Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell E7440
CPU
i5-4300U
Graphics
Intel HD 4400
This happens only when the laptop is on the docking station AND the DVI port is plugged in. When trying to put it to sleep, it causes KP and reboots. When trying to shutdown, it also causes KP and reboots.

If DVI port is not plugged in, there is no such issue. Everything works fine (with or without docking station). Attached are the debug files.

How can I tell what caused the KP? I'm wondering if some additional DSDT patch is needed to fix this, but I don't know what to look for. Any suggestion is appreciated!

This happens only when the laptop is on the docking station AND the DVI port is plugged in. When trying to put it to sleep, it causes KP and reboots. When trying to shutdown, it also causes KP and reboots.

If DVI port is not plugged in, there is no such issue. Everything works fine (with or without docking station). Attached are the debug files.

How can I tell what caused the KP? I'm wondering if some additional DSDT patch is needed to fix this, but I don't know what to look for. Any suggestion is appreciated!

The DVI display is connected to framebuffer@2 ??

Hi, RehabMan

Yes, DVI is connected to framebuffer@2. It seems @0 is the internal display, and @1 is built-in HDMI. All video ports from the docking station are on @2 (DVI and DP). Both docking station video ports have this sleep and shutdown crash problem. So I think I may need some DSDT patch for the docking station?

Hi, RehabMan

Yes, DVI is connected to framebuffer@2. It seems @0 is the internal display, and @1 is built-in HDMI. All video ports from the docking station are on @2 (DVI and DP). Both docking station video ports have this sleep and shutdown crash problem. So I think I may need some DSDT patch for the docking station?

You might want to try patching the connector-type for DVI.
But DVI may just be unreliable. AFAIK, Macs don't have DVI ports.

You have a backtrace, so you could also start investigating what code is crashing (involves disassembly of the kext binaries and matching up the return addresses on the stack to the disassembled code...)

Thanks, RehabMan. If the patch you are referring to is the frame buffer patch, I'm already doing that. I need to change the port type to DVI to get the video out.

The DP out from the docking station has the same crash issue. So I think it might be the docking station that caused this. Is there some power management patch I need to do for the docking station? While I guess my first question is, how can I find out what caused the KP? Which log has that info? I checked the panic logs but it seems they only have the kext log.

Thanks, RehabMan. If the patch you are referring to is the frame buffer patch, I'm already doing that. I need to change the port type to DVI to get the video out.

The DP out from the docking station has the same crash issue. So I think it might be the docking station that caused this. Is there some power management patch I need to do for the docking station? While I guess my first question is, how can I find out what caused the KP? Which log has that info? I checked the panic logs but it seems they only have the kext log.

No ideas really... I have no docking stations here, and Macs don't have them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back