CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT 2/26/2013: Since posting this my download speeds have gotten much quicker. Still not as quick as on my old laptop, but I'm thinking it may not be the card now. I will see how speeds average over the next few weeks, sorry for a possibly premature post.

I just built my first Hackintosh and it is running great so far. I haven't tested every single thing yet, but after about 4 or 5 fresh installs using unibeast and multibeast, I've now got it working.

System:
GA z77n wifi mini ITX (with intel half mini pci wifi card swapped for a dell 1515 card - worked OOB)
i5 3570k
(HD 4000)
(stock cooler)
8GB DDR 3 RAM

I went online to download some larger files and came back an hour later and was surprised to find that they were still going, and not even half way done. I pulled up activity monitor and saw that my downloads are cruising along at a snails pace of about 90 KB/sec, with a peak of 205 KB / sec. When I was downloading mountain lion, it was going at nearly 4 MB/sec (we have a fast wifi), and I've downloaded files form the same site as this current 90 KB/sec at about 2 MB/sec, so it's definitely not the wifi.

Is it the Dell card?? Is there anything I can do to up my speeds? I haven't tried with an ethernet cable yet, but I will update when I do and post the speeds.

It could be your antennas. I built my wifi card myself with a Mini PCIe to PCIe adapter, and the antennas that came with it were awful. I once got them situated to give me decent reception. In the end, I replaced them with others that have higher gain, and are on a wire so I can move them around.

Thanks for this advice, I will look into that. Since my post my wifi has downloaded much faster, peaking at around 1.6 MB / sec, so that's good, but it still is not as fast as it was on my 6 year old macbook pro. I think I may have been a little quick with my post. I'll see how the speeds average over the next few weeks. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back