB except mouse. (Stick is good: I transferred files to it using Snow Leopard on another Mac.) Format is MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Ethernet: System Profiler says Vendor ID 0x168c and Device ID 0x002a (Atheros AR5B91):

http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=174

Is there a solution if I get stuck on PCI Configuration? (What is PCI Configuration?)

As a tip I split my drive in 2 partitions, one for back-ups. Once you have installed 10.6 use disk utility to save a back-up image on the spare drive. I do this often then if you ever break it you can boot from the iBoot, run USB install and use Disk Utility in the install to restore the good image...sure saves a lot of time.

Thanks for the tip. What size did you make the backup partition? How do I use Disk Utility to save a backup? Never done that... Do you mean make a "Disk Image" of the boot volume?

Thanks!

1.5 GB USB stick (4 GB partitioned to 1.5 & 2.5 GB) is not seen by TonyMac Snow Leopard install. System Profiler shows nothing plugged into USB except mouse. (Stick is good: I transferred files to it using Snow Leopard on another Mac.) Format is MacOS Extended (Journaled).

You probably need to boot with USBBusFix=Yes

Ethernet: System Profiler says Vendor ID 0x168c and Device ID 0x002a (Atheros AR5B91):

http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=174

That is not ethernet... it is WiFi and it might work out of box, or maybe with DSDT patch mapping to 168c:0030.

For sure ML and Lion it works out of box.

You probably need to boot with USBBusFix=Yes

I've seen these "boot switches" but don't know how to implement these (I'm no stranger to Terminal, etc. but a real noob with hackintosh). Is there a guide showing how to do this?

That is not ethernet...

Ah, I see now. (But it's listed under "Ethernet Cards" in System Profiler... odd.) Where do I see what Ethernet card hardware I have installed?

it is WiFi and it might work out of box, or maybe with DSDT patch mapping to 168c:0030.

Where to find instructions on such patch?

Thanks!

FYI: I had this same laptop and tried to install SL on it. I got it working, including full resolution, but no QE/CI which makes it a pretty miserable experience. The GMA4500 is not supported by OS X. Maybe you'll have better luck finding a solution to that. I did not.

The datasheet for this laptop does say "GMA4500M", but System Profiler says this under "Graphics/Displays": GMAX3100. If it is truly a 3100, I see there is a history of good kext support for this, including resolutions and QE/CI. Better to have a lowly -- but supported -- graphics card, I guess.

Snow Leopard -> Toshiba L305 question

I've seen these "boot switches" but don't know how to implement these (I'm no stranger to Terminal, etc. but a real noob with hackintosh). Is there a guide showing how to do this?

You can type them at the Chimera boot menu before hitting enter, or you can enter them (if you want them more permanent) in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Ah, I see now. (But it's listed under "Ethernet Cards" in System Profiler... odd.) Where do I see what Ethernet card hardware I have installed?

In Device Manager under Windows, 'lspci -nn' on Linux, or DPCIManager in OS X.

Where to find instructions on such patch?

See if you need a patch first. I think on SL it is going to load AirPortAtheros21.kext (from /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns) but I'm thinking that is the wrong driver, you probably want AirPortAtheros9388.kext which requires pci168c,30.

We use this patch on the ProBook to map pci168c,2b to pci168c,30:
Code:
#Maintained by: RehabMan for: HP Probook 4x30s/4x40s
# 08_AR9285.txt

into method label _DSM parent_label WNIC remove_entry;
into method label _DSM parent_label ARPT remove_entry;

into all label WNIC set_label begin ARPT end;

#   Airport fix works with vanilla IO80211 kext

into device label ARPT insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "device-id",\n
        Buffer() { 0x30, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },\n
        "AAPL,slot-name",\n
        Buffer() { "AirPort" },\n
        "device_type",\n
        Buffer() { "AirPort" },\n
        "model",\n
        Buffer() { "Atheros 9285 802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter" },\n
        "subsystem-id",\n
        Buffer() { 0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },\n
        "subsystem-vendor-id",\n
        Buffer() { 0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00 },\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

But some of the specifics depend on exactly where/what names your WLAN device is in DSDT/ioreg.

You can also use an injector kext, which is probably the most generic way to do it (I'm actually just now learning how to create one). But first see if you really need it.

- - - Updated - - -

The datasheet for this laptop does say "GMA4500M", but System Profiler says this under "Graphics/Displays": GMAX3100. If it is truly a 3100, I see there is a history of good kext support for this, including resolutions and QE/CI. Better to have a lowly -- but supported -- graphics card, I guess.

It is not X3100 -- if it was it would work. Unfortunately...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back