Contribute
Register

SL to ML screwup: I don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the next first step is how do I get back into ML to run MB?

You should be able to boot into your install on your HDD via Unibeast USB...

I did try that and got to the static grey apple logo with no spinning. Perhaps I need to remove my GPU card again? I'll give that a go.

Or boot with "-v" so you have some idea where it is stopping... Also could try various boot flags you might have tried originally when you installed.

Success - almost! SL to ML

OK, I got back into ML with no GPU card and -x GraphicsEnabler=0

Now to take some more baby steps. This is all new territory for me since my experience prior to this build was limited to installing a card or two in a Windoze box, let alone changing BIOS settings. Editing plist? OMG!

Thanks again

I seem to have dug myself a deeper hole now in this process.

I am typing this from ML 10.8.3, however, so that's at least a step in the right direction.

After much reading/studying the forum, I believe I successfully updated my P8Z77-I Deluxe BIOS, using the USB BIOS Flashback feature and the appropriate file from the Z77 BIOS Repo and the recommended tweaks (AHCI, etc.) I was then able to boot into ML without the UniBeast USB stick, although - and this is a big ALTHOUGH - not before removing my GPU card and not without entering "-x GraphicsEnabler=No" at the still named "SnowLeopard" SDD.

But now I've really screwed things up by attempting to install a patched DSDT (from PJALM's ASUS Patch Repo) using MaciASL and MultiBeast. In spite of going over the instructions again and again, something is not right, and now I get a fuzzy screen with squiggly lines in the top 5/8's. I can get into a normal looking ML desktop only by booting from UniBeast USB and doing "-x GraphicsEnabler=No DSDT=Null".

Perhaps I'll post over there about what I did and find out what I need to do. I'd rather not start over from zero again, because I believe with the right guidance it's an easy fix. I just can't find it!

Chameleon Wizard to change the various org.chameleon.Boot.plist options. Or TextEdit (/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist).
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from Multibeast.
SSDT generation script from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html
Check for Processor in DSDT by searching your DSDT for 'Processor' in MaciASL.

Rehabman, I hope you see this and can point me in the right direction.

I believe I have successfully followed the instructions to flash my BIOS with a patched version from the repo. I had previously updated it to the latest from ASUS - 0902 - but now it shows 0802, which I believe is what is in the repo.

After a lot of reading and more trial and error, I figured out how to get to /Extra folder. Here is what is in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. This was after I had removed the existing DSDT.aml there and I had run MultiBeast DSDT-free with patched AICPM.kext, hnak's intel, and GE=No:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Here's what I get when I search 'Processor' in the DSDT file I had removed:

Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (CPU0, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU1, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU2, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU3, 0x04, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU4, 0x05, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU5, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU6, 0x07, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU7, 0x08, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
}

This DSDT.aml was compiled with MaciAsL, with two patches. First the P8Z77-I Deluxe and then the Graphics patch (HD4000)from the repo.

I also snapped a pic of the -v boot log at startup. Sorry about the poor quality.

ThaiWay -v boot.jpg

I have as yet not tried Chamelion Wizard or SSDT. I need to learn more first.

The only way I can get into ML successfully is with -x bootflag.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• ThaiWay -v boot.jpg
    ThaiWay -v boot.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
Rehabman, I hope you see this and can point me in the right direction.

I believe I have successfully followed the instructions to flash my BIOS with a patched version from the repo. I had previously updated it to the latest from ASUS - 0902 - but now it shows 0802, which I believe is what is in the repo.

After a lot of reading and more trial and error, I figured out how to get to /Extra folder. Here is what is in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. This was after I had removed the existing DSDT.aml there and I had run MultiBeast DSDT-free with patched AICPM.kext, hnak's intel, and GE=No:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>darkwake=0</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Suggest you add DropSSDT=Yes, change GeneratePStates/CStates=No (and install an SSDT).

Also, since you have patched BIOS, you don't need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. You should be able to run with the stock version.

Here's what I get when I search 'Processor' in the DSDT file I had removed:

Code:
  Scope (_PR)
    {
    }

Why would you remove that section? It is required for power management. I asked you to look for it, because on boards that don't have it, you have to add it.

This DSDT.aml was compiled with MaciAsL, with two patches. First the P8Z77-I Deluxe and then the Graphics patch (HD4000)from the repo.

I also snapped a pic of the -v boot log at startup. Sorry about the poor quality.

View attachment 57756

I have as yet not tried Chamelion Wizard or SSDT. I need to learn more first.

Power management is something you generally have to implement completely, or you run into issues. It is an all-or-nothing kind of thing. Research everything first, prepare, then put everything into place at one time.

RehabMan! Thanks so much for the post. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Well, I will! It is priceless. TY Ty tY. I will have to work on your suggestions, but at this moment, there has been some progress.

....Why would you remove that section? It is required for power management. I asked you to look for it, because on boards that don't have it, you have to add it...

Sorry for the miscommunication; it was actually the whole DSDT I removed (and later replaced with a newly patched version.) After I saved it on the desktop and opened I just copied that section about the PR search to my post. I also notice that in verbose boot the CPU is "unknown." I just checked the newly patched DSDT and it shows:

Scope (_PR)
{
}

I actually had a Ureka! OMG! moment an hour ago. After much trial and error, I came to the conclusion that the fuzzy lines I get on the top 5/8ths of my monitor may in fact be a setting issue. Something simple like resolution! So I added to the org.chameleion.boot.plist :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

and I rebooted into ML with no boot flags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, however, after installing my Gigabyte GeForce 660Ti, replugging in the USB3.0 header and the OD, I can get there only with GE=No or -x

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back