Graphics
new
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I have been building computers for years and this is my first mac attempt. I have the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. I am installing snow-leopard and all is well. I had to take the I3 out of my kids computer to make this work which is a sandy bridge. I then go for update after update helper, all goes well then I reboot and I get a white screen spin ant then black. I says something about error with Itunes. Some other errors, I tried all the boot tricks but nothing made it get past that screen. My hope is to install mountain lion and uni-beast I just cant get there because I need that apple program.. It says I should barrow someones computer but i do not have anyone with them. Do I have an old bios on my new board. I know you don't have enough info but I thought maybe you had the same problems once. Maybe one of my settings are wrong in bios but I have all the recommended settings. Can you help?

Hi, I have been building computers for years and this is my first mac attempt. I have the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. I am installing snow-leopard and all is well. I had to take the I3 out of my kids computer to make this work which is a sandy bridge. I then go for update after update helper, all goes well then I reboot and I get a white screen spin ant then black. I says something about error with Itunes. Some other errors, I tried all the boot tricks but nothing made it get past that screen. My hope is to install mountain lion and uni-beast I just cant get there because I need that apple program.. It says I should barrow someones computer but i do not have anyone with them. Do I have an old bios on my new board. I know you don't have enough info but I thought maybe you had the same problems once. Maybe one of my settings are wrong in bios but I have all the recommended settings. Can you help?

jimmybeth
as you have replace you Ivy Bridge w a SAndy Bridge this improves your chances -
And as your MB states it does support both IB and Sb cpu's.
What you will need is to do some seachs on this MB - Google and a SB cpu
most of the time we us a DSDT file but this board has an UEFi bios and this can confuse us and the installers.
A DSDT aml file was done by another user - see this link
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=62757
You will need to create a account /user ID they are not sync'd. DSDT file is in bottom of first post - word of caution many users have this MB anc have had issues w Audio. In SL

You will need to tools that we use and a legal OSX Snow Leopard DVD.

If you set you BIOS into legacy mode and set AHCI and HPET as well as S3 properties as it spec'd in TonyMacx86 Guide
then you can begin -
If now DSDT file - use the non DSDT method in multibeast -
Also follow this guide for a Sandy Bridge CPU

-------------------------------------------------------------------
How to do a sandybridge cpu w compatable hardware OSX hack 10.6.8 build. jester969

Typical installation steps are:
1) iBoot + Disk Utility + install Snow Leopard DVD (perform install via DVD) reboot
2) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD (boot with iBoot and loading OS via newly installed HDD) - get welcome screen
3) Run Update Helper and Reboot?
4) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD, run combo update 10.6.8 , DO NOT reboot
5) Run Multibeast and select option which are required to your board.
6) Reboot w/out iBoot

Audio/Ethernet/DSDT

DSDT and BIOS firmware must match to the corresponding number.

------------------------------------------------------------

also this
Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards
http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

You will need a lot of command switchs at start - "-x -v -f acpi=off PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No "
once you have it running suggest you use this setting for each reboot "-v -f PCIRootUID=0"

Update 1 - See these links for a thread that my help you -
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...i5-3570k-ga-z77x-ud5h-wb-geforce-210-a-2.html
Also here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...osh-intel-core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-6.html

Well Thank you for trying. I followed some of what you wrote. I found that the z77x up5th was very quirky through the whole process. I found it ended up being the key thread to everything.
The whole thing was to have a geforce video card handy. On snow leopard 10.6.3 it wanted to use the onboard video with a sandy bridge processor. Then on snow leopard 10.6.8 upgrade it wanted
a geforce card. Then to go to Mountain Lion it wanted no video card. Now I am afraid to put my geforce card in because the system is so awesome I cant tell you. It was easy peasy once I figured out the video card issue. No boot commands could change this. I do not know how to post this into a forum where I could help others with this problem Board is Gaz77x up5 th. not ud5h. Please forward this to the powers that be. Thanks to all.

