Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> SMBIOS Change to Circumvent HD3000 - Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My hardware profile is correct.

Now successfully running Mojave Legacy boot with f10 BIOS with Sapphire RX 580 dual monitor off DP ports, System Def 14,2.

I know HD3000 is not metal capable or supported with Mojave.
However, my understanding is that the 14,2 sys def on a real Mac has an iGPU that is leveraged by the dGPU for some functions.
(e.g. JPG quick preview, preview app for jpg, and I've read HD streaming in iTunes)

I added a boot arg in config to correct the jpg quick preview and prevents preview app from crashing when viewing jpgs. But I don't really like that solution... kinda dirty. :p

I saw in another thread that using System Definition "iMacPro 1,1" will solve the issue of incompatible iGPU. Reason why is because apparently the iMac Pro only has a dGPU and no onboard iGPU, thereby all graphics functions run through a single GFX card.

The caveat is that the iMac Pro has a Xenon processor and I have an Intel i7-2600.

So many question is, with my hardware, would it be possible to use the iMac Pro 1,1 system def on my hardware?

And, if I change the system definition do I also have to change all the other data in SMBIOS?

I've never really messed with that because I've always used multibeast to set that up.

My hardware profile is correct.

Now successfully running Mojave Legacy boot with f10 BIOS with Sapphire RX 580 dual monitor off DP ports, System Def 14,2.

I know HD3000 is not metal capable or supported with Mojave.
However, my understanding is that the 14,2 sys def on a real Mac has an iGPU that is leveraged by the dGPU for some functions.
(e.g. JPG quick preview, preview app for jpg, and I've read HD streaming in iTunes)

I added a boot arg in config to correct the jpg quick preview and prevents preview app from crashing when viewing jpgs. But I don't really like that solution... kinda dirty. :p

I saw in another thread that using System Definition "iMacPro 1,1" will solve the issue of incompatible iGPU. Reason why is because apparently the iMac Pro only has a dGPU and no onboard iGPU, thereby all graphics functions run through a single GFX card.

The caveat is that the iMac Pro has a Xenon processor and I have an Intel i7-2600.

So many question is, with my hardware, would it be possible to use the iMac Pro 1,1 system def on my hardware?

And, if I change the system definition do I also have to change all the other data in SMBIOS?

I've never really messed with that because I've always used multibeast to set that up.

How about using MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1? Mac Pros have no CPU integrated graphics either.

How about using MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1? Mac Pros have no CPU integrated graphics either.

Thank for your reply. I did not know this in regard to the Mac Pro system definitions.

In regard to my second question... can I simply change the system definition field in Clover config under SMBIOS to one of your suggested Mac Pro models, or do I also need to change some of the other fields like Bios version, board ID, smUUID, etc.? And if I need to change all that too, can I keep the current serial number or do I have to change that too?

I could experiment with simply changing the system name in clover boot options right? Seeing if the system boots and then finalize the changes if successful?

Was looking at this post for correct way to change SMBIOS.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-configure-your-systems-smbios-correctly.198155/

Thank for your reply. I did not know this in regard to the Mac Pro system definitions.

In regard to my second question... can I simply change the system definition field in Clover config under SMBIOS to one of your suggested Mac Pro models, or do I also need to change some of the other fields like Bios version, board ID, smUUID, etc.? And if I need to change all that too, can I keep the current serial number or do I have to change that too?

I could experiment with simply changing the system name in clover boot options right? Seeing if the system boots and then finalize the changes if successful?

Was looking at this post for correct way to change SMBIOS.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-configure-your-systems-smbios-correctly.198155/

You can experiment with changing the system definition in the Clover boot options. I do this myself from time to time when necessary.

I don't know about the answer to your first question, and I find no need to mess with those, but that is probably because I never use any software that requires activation on my hackintosh. Software that requires internet activation (e.g. Photoshop) may register your hardware information, including the serial number and system definition with the software vendor, and changing any of them may cause the activation to fail as the software may consider you are trying to use it on a different machine.

if you don't need the keep the old SystemConfiguration, you can go ahead change the SMBIOS

after your change the SMBIOS, the macOS will create a new profile for you, just like fresh installation

Last edited:
You can experiment with changing the system definition in the Clover boot options. I do this myself from time to time when necessary.

Ok great... So I assume if I change the Sys Def in Clover and it doesn't boot, I just reboot and try another?

I don't know about the answer to your first question, and I find no need to mess with those, but that is probably because I never use any software that requires activation on my hackintosh. Software that requires internet activation (e.g. Photoshop) may register your hardware information, including the serial number and system definition with the software vendor, and changing any of them may cause the activation to fail as the software may consider you are trying to use it on a different machine.

I see.... thank you... I didn't know why all that information needed to be there, but your explanation makes sense.
I'm still running CS6 :thumbup: Adobe. Migrated from system to system... lol.

The reason I'm going through this is to know if I need to have a system definition or patch that will allow either the HD3000 to run headless mode with the RX 580, like a real Mac with iGPU and dGPU. OR, but knowing the HD3000 is not supported in Mojave if I should change Sys Def to a model that doesn't have an iGPU?

I've read through this post... I would definitely log out of iCloud, etc. before experimenting with Sys Defs even through Clover boot options.

I've already checked my account for configuration ids... Since I've been using 14,2 for so long, I only have that one listed along side my iPhone and iPad.

Ok great... So I assume if I change the Sys Def in Clover and it doesn't boot, I just reboot and try another?

I see.... thank you... I didn't know why all that information needed to be there, but your explanation makes sense.
I'm still running CS6 :thumbup: Adobe. Migrated from system to system... lol.

The reason I'm going through this is to know if I need to have a system definition or patch that will allow either the HD3000 to run headless mode with the RX 580, like a real Mac with iGPU and dGPU. OR, but knowing the HD3000 is not supported in Mojave if I should change Sys Def to a model that doesn't have an iGPU?

HD3000 is a rubbish IGPU (only support H.264 up to 2K resolution, not support HEVC), no point to use it in headless mode

HD3000 is a rubbish IGPU (only support H.264 up to 2K resolution, not support HEVC), no point to use it in headless mode

Well, it used to not be rubbish... lol.

I know I'm running old tech, but this is the first Hack I built and it's been a beast for a LONG time.

Mojave is the last OS update I will do on this mobo and processor. (It's running Mojave great... need to tweak a few things still)

The only reason I was asking about headless mode is because of my current Sys Def of 14,2 the iGPU is leveraged for some functions (like H.264, JPG preview, Quick Preview) that I currently have a boot arg in config to correct. But I would rather not use that fix since I have a perfectly capable RX 580 that shouldn't need the assist.

Therefore, it would appear I need to try a Sys Def that does not have an iGPU and deactivate the HD3000 for this build.

Guess I'll try MacPro 5,1 MacPro 6,1 and iMacPro 1,1 and see what happens.

Let's say they all work... then is there a way to tell which one gives best performance, temps, CPU efficiency, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back