ATi Radeon HD 5870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone!

After long researching and help from loads of kind forum members, in particular Dr Who? I have finally ordered my system... Only snag I'm due to return from four months traveling on Monday and all the snow has closed Heathrow! :banghead:
Don't get me wrong Sri lanka is a beautiful place and it's 30 degrees and clear waters are paradise but after four months my own bed and more importantly my new computer are calling!

I digress on to my ordered parts, please let me know of any issues of compatibility or advice on getting osx up and running. As the parts are still unopened I'd be able to change where necessary...

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1156 GA-P55A-UD4
Graphics card: XFX HD 5870 XXX radeon graphics card model: HD-587A-ZND9
Hard Drive: Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive x2 (osx / win7)
Powersupply: OCZ StealthXStream 2 700W Power Supply
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
Optical Drive: Sony Optical DVD Writer, AD-7260S-0B, SATA, Black, OEM
Case: Coolermaster Elite 430, Black, Mid
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900-MAX Blue, Ultra Aer
Case Fans: 120mm AKASA AK-191SM near Silent x2
WIFI: Build my own

That's the lot apart from a used g5 tower that I plan to slowly modify to accept all my parts, not sure on length of time of this project so getting the computer up and running is my first priority!

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome and very much appreciated!

Merry Christmas everyone and happy holidays :thumbup:

Thanks Xeones! Let me know if you need any help.

I've been experimenting with the Graphics Enabler set to yes and a 64-bit kernel, and so far I haven't run in to ANY issues; but I've only been testing it since today.

You've deserved the mention Dr Who? Been more than helpful!

Does that mean you've got osx running with full 64 bit without any issues? Would be great to hear the results of your testing... Fingers crossed!

Xeones said:
You've deserved the mention Dr Who? Been more than helpful!

Does that mean you've got osx running with full 64 bit without any issues? Would be great to hear the results of your testing... Fingers crossed!

Sure does! I only have 4GB of RAM, and I don't do any thing like Final Cut or Photoshop, so I don't know if I'll see any benefits of 64-bit vs. 32-bit, but it's nice to know that's working.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but when your installing your OSes be sure to disconnect the other hard drive. I made that mistake before, and I had to reinstall the OS.

Also, be sure to follow this guide when installing Windows 7 (it will make things a lot cleaner latter on)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...reserved-partition-when-installing-windows-7/

I actually found this guide after I installed Windows. I used 3rd party software to format the drive as NTFS before I installed Windows 7, and it worked out great.

:clap: again!!

I'm a little confused about using osx and win7 on one machine maybe you could correct my ignorance Dr...

Won't messing with the bios to get osx working interfere with the normal workings of windows?

Is this why do you have to remove the 100 mb partition? Unsure as to why this has to be removed?

Is there some software that enables you to choose which operating system to boot from automatically or do you have to constantly use the hard chic... Holding and f button... Can't remember which!?

Thanks!

The reason why it's best to remove the 100MB partition is because when you use the chameleon boot loader there will actually be two Windows partitions. One called something like NTFS Boot and NTFS Data. You'll have to select the NTFS boot to login to Windows. To me this just looks nasty. That's why I like to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back