Contribute
Register

Small/ Smallest Box to drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD via Dual link DVI-D / DisplayPort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Thinkpad X61T
CPU
Core 2 Duo 1.67
Graphics
Intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Small/ Smallest Box to drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD via Dual link DVI-D / DisplayPort?

REQUIRED:
a - VIDEO:
- Barebones Box/ Ready Box / Motherboard/ Case:
I'd like find the smallest box/ machine / Barebones or HTPC Media Streamer Box that has
the Video Hardware to support & Drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD at Native Resolution
- On board or added Video Card:
Integrated or Dedicated GPU to support this resolution (Intel, AMD or NVidia - No preferences here, any of them will do)

b - PORTS:
- Dual link DVI-D
AND / OR
- DisplayPort (Or Thunderbolt since TB = DP + PCIExpress i.e. Backward Compatible)

ADDITIONAL BONUS:
- LAN/ Gigabit LAN
- eSATA/ USB 3.0
- WiFi (Optional)

REQUIRED:
a - VIDEO:
- Barebones Box/ Ready Box / Motherboard/ Case:
I'd like find the smallest box/ machine / Barebones or HTPC Media Streamer Box that has
the Video Hardware to support & Drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD at Native Resolution
- On board or added Video Card:
Integrated or Dedicated GPU to support this resolution (Intel, AMD or NVidia - No preferences here, any of them will do)

b - PORTS:
- Dual link DVI-D
AND / OR
- DisplayPort (Or Thunderbolt since TB = DP + PCIExpress i.e. Backward Compatible)

ADDITIONAL BONUS:
- LAN/ Gigabit LAN
- eSATA/ USB 3.0
- WiFi (Optional)

The smallest system I know of is an Intel NUC - there are currently two Core i3-based models available, one with dual HDMI ports (model #DC3217IYE) and one with an HDMI and a Thunderbolt port (model #DC3217BY). From what I've read here on this site they're not too difficult to get OS X running on. There's a third model that's a lot cheaper, but it only has a Celeron processor, so its graphics are not sufficient to run OS X.

Did you see my requirement to drive a 30" 2560 x 1600?

- HDMI is usually capped to 1080p
- Newer HDMI specs can go higher but I am not sure if there is some ADAPTER to convert it to Dual Link DVI-D ?
- There is no Display Port on this Box

So, how am I going to drive a 30" Dual Link DVI-D LCD?

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this link. I posted and asked the same question on so many forums and wasnt able to get a single response that had both in a small MoBo factor.

I've been googling a lot but it is not EASY to FIND a MoBo or Box / Kit which has both DL DVI-D and DP.

How did you search for and find it? A little bit of your thought strategy/ steps would help.

Is there a certain Advanced Search string on Google that could work to find them? Please guide and I will search.

I even tried to see if NewEgg could do Advanced / Power Search on the MoBos but cannot use DP & DL DVI as parameters to filter.

This is the board in the box you linked.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131840

If I wanted to find more boards and boxes with this and WEED OUT the other ones how should I limit the google search results.

If I cant find more such options I am considering an alternative route as well as suggested on another forum.

[quote name="maarten12100" url="/t/1376755/small-smallest-box-to-drive-30-2560-x-1600-lcd-via-dual-link-dvi-d-displayport/10#post_19691962"]
He might wanna put some extra cash like 30 dollar towards a hd7750 if he is going down the LP gpu route.[/quote]

Cistron said:
crashnburn said:
Is there something out there which can do both:
2560 x 1600p over -
- Dual link DVI-D
AND
- DisplayPort | MDP | Thunderbolt (backward compat with DP)

Preferably Mini-ITX or grow it to Micro-ATX
The older MacMini A1283 had a MDP and mini-DVI. The newer ones have HDMI and thunderbold.

I don't know about the PC world. But it might be easier just to go for a mITX mainboard you fancy and get a low-end graphics card with two ports.

Since this is such an uncommon combination, now I am thinking in that direction. So let's say I update this as following, what would you suggest:

mITX board (Low priced if possible, but reliable)
- USB 3.0 | eSATA
- GigE RJ-45

Video / Graphics Card (Low low price since I am not gaming at all)
- Supports: 2560 x 1600
- Dual Link DVI-D
- DP | Mini DP
- Small / Compact / Low Profile
- Low Power | Low heat

Bonus if it can drive both together or multiple of the above ports

Bonus if MoBo has Thunderbolt (This might make it more expensive so this is not REQUIRED, but NICE TO HAVE).

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this link. I posted and asked the same question on so many forums and wasnt able to get a single response that had both in a small MoBo factor.

I've been googling a lot but it is not EASY to FIND a MoBo or Box / Kit which has both DL DVI-D and DP.

How did you search for and find it? A little bit of your thought strategy/ steps would help.

I knew the board supported the resolution and had DVI/HDMI/DP because I did a build with the board. It was just a matter of searching "P8Z77-I barebones". Newegg was the first hit.

Is there a certain Advanced Search string on Google that could work to find them? Please guide and I will search.

I even tried to see if NewEgg could do Advanced / Power Search on the MoBos but cannot use DP & DL DVI as parameters to filter.
There is a "more options" button at the bottom of the left pane on the Newegg->Motherboards->Intel Motherboards page right above Learning Center box. Click on this button for many more options. This is a better way to find what you want than the advanced search when searching a single item.

I have the same requirement, except I'm also driving a 20" at 1920.

I'm also look at power consumption so I'm leaning towards an IGP.

I'm waiting for Haswell, using a board with DP/Thunderbolt support and running a DP to DL-DVI (Although I hate converters) and using the DVI for the 20"

At the moment I'm running a 670 but it's an overkill as I don't game.

Let us know if you find anything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back