Graphics
AMD
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm going to be living in an RV full time starting this summer. I have a Mac Mini, a Macbook Pro, and my wife has Macbook Air. The Mac mini doesn't get used much, so I'm hoping to replace it with something that is physically smaller and uses a lot less electricity. I tried getting one of those Lenovo stick PCs to just run iTunes on and share my video/music library, but it sucks. I love macOS, but I need something that is smaller and draws less power than the mac mini, like I said.

I've read through the build guides, and I'm not sure even that is small enough for me. I don't mind using an external hard drive for the media storage, but I need bluetooth, ethernet, USB3, and HDMI. I think that's about it. So anyone have any idea on what my options are? I know I can't use the stick pc, and I won't be able to find anything nearly that small, but is there something I can find that at least draws a lot less wattage?

Shape doesn't really matter either, though a small tower would be ideal. That way I could put it against a wall and it would be mostly out of place. Power isn't really a priority either, its mostly just going to be used for streaming media and maybe as a sort of router to bring in cell or wifi from outside and share it somehow inside the RV.

I think maybe an Intel NUC is about the best you're going to be able to do - most of those can have macOS installed on them without too much difficulty. However, none of them is USB powered (I've never heard of a USB powered PC other than the stick PCs you mentioned and the Macbooks with USB-C ports).

I would just get one of those wireless hard drives that can stream content and have that in your vehicle. Then use the app that comes with it to stream your stuff while your in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back