i5-8600K
Graphics
Sapphire Rx580 Nitro+ 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I sincerely apologise if this is the wrong place to start a thread, But I have just bought a few peripherals for my second hackintosh build. I bought an i5 8600k processor and a Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 8GB graphic card. I am having issues deciding which SMBIOS I should select. I have been suggested 18'3 but not sure if that will be good for the Coffee Lake Processor I have. I obviously want the best performance from my GPU and CPU for video editing so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Go with iMac18,3, you'll get full H264/HEVC hardware encoding/decoding from your iGPU and/or RX580.

Go with iMac18,3, you'll get full H264/HEVC hardware encoding/decoding from your iGPU and/or RX580.

Thankyou for your reply! This may sound like a very silly question but If I don't select 19'1 (which is for Coffee Lake Processors) will I not get the H264/HEVC encoding/decoding from my Rx 580?

And what's the downside by picking the SMBIOS which is not the same as my Coffee Lake Processor?

I suppose you're gonna use it on Catalina? I just checked and iMac19,1 is a better choice.

I had my current system running perfectly fine (and still) for almost 2 years on iMac18,3 with full hardware H264/HEVC encoding/decoding from my RX580 and iGPU.

Thankyou for your reply! This may sound like a very silly question but If I don't select 19'1 (which is for Coffee Lake Processors) will I not get the H264/HEVC encoding/decoding from my Rx 580?

And what's the downside by picking the SMBIOS which is not the same as my Coffee Lake Processor?

Coffee Lake is just refreshed 6th Skylake, 7th Kabby Lake, 8th/9th Coffee Lake, are more or less the same chips with coffee lake adding cores. 17.x is Skylake, 18.x is Kabby lake, 19.x or 8.1 Mac mini Coffee Lake. Lots of us use iMac Pro 1,1 with coffee lake CPU.

I suppose you're gonna use it on Catalina? I just checked and iMac19,1 is a better choice.

I had my current system running perfectly fine (and still) for almost 2 years on iMac18,3 with full hardware H264/HEVC encoding/decoding from my RX580 and iGPU.

Yes I will be running Catalina. Thing is from what I can see, iMac 19'1 uses Rx 580X graphics. So not sure if that will have a difference.

once again, sounds like a silly question, but if I go for 19'1, how will I know if my hardware isn't encoding with H264/HEVC

You can see it with HWMonitorSMC2, iStat Menus, Intel Power Gadget and also Hackintool.

When you are playing or encoding some H264/HEVC content, you'll see their activity.

HWMonitorSMC2.jpg
iStat Menus.jpg

Coffee Lake is just refreshed 6th Skylake, 7th Kabby Lake, 8th/9th Coffee Lake, are more or less the same chips with coffee lake adding cores. 17.x is Skylake, 18.x is Kabby lake, 19.x or 8.1 Mac mini Coffee Lake. Lots of us use iMac Pro 1,1 with coffee lake CPU.

should I give iMac Pro 1,1 a go then with my RX 580 card and i5 8600K CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back