Contribute
Register

Sluggish Behaviour in ADOBE products. Open GL not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-UD5H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
it seems El Capitan has done away with OpenGL,Open CL which Photoshop, Premiere pro, After effects uses, so until Adobe update their software to the new Metal, which is what Apple have replaced OpenGL, OpenCL with, we're screwed. People reporting very choppy and sluggish behaviour on genuine Macs. so its back to Yosemite for me until this is all sorted. Read more about it here...http://feedback.photoshop.com/photo...th-el-capitan-not-useable-anymore-choppy-slow

El Capitan has not done away with GL/CL. It's working just fine in my version of Photoshop CS6 on El Capitan.

ps.jpg

There will always be some bugs in newer software releases, or certain hardware/software configurations that cause issues, and they will no doubt be addressed in due course, in point releases either by Adobe, or Apple, or both.

Welcome to the 'bleeding edge'.

Adobe have posted on there forum that the next update for there products should fix most issues, for now it seems the work around in premiere pro is to just select software render in the mercury project window... more info from adobe....

Warning about Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

This question is Not Answered.
_durin_ Adobe Employee_durin_ Oct 1, 2015 7:54 PM

I posted the following on the Adobe Audition blog this afternoon
http://blogs.adobe.com/audition/2015/10/audition-cc-and-osx-10-11-el-capitan.html

Attention Mac users:

We recommend users refrain from upgrading to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) at this time. Due to changes in application signing, users report crashing with many plugins and native effects. Additionally, there are many audio devices that will not function without updated drivers, and support has been dropped for many legacy devices by their manufacturers. Users may also not see the splash screen on launch.

As with most OS upgrades, you may wish to abstain from updating until your applications are confirmed to work correctly, or after any ongoing projects are complete.

MacRumors forums have been maintaining a list of additional software that may not function under El Capitan without developer updates at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-working-not-working-apps.1890772/

Additional links:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/4431/os-x-10.11-el-capit an-compatibility-news/
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2015/9/30/apogee-mac-os-x-el-capitan-compatibili t

Just as a sanity check, you are not booting with nv_disable=1 correct?

i use a early compatible gtx 780 so no my friend, and adobe have acknowledge an update will be necessary and to hold off or stay on Yosemite for now, Premiere and others will work but will not take full advantage of your gpu and some people will experience adverse effects in El Capitan. So for now Premiere pro is not fully compatible with El Capitan, glitchy graphics, usb, curser, are just a few examples people are having on the adobe forum. Open CL seems one of the main issues and have been told to use software render only for now while people on nvidia should select open GL mercury render but this for now will still not work properly until the adobe update coming later. ps Hope your sanity is restored i can only guess at the level your at, no scrub here lol!

This message below was from adobe...

Peter Garaway Re: El Capitan and Premiere Pro
by Peter Garaway on Sep 30, 2015 at 8:27:30 pm

Hi Steve,

There's a few known issues with OS X 10.11 and Premiere Pro. I would not recommend updating yet. Please keep a lookout for the Premiere team announces those fixes.

Best,

Peter Garaway

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST....

Premiere Pro CC: After reports of various issues with Adobe Premiere Pro CC in El Capitan, the Premiere team has posted a article on the Premiere blog (Premiere Pro CC and Mac OS X 10.11 (‘El Capitan’)). Product manager Al Mooney says: “We are working hard to resolve these issues in an forthcoming release but currently recommend users remain on OS X 10.10.x.” If you see graphics corruption when running Premiere, a suggested workaround is to switch the Mercury Graphics Engine to software mode, although that disables GPU acceleration.

It is not yet clear whether the above problems will need fixes in OS X or in the Adobe applications. In the past, a number of issues seen in Adobe applications were because of OS X bugs that were fixed by Apple in later OS X updates.

After Effects CC: The Adobe After Effects team has posted an article (After Effects ready for Mac OS X v10.11 (El Capitan)) that says After Effects CS6 through CC 2015 have been tested and no new issues turned up.

Metal: Apple claims that the new Metal API speeds up graphically intensive software. In presentations about El Capitan, Apple used Adobe After Effects as an example, citing an 8x improvement in rendering times. It is not yet clear how real these gains are across Adobe Creative Cloud applications. I’ve seen some on social media misinterpret Apple’s After Effects demo figure as if it means all Adobe software will see an immediate 8x speed boost; that’s a gross over-generalization. On Twitter, Adobe clarified that the Metal demo showed a “preview” of “1 possibility” in After Effects. We should probably not expect widespread Metal acceleration in current versions of Adobe software, but in the future Adobe will probably take advantage of Metal where it makes sense, as they recently have in several applications with OpenCL graphics acceleration.

I also have this problem with Adobe Premiere CC. OpenCL, CUDA or Mercury Software acceleration, none of them work. When previewing footage in Premiere, the timeline freezes and doesn't play. Only solution is to quit Premiere and open it again. The freezing seems to occur when I'm doing something else (using Chrome, Finder etc) and going back to Premiere to preview footage.

After Effects, Photoshot, Illustrator and other Adobe programs run just fine. No problems.

I'm on 10.11.5 and using latest Nvidia & CUDA drivers for my GTX 970.

Anyone else having similar problems? Have you found a solution to this?

it seems El Capitan has done away with OpenGL,Open CL which Photoshop, Premiere pro, After effects uses, so until Adobe update their software to the new Metal, which is what Apple have replaced OpenGL, OpenCL with, we're screwed. People reporting very choppy and sluggish behaviour on genuine Macs. so its back to Yosemite for me until this is all sorted. Read more about it here...http://feedback.photoshop.com/photo...th-el-capitan-not-useable-anymore-choppy-slow
Does Metal work on Hackintoshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back