Well Thank you for trying. I followed some of what you wrote. I found that the z77x up5th was very quirky through the whole process. I found it ended up being the key thread to everything.
The whole thing was to have a geforce video card handy. On snow leopard 10.6.3 it wanted to use the onboard video with a sandy bridge processor. Then on snow leopard 10.6.8 upgrade it wanted
a geforce card. Then to go to Mountain Lion it wanted no video card. Now I am afraid to put my geforce card in because the system is so awesome I cant tell you. It was easy peasy once I figured out the video card issue. No boot commands could change this. I do not know how to post this into a forum where I could help others with this problem Board is Gaz77x up5 th. not ud5h. Please forward this to the powers that be. Thanks to all.

jimmybeth

A lot of discussion on this situation - I think you should look at this thread
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-desktop-support/75394-asus-p8z77-v-kernel-panic-error.html

Read the whole Thread but mostly read post 6 paragraph 2 (along w the all of post 6) if you do the Google search as stated in that post you may have an answer to your situation.
Also if you have not read the TMX86 FAQ - I suggest you do that as well - http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

Let us know how it goes.

jimmybeth

A lot of discussion on this situation - I think you should look at this thread
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-desktop-support/75394-asus-p8z77-v-kernel-panic-error.html

Read the whole Thread but mostly read post 6 paragraph 2 (along w the all of post 6) if you do the Google search as stated in that post you may have an answer to your situation.
Also if you have not read the TMX86 FAQ - I suggest you do that as well - http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

Let us know how it goes.

Hey, Tote, you seen this? http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html
Might make it easier to answer that "I can't get SL working to download ML problem". Haven't tested this version, but earlier versions I did test had long wait times at end of BIOS post before the HD4000 gfx kicked in and for the mouse buttons to become active after it reached the install screen so advise a great amount of patience on the part of the installler.

Finally figured out the common thread to completing my mountain lion build.
In snow leopard 10.6.3 it liked the onboard video and a sandy bridge. That was necessary.

Then for the update I needed a video geforce video card. It was the key after 2 weekends of work. I could not believe it.

The after the Mountain lion update use the onboard video and my ivy bridge 3570. It worked perfect.

So the failures all stemmed from a video problem

No boot codes helped me.

But -v definetly finally helped. And one obscure thread I saw that told me about this video card thing.

I can share my bios settings I used bios 11 update through the entire process. I am definetly happy.

I would like to donate money to tonymac86 if it responds to this thread. It could have saved 2 weekends.

I also found multibeast settings for lion on an obscure thread on google which helped get sound and ethernet working again.

Finally figured out the common thread to completing my mountain lion build.
In snow leopard 10.6.3 it liked the onboard video and a sandy bridge. That was necessary.

Then for the update I needed a video geforce video card. It was the key after 2 weekends of work. I could not believe it.

The after the Mountain lion update use the onboard video and my ivy bridge 3570. It worked perfect.

So the failures all stemmed from a video problem

No boot codes helped me.

But -v definetly finally helped. And one obscure thread I saw that told me about this video card thing.

I can share my bios settings I used bios 11 update through the entire process. I am definetly happy.

I would like to donate money to tonymac86 if it responds to this thread. It could have saved 2 weekends.

I also found multibeast settings for lion on an obscure thread on google which helped get sound and ethernet working again.

JimmyBeth

If you are still having issues trying to get your Snow Leo install to work - you may want to check the newer IBoot For Ivy Bridge - it appears that Tony and the gang have made a special iBoot cd for Ivy Bridge and Z77 chipset Motherboards.

look for this iBoot Ivy Bridge 1.0.0

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=149

Use this iBoot on you IB CPu and this should get you to an OSX 10 6 successfully install - apparently use this cd in place of the older traditional iBoot CD.

Thanks everyone for your help. I never understood how awesome everyone here is. It is such a cool community of people and I am sorry for some of my replies and shares. It has been a truly awesome difference between lion and win7. Thanks Tonymac and community.

Thanks everyone for your help. I never understood how awesome everyone here is. It is such a cool community of people and I am sorry for some of my replies and shares. It has been a truly awesome difference between lion and win7. Thanks Tonymac and community.

jimmybeth

Glad you got it working - good for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back