Contribute
Register

SL on external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok the snow leopard disk shows up now but when i hit enter it goes to a black screen. I was looking through the guides and my computer is already setup to AHCI so i dont think thats the problem. another step was to set the power in suspend mode s3 (just off the top of my head) and to do something to change to 64 bit. The problem is i didnt see any of those settings in my bios along with any AHCI /IDE options. From looking around i can see that my bios seems kinda shitty and might not let me change things i need to to get this to work. any suggestions or help is appreciated. I know doing this on an external might not seem worth it but if i can get this to work id be more comfortable formating partitions on my hard drive and trying to dual boot internally.

Landeye said:
Ok the snow leopard disk shows up now but when i hit enter it goes to a black screen. I was looking through the guides and my computer is already setup to AHCI so i dont think thats the problem. another step was to set the power in suspend mode s3 (just off the top of my head) and to do something to change to 64 bit. The problem is i didnt see any of those settings in my bios along with any AHCI /IDE options. From looking around i can see that my bios seems kinda shitty and might not let me change things i need to to get this to work. any suggestions or help is appreciated. I know doing this on an external might not seem worth it but if i can get this to work id be more comfortable formating partitions on my hard drive and trying to dual boot internally.
You need to do some research and find out what you need to do to get that HD6770M gfx working in SL.
Can you boot with the iBoot disc and select the OS X icon and get to the desktop?

No when i boot with iboot and put the SL disk in nothing happens. Ive tried using the PCIRootUID=1 and -x but still nothing but a black screen. thanks for the info ill look up what you said

Ok...

1 put iboot
2 in iboot, change the iboot disk for the leopard dvd
3 hit f5
4 press enter in the dvd icon

I recommend use between 3 and 4 step, type -x... This:

f5
-x
v

You are all talking about USB being really slow, so it should not be used as a boot drive; however, how about the case of USB 3.0. The speed USB 3.0 sports is more on par with SATA. I do not see how it would make any difference in performance if you used 3.0. Any thoughts?

Am Yisrael Chai said:
You are all talking about USB being really slow, so it should not be used as a boot drive; however, how about the case of USB 3.0. The speed USB 3.0 sports is more on par with SATA. I do not see how it would make any difference in performance if you used 3.0. Any thoughts?

Hey, i checked out many websites which listed benchmarks results of USB 3.0 speeds(75 mbps) , which is practically just 3 times that of usb 2.0 (25 mbps). SATA hard drives are still better with speads of around 95 - 105 mbps. I dunno how much affect that would have on an OS installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back