UHD-630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hallo together,

first shout out for this awesome forum, for providing so much good information.
Without this forum, my build would never be possible.

I managed to get it all to work without one on one help, but now I'm seeking out to you to tackle my last problems I face, and somehow cannot manage to fix on my own.

First of all my boot process takes quite long (1-2 minutes), which seems to me, it means something is not working as it should. Below, I will provide my boot log. In the picture attached you can find the boot log at the points where the boot is laggy. Especially at these three lines, highlighted with the red lines.

Secondly, whenever I try to update OS X, the update fails, because it seems that the updater can't reboot in the right partition to finish the update process, instead, it just boots into the already running system partition as normal, without any update applied.

If someone could help me, figure out, what's going on and what to change to fix this, this someone would make me an even happier hackintosh user.

System: OSX 12.6.1
Opencore: 0.9.1
SSD Samsung NVME EVO 970 500 GB Format: APFS

If you need more or other information, please be gentle and just let me know. It's my first post.

Thank you already for your time.

Attachments

• boot-log.txt
    128 KB · Views: 27
  • config.plist
    25.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Have a read of the last two posts in the thread linked below regarding Samsung drives in macOS.

I don’t know if it’s going to solve all your problems but it should help.

Ok, with WD drive slow start is fixed. Worked like a charm.

But I still have the problem that OSX Updates fail with just booting normal into my current system.

How can I fix this?

When I use ctrl + Enter in the Boot menu, everything is fine with setting a ne default. -> NVRAM should work correctly, right?
I also used Mulitiboot since the beginning with a second drive of windows. -> still working as expected
OSX as default in the picker and windows chosen when needed.

Please help me to tackle down my last problem with this hack.
If you need more info or if you have some debugging steps please also let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Updating using the Apple Software option in macOS should work if you are updating from Monterey 12.6.1 to Ventura 13.3.1 (latest version).
  1. When you run the update from System Preferences > Software Update, the system should download the new version and undertake some pre-installation configuration processes.
  2. It will then reboot.
  3. When you next get to the OC Picker List after the reboot, are you offered the option to select a different Icon from your normal macOS text entry?
  4. There should be a new text option with a title something like 'Install MacOS Ventura' visible.
  5. You need to select this new 'Install...' text entry, not your normal macOS text entry for the update to proceed.
  6. If you select your normal macOS text entry then you will just boot back in to your Monterey installation with the Ventura update ignored.
If you are not provided sufficient time to review the text entries on the OC Picker List, you would be advised to temporarily increase the Misc > Boot >Timeout entry in your config.plist from 5 seconds to 10 seconds. You can always change this back once you know what you are looking at in the list.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 18.38.33.png Change Timeout entry

I have had a look at your config.plist, which was provided in post #1 above. I would comment as follows:

Your config.plist and /EFI/OC/Kexts folder contains at least three (3) kexts that you don't need for your desktop system.

You should remove the following kexts:
  • SMCBatteryManager.kext
  • SMCLightSensor.kext
  • SMCDellSensors.kext
The first 2 x kexts are required for Laptop not desktop hacks.
SMCDellSensors.kext is only required by Dell systems.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 18.25.15.png Sensor and Battery kexts not required.

As you have AirportBrcmFixup.kext and the 2 x plugin kexts disabled in your config.plist, I would recommend removing the kext from your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and the 3 x entries from your config.plist.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 18.41.33.png

CPUFriend.kext on its own does nothing helpful to your system. Without CPUFriendData.kext or an equivalent SSDT containing the custom CPU data for your system, CPUFriend.kext is a complete waste of space. It should be removed from the config and the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 18.42.21.png Redundant kexts to be removed.

Does your system require RTCMemoryFixup.kext? Have you tested to see if the kext is required? If it isn't, which I strongly believe to be the case, then you should remove this kext too.

Itlwm.kext has been disabled, remove it if you are using an intel Wireless card, and Airportitlwm.kext to activate the WiFi card.

Fix these issues and your system should boot smoother.

Thank you for your detailed post.

I did all the config and kext cleanup. Also Thank you for revising my config.
I also updated all outdated kexts.
Nothing changed so far, which is good haha and everything is nice and clean now.

But when it comes to the update, I did already know the procedure, with booting into the update system manually, from previous updates. The problem is that I do not get this update system Option any more after initializing the updater over preferences.

I'd rather not want to update to Ventura because in my opinion Apple goes down a very wrong path.
I think Monterey will be good for another couple of years.
Besides that, what I currently try to do is to get the latest Monterey 12.6.5 without any luck.

The only thing I see is a short flash of the apple logo and a progress bar right after the reboot got initiated. After that rebooting is only into the current system possible.

Do you see a change to fix this without going to Ventura?

Meanwhile what I am now trying to do is download the hole system 12.6.5 from Apple and install it out of the application folder. I will make an update on this soon.

Thanks

Ok, maybe what you should do is create a new full macOS installer on a USB drive, as if you were undertaking a clean install of Monterey 12.6.5. The macOS installer will use the USB to update the current operating system, as long as you don’t Erase the macOS drive in Disk Utility.

This seemed to be a not to good idea, because the update process failed with the error attached.
After that my hole system was corrupted.
Now I needed to format and reinstall the hole system.
Nothing to worry about to much but it will cost me a lot of time doing that and restore the TMBackup.

I did the same procedure for the last OS updates and this is quite annoying, that's why I also decided to open a threat here. I want to resolve this issue.

I am still open for any suggestions, but please do not break my system to often, I do not have that much time actually and restoring take me solid 24 hours because I have a lot of data on it.

At the end now I will be at 12.6.5 anyway, because I think it is a great chance to use this mess du update right away and the installer is already there.

Thank you for helping.

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpeg
    IMG_5358.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
Back