Contribute
Register

Slow Final Cut Pro X Performance - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Here is the situation: I've tried editing in Final Cut Pro X for the first time since I've installed this Hackintosh build (its been years since I used FCPX), and the experience was unpleasant. I'm attempting to edit a short 4k clip (2-3minutes) and the playback was so choppy that I had to use proxy files just to get the system to be useable. Rendering took ages too.

I started my search on google and found a BruceX test and followed the instructions, and it took my system 90 seconds to complete, which when compared to the specs/results of others on that site, seem way too long.

When I use HWMonitor while rendering, I don't see my system being overly taxed. Temps are around 50C, CPU utilization is around 30% and graphics card utilization jumps between 0% and 100% back and forth. Seems like something is wrong.

I built my system based upon the instructions found on "The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming..." by ModMike

Questions:
1) Any suggestions on what I can do to my hackintosh to improve the speed of FCPX? I've read some suggestions elsewhere on switching smbios. If this is a potential avenue to explore, please explain what this is, how I find it, and how I change it.
2) Is my system being limited substantially by my hardware? Would a better/different graphics card be a potential solution? If so, which?
3) Are there settings within FCPX that I'm potentially not setting correctly? If so what settings should I look into?

Here are my system specs:

Intel i7 8700k (not overclocked)
16GB G.Skill Tident Z RGB DDR4 3200
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 I Mini ITX Motherboard
RX 580 Graphics Card 8GB
Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB (x2)
Kraken X52 AIO Cooler

Thanks for those links, but how do I know which SMBIOS to choose? That's an instruction on how to change, but what do I choose?

Thanks for those links, but how do I know which SMBIOS to choose? That's an instruction on how to change, but what do I choose?
You get onto https://everymac.com and find a model that uses your CPU or another CPU from the same family. So your choice of iMac19,2 is correct because the 19,2 21" iMac uses the i7-8700 CPU.

If you're inclined to do so you might try to get Quick Sync properly implemented on your system. This will involve re-enabling the integrated GFX in BIOS and correctly injecting it, with a valid headless ID in Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back