CPU
Intel i3 6100
Graphics
XFX AMD RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Every time I do a fresh install of macOS whether it be Sierra or High Sierra, any Electron application like Slack or Figma fails to execute properly, and I get a white background. Chrome also has a similar issue where it doesn't load the webpages or new tab, however a shutdown fixes that. Does anyone have a similar issue or could help me? I don't know what other information I should provide but if you need anything, just ask.

I don't have a solution for you (or myself for that matter), but I'm thinking it might be an AMD graphics card issue. Just put together my first AMD build (Vega 64) and I'm having issues with Slack and Discord. I've never seen anything like it with an Nvidia build, although my experience is pretty limited (I've only done two Nvidia builds). Slack freezes the whole system and eventually the screen will go black and appear back at login—without rebooting the entire system. When I log back in I have to be quick to force quit Slack or it will loop for a while before shutting down.

I use Slack extensively for work, so I'll be actively looking for a solution. If I figure anything out I'll be sure to follow up. At least Slack and Discord have decent web apps to use until then!

I don't have a solution for you (or myself for that matter), but I'm thinking it might be an AMD graphics card issue. Just put together my first AMD build (Vega 64) and I'm having issues with Slack and Discord. I've never seen anything like it with an Nvidia build, although my experience is pretty limited (I've only done two Nvidia builds). Slack freezes the whole system and eventually the screen will go black and appear back at login—without rebooting the entire system. When I log back in I have to be quick to force quit Slack or it will loop for a while before shutting down.

I use Slack extensively for work, so I'll be actively looking for a solution. If I figure anything out I'll be sure to follow up. At least Slack and Discord have decent web apps to use until then!

For me it doesn't freeze the whole system, but the actual app is unresponsive and even force quitting takes a while, similar things happen to chrome by chance like I said. Also, doesn't Apple use and chips in their computers? I think having a common base would allow for better compatibility. Please do try and diagnose it, I don't like being stuck with a white screen on my desktop apps.

I'm gonna try putting in an old AMD card, see what happens

Every time I do a fresh install of macOS whether it be Sierra or High Sierra, any Electron application like Slack or Figma fails to execute properly, and I get a white background. Chrome also has a similar issue where it doesn't load the webpages or new tab, however a shutdown fixes that. Does anyone have a similar issue or could help me? I don't know what other information I should provide but if you need anything, just ask.

Most likely a Graphics issue. Try onboard IGPU.

Hey @Newtsrock, not sure if you've seen in other threads, but the newest beta release of 10.13.2 fixes the graphics acceleration issue that was preventing these apps from working

All I did was sign up for beta access (here: https://beta.apple.com/ ), run the app they give you, then install the beta from the Mac App Store. I can't be sure if that will work on your system or not, but it did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back