Graphics
Radeon
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The hardware in question is a HP 4530s, i7, 2670QM with 4 GB RAM.

On my third or fourth attempt, I successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and fixed the boot0 issue as well. Had a functional, bootable system. Upgraded to 10.6.8, downloaded ML, created the Unibeast USB per instructions.

Today, I installed ML on a separate partition using the Unibeast USB stick. It went fine, and even imported all my user accounts and setting from the SL partition on the same HD.

I tried rebooting the system to apply the multibeast patches to ML.

Now I cannot reboot from either partition or the ML USB stick -- Missing operating system. There are no other OS's installed on this machine.

Any ideas? I have the following tools handy -- Ubuntu 12.04 live CD ; Knoppix 7.05 live CD; Snow Leopard DVD; Mountain Lion on a USB; No other OS X machines; have other functional XP/7/Linux machines as needed.

Thanks.

The hardware in question is a HP 4530s, i7, 2670QM with 4 GB RAM.

On my third or fourth attempt, I successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and fixed the boot0 issue as well. Had a functional, bootable system. Upgraded to 10.6.8, downloaded ML, created the Unibeast USB per instructions.

Today, I installed ML on a separate partition using the Unibeast USB stick. It went fine, and even imported all my user accounts and setting from the SL partition on the same HD.

I tried rebooting the system to apply the multibeast patches to ML.

Now I cannot reboot from either partition or the ML USB stick -- Missing operating system. There are no other OS's installed on this machine.

Any ideas? I have the following tools handy -- Ubuntu 12.04 live CD ; Knoppix 7.05 live CD; Snow Leopard DVD; Mountain Lion on a USB; No other OS X machines; have other functional XP/7/Linux machines as needed.

Thanks.

Did you reinstall Chimera? You probably don't have an active partition, or your active partition is lacking a partition boot record.

I reinstalled chimera and that solved half the problem -- Thanks for the tip.

SL boots fine now. ML still does not. The out put from

ML with boot option -v gets me as far as --

ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5]
PFM64 (36 cpu) 0xf0000000, 0x80000000
RTC: Onl

and hangs there.

I reinstalled chimera and that solved half the problem -- Thanks for the tip.

SL boots fine now. ML still does not. The out put from

ML with boot option -v gets me as far as --

ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5]
PFM64 (36 cpu) 0xf0000000, 0x80000000
RTC: Onl

and hangs there.

How did you install ML? You are in the Lion forum, so perhaps you didn't notice the guide in the ML ProBook forum....

I suggest you do a clean install of ML following the ProBook guide but use ProBook Installer v6.1 (beta).
You will find everything you need in the ML ProBook Forum.

How did you install ML? You are in the Lion forum, so perhaps you didn't notice the guide in the ML ProBook forum....

I suggest you do a clean install of ML following the ProBook guide but use ProBook Installer v6.1 (beta).
You will find everything you need in the ML ProBook Forum.

I started out with SL on the first partition. Installed 10.6.3 using iBoot, upgraded to 10.6.8. Fixed boot0 error, had a bootable system.

Created Unibeast USB, and did a clean installation of ML on a new partition using the ML guide. At the end of installation, ML offered to migrate my settings from SL, which I ok'ed. At the end of this process it stopped booting at all -- missing OS error.

Rebooted from USB, did another clean install of ML (left SL untouched). Still would'nt boot. Installed Chimera 2.0, now the machine boots SL fine, but hangs on ML. I have installed Chimera on both partitions (SL and ML), does it matter?

I am not able to run the Probook installer at the end of ML installation because it is not yet booting into the ML partition. I will try reinstalling ML if I need to scrape off Chimera from ML partition. I might also try booting from a linux cd and setting the boot flag on ML.

I started out with SL on the first partition. Installed 10.6.3 using iBoot, upgraded to 10.6.8. Fixed boot0 error, had a bootable system.

Created Unibeast USB, and did a clean installation of ML on a new partition using the ML guide. At the end of installation, ML offered to migrate my settings from SL, which I ok'ed. At the end of this process it stopped booting at all -- missing OS error.

Don't migrate. Stick with clean install.

Rebooted from USB, did another clean install of ML (left SL untouched). Still would'nt boot. Installed Chimera 2.0, now the machine boots SL fine, but hangs on ML. I have installed Chimera on both partitions (SL and ML), does it matter?

I am not able to run the Probook installer at the end of ML installation because it is not yet booting into the ML partition. I will try reinstalling ML if I need to scrape off Chimera from ML partition. I might also try booting from a linux cd and setting the boot flag on ML.

Read the guide. Second boot (just after install), you need to boot using USB. This is clearly stated in the guide.

I did - The second boot with USB did not work, I only got the option to reinstall ML. I remember that well because that's where I gained experience (messed up :oops:) when installing SL...

I did - The second boot with USB did not work, I only got the option to reinstall ML. I remember that well because that's where I gained experience (messed up :oops:) when installing SL...

You boot using the USB, but you select the partition where you installed OS X on your HDD in the previous steps.

Quoting step 12:
"12. After it restarts, you will need to once again hit Esc then F9. Then select the USB hard drive again. This time, select the partition you just installed Mountain Lion on, and hit enter. Make sure you leave the flash drive plugged in."

I will restart from scratch with ML installation. Thank you for your patience. BTW, I did follow step 12 verbatim, but the hangup happens anyway, even though I booted from the USB and selected the partition with ML on it. Perhaps there is something else going on... I will keep you posted. Thanks.

Finally I have a dual-boot SL/ML probook after a clean install - no migration from SL settings.
:)

I plan on reading up on Chimera to change the boot order (it boots to SL by default) and install Knoppix, and Win 7 last.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back