i7-8700
Graphics
HD 630 + Radeon Pro WX4100
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey community!
I need an advice which graphic card to buy. The problem is that it must fit into my streacom FC8 case. The maximum dimensions are length: 230mm height:80mm depth:20mm. It should be an upgrade from integrated graphics (HD630) which I currently use but silent fans are still more important than power. I am no gamer... I would be very thankful if you could help me to find something that also works with macOS.
thank you!

Here's an unboxing that will show you the size of it in relation to the person unboxing it.

thanks! The size looks good. Any experiences with fan noise on macOS? ;-)

thanks! The size looks good. Any experiences with fan noise on macOS? ;-)
I've never used one but have heard that it's about average for noise level from a small gfx card fan. If it's inside that thick AL case I don't think it will be at all bothersome.

That card looks almost like a wind-up toy.
It's a workstation graphics card. Many of them are designed like this even Nvidia versions.
Here's a Quadro P1000 card:

1597269395160.png

Last edited:
If you go with the WX4100 please let me know how's the fan noise? I have a Streacom F7C and I use the VisionTek RX 560 in it but the fan is too loud for my taste.

1597458809017.jpeg

I am also a bit afraid of fan noise. Currently there are no moving parts in my built because I use it as audio workstation. Another idea would be to install a thunderbold card and then connect an external graphic card. Any advises for compatible low profile thunderbold PCIe x 16 cards?

It's not hard to get a silent GPU, and going with the cheap cards unless they have a passive heatsink will noise than a premium card. I would look for something like a 5500XT because it will be supported by Apple going forward for a long time. One with a dual fan cooler. Then create a power play table that disables fan stop, set's the fan to minimum PWM, and then under clock the GPU as much as reasonably possible.

The cheap option if you already have a graphics card it's too noisy is to remove the crappy fan and strap a better fan to it. Any of the silent Noctua fans, the ones with the 3 pin fan cable and the lowest RPM rating, strapped to the card or mounted on a bracket over the card will work. There are fan support brackets that use the screws for the PCI-E cards to hold a fan so it blows down over the cards. It doesn't really take that much airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back