1. eMac
  2. LC
  3. Performa
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just a quick reminder on how strange reasons can sometimes contribute to Hack problems.

Many of us have had their share of sleep / hibernation issues on their Hackintosh (as do some real Mac owners!) and I've written a topic with lengthy discussion on this elsewhere on this forum (sorry for not providing the link this time but it's easy enough to find through my profile). I'm currently running 10.15.3 and all is well in that respect. But it wasn't three days ago.

Three days back I installed two pieces of software: the Aerial screensaver and X-Plane 11. Even before that, for some four years now, I've had a
Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X USB controller attached to my system with no issues. I've also had X-Plane 11 installed earlier but didn't keep it because its performance was worse than on the Windows side. So when my Hack immediately started to have sleep issues I took it for certain that the reason was Aerial. I even found long discussions on this. The command "pmset -g assertions" in Terminal listed IODisplayWrangler as the source and that proved also to be a heated topic. The others had the same problem: display would go black for a couple of seconds only to wake up again. There was no way to put the thing to sleep even after completely uninstalling Aerial. Grudgingly I had to do a power off every night.

I decided to be persistent and kept reading discussions. It was pure luck that I stumbled into a little remark about X-Plane 11. Among a list of print queue resets and so on someone said: "X-Plane 11 forced me to unplug my USB sim controller to get working sleep." Not expecting much I unplugged the T Flight and wouldn't you know: it worked. Damn. I don't know what it is about X-Plane's code that causes this but I can live this. It doesn't take much to plug the USB back in to be able to fly.

Yet to be tested whether Aerial introduces problems. I'm going to give it another try and if problems emerge I'll keep you posted! But as a lesson: I could have started to tinker with the config.plist file, trying dozens of combinations and such, never realizing the true culprit. The best solution is always to reverse your steps and think back to what you changed last before you lost functionality. The explanation can be something surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back